Why TaylorMade Should Not Release A New Driver

You mean like an Aeroburner......

Areo still was a weight low/forward design.
The M2 has a weight port in the rear like the pic of the r9 above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

speedpolice_304_puppets_taylormade.jpg

If it does not change in 20 minutes, we will sadly just delete the thread.

1079510da1c089b20d7390f3bfe4edea.jpg

c7df23b5a8b64ca2a0113c1338009043.jpg

20031836a26f0e925bb9d69f708a0069.jpg

And we are back. Thanks everybody!

Back to the original question. The title is "Why TaylorMade Should Not Release Another Driver?" My observation is that the article provides one, and only one reason to support their premise and event that one premise IMO was NOT fully explored. This is a classic case of single factor analysis with the single factor only partially covered and that is my major issue. Companies have struggled with this question of when, how and how often to release new products for some time and the answers do vary by industry. But let me illustrate weaknesses in this article by listing just a few of the things the article doesn't cover that should be considered in deciding on the answer to these questions. Let's start first with inventory management.
Manipulating new product introduction dates is only one of several ways to manage inventory. Communicating plans with dealers, product roadmaps, re-positioning, spiffs, rebates, co-marketing, trade-in and buy back programs are just a few of the many methods used by manufacturers and dealers to manage product inventory. None of these were discussed to any degree and my observation is that there is considerable room for improvement at TaylorMade with several of these. And this is just a partial list of what the author did not cover regarding inventory control.

Now let's move on to the many other factors that should be considered in deciding a product release. Is the product ready? Is it superior to an existing product? Is the product competitive to superior to other products it will compete against? Will it strengthen or broaden our product line?

The author does not consider any of these or makes assumptions without any evidence that they are correct. [For example, the author *assumes* any new product coming out MUST be replacing the M1, yet provides no evidence or even hints at knowing whether this is the case.]

So the article gave us something to talk about, which is fine. But if this was a proposal from a product manager or executive inside TaylorMade it would be the kind of thing that could get a person fired.

Back to the original question. The title is "Why TaylorMade Should Not Release Another Driver?" My observation is that the article provides one, and only one reason to support their premise and event that one premise IMO was NOT fully explored. This is a classic case of single factor analysis with the single factor only partially covered and that is my major issue. Companies have struggled with this question of when, how and how often to release new products for some time and the answers do vary by industry. But let me illustrate weaknesses in this article by listing just a few of the things the article doesn't cover that should be considered in deciding on the answer to these questions. Let's start first with inventory management.
Manipulating new product introduction dates is only one of several ways to manage inventory. Communicating plans with dealers, product roadmaps, re-positioning, spiffs, rebates, co-marketing, trade-in and buy back programs are just a few of the many methods used by manufacturers and dealers to manage product inventory. None of these were discussed to any degree and my observation is that there is considerable room for improvement at TaylorMade with several of these. And this is just a partial list of what the author did not cover regarding inventory control.

Now let's move on to the many other factors that should be considered in deciding a product release. Is the product ready? Is it superior to an existing product? Is the product competitive to superior to other products it will compete against? Will it strengthen or broaden our product line?

The author does not consider any of these or makes assumptions without any evidence that they are correct. [For example, the author *assumes* any new product coming out MUST be replacing the M1, yet provides no evidence or even hints at knowing whether this is the case.]

So the article gave us something to talk about, which is fine. But if this was a proposal from a product manager or executive inside TaylorMade it would be the kind of thing that could get a person fired.

Actually the article says nothing about a driver replacing the M1. In fact it says the complete opposite. From the article on the home page

This new product would not be a replacement for the M1, but actually compliment it from a price stand point and fall in line where the previous AeroBurner model was.

I agree with the editorial that TM's product cycles are way too fast for the market to keep up. Nothing wrong with having a couple of good products out and let their performance carry them.

To have 5 to 6 drivers in a span of a couple of years is overwhelming, and it smacks of competing with your own products and creates doubt in the marketplace of your own products.

I agree with the editorial that TM's product cycles are way too fast for the market to keep up. Nothing wrong with having a couple of good products out and let their performance carry them.

To have 5 to 6 drivers in a span of a couple of years is overwhelming, and it smacks of competing with your own products and creates doubt in the marketplace of your own products.

Ill be honest and say that as the writer of the article, I definitely do not think that fast product cycles is the issue.

No faster than Callaway and others... it's the type ( drivers that seem to be designed to do the same thing ) and amount of inventory that are ( hopefully were ) the issues as far as I see.

Might be just me, but TM lost me when they had RBZ and R 11 out. After that it was a blur. R11S, RBZ 2, R 1, Jetspeed, jetspeed 2, SLDR, aeroBurner, and R15.

Last edited:
I'd like to see them follow through in the steel driver market.
The 253cc AeroBurner TP steel driver was a great club with very tacky cosmetics.

They could try classing that up a little.

As for me, I miss the days when stores only sold inexpensive store models like the Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge or the McGregor Jack Nicklaus Golden Bear.

In my old man's world, serious equipment should be sold either from green grass pro shops with fitting or through direct marketing from the club maker without it. The Nevada Bob's, Edwin Watts, Golf Galaxy, Golfsmith, TGW, and Dick's of the world don't do anything for me. I don't wish them any bad luck, nor would I deprive their customers of the opportunity to patronize them. For me, though, I'm not going to get gear that I want from any of them. They just don't have it.

Bring It On

Bring It On

My answer and question is, why not? As a TM fan, I'll occasional splurge and pick up a new TM driver, but I'm just as happy waiting a bit and getting a deal on a new or used driver just because I know the prices will drop real fast when the new models get released. I played the original Bubble Burner and in recent history have gone from the 2007 Burner TP > Burner TP Superfast > RBZ Tour TP > AeroBurner TP. I skipped a lot models and I didn't buy a new driver every year.

What's wrong with your article? Number one, it's a troll. If the title were "Should Taylormade Release A New Driver" then I'd be a bit more kind, even though the forum replies might come out the same, at least your position would seem less biased. Secondarily, your troll just brings out all the TM haters. The question should be, what's up with all the TM haters? No doubt TM garners more pure hate then any other brand. Why even bother reading and responding to TM threads when you can go to your bag and kiss all you Titliests:D Lastly, your article alludes to production numbers and sales figures, but no details, like what numbers, for what products and where are they coming from. You're like a sports fan that knows they can fix the team, but it ain't going to happen. Are you an MBA, CEO or just a keyboard guru like the rest of us? Inventory control??? Is this a golf forum or business 101? The M1 may be a great driver, but it's just another SLDR or R15 to me. A $500 driver fixing what is wrong with Taylormade (and the golf industry) is laughable. A market cycle that filters down top end products in a short time to the masses makes a lot more sense and it's what put Taylormade on top for so long. You spend $400 on a SLDR, another $400 on the R15, jump on the M1 for $500 and then you're mad because you want the production cycle to be slower (not "you" the author, but a general "you")? More $$$ then sense I say, but there are buyers out there that do exactly that. The M1 is not the be all, end all driver and I say bring on the "M2" ASAP. Not going to buy it, but can't wait to see it.

Taylormade should release a new driver. I want to see it, but have no desire to buy it.

Makes sense.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

My answer and question is, why not? As a TM fan, I'll occasional splurge and pick up a new TM driver, but I'm just as happy waiting a bit and getting a deal on a new or used driver just because I know the prices will drop real fast when the new models get released. I played the original Bubble Burner and in recent history have gone from the 2007 Burner TP > Burner TP Superfast > RBZ Tour TP > AeroBurner TP. I skipped a lot models and I didn't buy a new driver every year.

What's wrong with your article? Number one, it's a troll. If the title were "Should Taylormade Release A New Driver" then I'd be a bit more kind, even though the forum replies might come out the same, at least your position would seem less biased. Secondarily, your troll just brings out all the TM haters. The question should be, what's up with all the TM haters? No doubt TM garners more pure hate then any other brand. Why even bother reading and responding to TM threads when you can go to your bag and kiss all you Titliests:D Lastly, your article alludes to production numbers and sales figures, but no details, like what numbers, for what products and where are they coming from. You're like a sports fan that knows they can fix the team, but it ain't going to happen. Are you an MBA, CEO or just a keyboard guru like the rest of us? Inventory control??? Is this a golf forum or business 101? The M1 may be a great driver, but it's just another SLDR or R15 to me. A $500 driver fixing what is wrong with Taylormade (and the golf industry) is laughable. A market cycle that filters down top end products in a short time to the masses makes a lot more sense and it's what put Taylormade on top for so long. You spend $400 on a SLDR, another $400 on the R15, jump on the M1 for $500 and then you're mad because you want the production cycle to be slower (not "you" the author, but a general "you")? More $$$ then sense I say, but there are buyers out there that do exactly that. The M1 is not the be all, end all driver and I say bring on the "M2" ASAP. Not going to buy it, but can't wait to see it.

Im not going to lie, this is really funny.
You clearly missed the point of the article and if you read through this thread and the comments you will see exactly where the figures came from, and yes they are real. Its not an anti-TaylorMade article, its a complimentary TaylorMade article about how they have regained their metal woods favor and should run with it rather than make the picture more cloudy with another release so soon after regaining the #1 driver sold label.

You have the right to your opinion on the article of course, just like I have my right to the one in which I wrote.

And I think you have this forum confused with some others...

Why take time to read and comprehend something when you can just jump to conclusions?

I still don't get any bit of a negative TM vibe from the article...but maybe that's just me.

As for myself, if you look at my bag, I'm gaming TM products right now. When RBZ first came out, the buzz here was that it was a "game-changer" (words from a local club-fitter) and seemed the best thing since titanium because my buddies who went to the USA got fitted for them instead of other brands.

The slot seemed to be a bona-fide innovation as other brands started incorporating that into their own clubs.

But like I said, somewhere between then and now they lost me with all the models and names they put out, and I don't know whatever happened to that slot. To me it felt that they had a good thing going, but they stumbled somewhere along the way. It's possible that the innovation evolved and is being used in their newer models like the aero Burner, but they lost me as a consumer who keeps a close watch on what's coming out.

The M1 is not the be all, end all driver and I say bring on the "M2" ASAP. Not going to buy it, but can't wait to see it.

What? I don't want to speak for an entire OEM... but this seems exactly what they DON'T want. People that clamor for more frequent releases... yet have no intention of purchasing said product.

I side with the author here, TM should build off this success, but not ride its coattails and get a quick release to "strike while the irons hot". Use this success, hit R&D hard, and come up with the next big innovation that warrants an event and pushes other manufacturers to do the same.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

This month's Golf Magazine has a multi-page ad foreshadowing the release of the M2 line on 2/19. Driver appears to have the same carbon fiber top as the M1, adjustable hosel (I think, it's a bit hard to tell), speed pocket on the bottom and rear stationary weight in the back center. Fairway wood does not appear to be adjustable but most likely also has the same carbon top as the M1 fairway. It's hard to see the rescue/hybrid based on the image very well but the head looks pretty big. It could just be the photo though.

If anyone has the digital issue of Golf Magazine already the ad is at the beginning of the magazine. I haven't gotten my actual copy in the mail yet.

This month's Golf Magazine has a multi-page ad foreshadowing the release of the M2 line on 2/19. Driver appears to have the same carbon fiber top as the M1, adjustable hosel (I think, it's a bit hard to tell), speed pocket on the bottom and rear stationary weight in the back center. Fairway wood does not appear to be adjustable but most likely also has the same carbon top as the M1 fairway. It's hard to see the rescue/hybrid based on the image very well but the head looks pretty big. It could just be the photo though.

If anyone has the digital issue of Golf Magazine already the ad is at the beginning of the magazine. I haven't gotten my actual copy in the mail yet.

I just checked the digital edition (I get it) and I'm not entirely convinced we're talking M2 here. I'll try and post the ad later today but the tag line is "On 2.19.16 the M family is complete". The picture show the driver, fairway and hybrid side-by-side (and from what I can see the fairway looks adjustable) but also laying across in front of them is an iron.

My initial impression is not change to the existing clubs but perhaps an M1 iron line? That would make a lot of sense to maximize on the success of the driver.

I just checked the digital edition (I get it) and I'm not entirely convinced we're talking M2 here. I'll try and post the ad later today but the tag line is "On 2.19.16 the M family is complete". The picture show the driver, fairway and hybrid side-by-side (and from what I can see the fairway looks adjustable) but also laying across in front of them is an iron.

My initial impression is not change to the existing clubs but perhaps an M1 iron line? That would make a lot of sense to maximize on the success of the driver.
There is indeed another driver coming.

Back