Tiger & Ryder Cup

I think Tiger needs to sit. Not so much for himself, but for the US Team. Pavin doesn't need the sideshow and Tiger doesn't intimidate like he used to.

Think about how much pressure is on Pavin to pick Tiger... Sponsors, viewing audience, etc. We know that TV ratings JUMP when Tiger plays vs when Tiger doesn't play. Even when he is playing poorly. While the Ryder Cup team may be better off without Tiger it would be an easy argument that golf in America is better off with Tiger playing. More exposure, more sponsors, more people watching.

For what its worth, I think this is an issue of 'record'. Pavin thought he was off the record, Gray thought he was on the record... leading to this.

The Pavin/Gray story will add more interest in the Ryder Cup among non-golf fans. It's a shame that the media is doing more than reporting the Ryder Cup - with Gray, they're becoming more the talk of the RC than the players.

Pavin - Gray Heated Exchange

There are rumors going around after his disaster so far in the WGC that Tiger will play in the PGA Championship and then skip the Ryder Cup and possibly the Fed Ex Cup.

Two things/questions come to mind as I ponder those rumors.

1. He may not have a choice in skipping the Ryder Cup if he does not win the PGA Championship. He would most likely be a Captains Choice, but for the 1st time that I can remember, it is not a lock.

2. If the rumors are true, does anybody look at it like quitting? Not sure where I fall on this one, but I could see both sides of the argument.

Then it brings the 3rd discussion on the subject, will his people and the media play it off that he is stepping away for personal reasons to sort things out, or will it finally be that his game needs work and he is hiring a coach to work on getting back?

So many questions about the man that is clearly only a shell of his former self on the golf course (right now) and obviously needs the off season here to get back in game shape.

IMO, I think he will be at the Cup. Whether he sucks or is torching the field, he is a draw. American golf cannot afford for him not to be there and I believe that his people have told him that with the way he has answered the questions. Ol' Micelli won't like it but that's the way the cookie crumbles. I believe whether he wins or loses at the PGA Championship, play the cup and DISAPPEAR until next year.

His game is going more changes than a chameleon and he needs to fix it, plus get his head cleared and settled for the next season. Then, he will return to form...

I only see one way for this to be a win for Mr. Woods, and that's for him to light up Celtic Manor with incredible matches and blow away his opponents. But with the recent state of his game, I can't see that big a change happening between now and the opening of the Ryder Cup. His Ryder Cup record is decent, but I've never thought him to be much of a team guy -- much more of a "me" guy. If he stinks up the joint it's bad for him, for the U.S. team and for Corey Pavin. If there are so many distractions caused by his presence that the whole team stinks the joint up, it's even worse. IMO, the best thing would be if he didn't make the top 8 and either had a quiet word with Pavin about not picking him, or made a statement about shutting it down until he works out his swing.

I love that people are getting up in arms over this. I mean he was asked a question and he answered it. This is what we should want out of players, rather than PR speak. He was nice about it, honest, etc...

More and more I think that, for the sake of golf in america, Tiger needs to be on the Ryder Cup team. I don't like it, but tiger adds a level of interest to any eevnt he enters. Causual fans only watching the Ryder Cup because of TW will be exposed to good golfers from around the world- maybe even inspiring them to pick up the sport. Ulitmately, regardless of whether he helps or hurts the USA team (my money is on hurts) his presence is good for the sport of golf.

I think Rory showed great confidence. Now what would actually happen in that match I'm not too sure about, but it'll get me to watch for sure!

I think Rory showed great confidence. Now what would actually happen in that match I'm not too sure about, but it'll get me to watch for sure!

Remember Stephen Ames before the Accenture match play event? Yep, same ending for Rory in this one. You don't say crap about the state of Tiger's game, people should know that by now. I bet you anything Tiger plays Rory Sunday singles. **If he makes the team!**

Remember Stephen Ames before the Accenture match play event? Yep, same ending for Rory in this one. You don't say crap about the state of Tiger's game, people should know that by now. I bet you anything Tiger plays Rory Sunday singles. **If he makes the team!**

Or how about Rory Saboweenie? But the fact is, he was asked a question and answered honestly. Is he above criticism? I dont think so. And frankly he wasnt criticized.

Rory was being honest...nothing wrong with that. I don't think Tiger would disagree completely with what he said. Doesn't mean he won't use that for some motivation.

The one thing that's different about this time is all of the other instances occurred when it was the "old" tiger mentally. I don't know how he'd react this time. It will be interesting to see.

Or how about Rory Saboweenie? But the fact is, he was asked a question and answered honestly. Is he above criticism? I dont think so. And frankly he wasnt criticized.
I don't think Tiger was criticized by Ames either, but Tiger took it that was and pounded him for it!
Rory was being honest...nothing wrong with that. I don't think Tiger would disagree completely with what he said. Doesn't mean he won't use that for some motivation.
Again, case in point- I think Stephen Ames was just answering the question too but Tiger took it as a slap in the face and effectively handled the situation.
The one thing that's different about this time is all of the other instances occurred when it was the "old" tiger mentally. I don't know how he'd react this time. It will be interesting to see.
That's the biggest question, that was the old Tiger, I'm sure he'll still have that fire to whoop some a$$ on anyone who talks about the state of his game though. I look forward to seeing how it will play out!

That's the biggest question, that was the old Tiger, I'm sure he'll still have that fire to whoop some a$$ on anyone who talks about the state of his game though. I look forward to seeing how it will play out!

Here is the million dollar question then. Every single person out there has been critical of his game for the last month. Why have we not seen a change?

Very true JB, I see this slightly different though because he can point a finger directly at Rory and then take him on 1 on 1 to show him exactly what he's capable of. He did the same thing with Ames, everyone else was talking about his game then too but it was Ames who made the mistake knowing he would have to stand across that tee from him in a match 1 on 1. Who knows, it could be that little bit of fire in his belly to get him back playing well. Having someone to knock back down to size just might be it.

Very true JB, I see this slightly different though because he can point a finger directly at Rory and then take him on 1 on 1 to show him exactly what he's capable of. He did the same thing with Ames, everyone else was talking about his game then too but it was Ames who made the mistake knowing he would have to stand across that tee from him in a match 1 on 1. Who knows, it could be that little bit of fire in his belly to get him back playing well. Having someone to knock back down to size just might be it.

I guess I see it differently. I see it as if you cant get it together when you are about to lose your #1 ranking, then how is he going to get it together for 1 match in the Ryder Cup. I hope he does, and actually think he will, but I do not believe it will have anything to do with Rory.

Hopefully Pavin takes him on the team and we can find out. I know if I was the captain of the Euro team I would be saying, "fellas, let's not piss off Tiger ok?"!!!

I'm guessing he may have had more drive and confidence in his game when he played Ames. Practiced harder etc....he said last week in his presser that he doesn't practice like he used to.

I saw the video of the conversation with Rory. He wasn't criticizing, he was calm and answered honestly. I think it's great for a talented player to say he would like his chances against a guy who is struggling. Sure, it is possible he woke up a sleeping giant. I'm sure Monty in his heart of hearts wants Tiger on the team. So they can beat him. I think its funny when the media wants the player to say, you know I'm going in this trying to lose or I'm afraid of playing Tiger Woods, shh don't have bulletin board material. Everyone who is a competitor wants to win and beat anyone they play against. Hopefully, this will bring some fire and passion for Tiger to work hard to win. It shouldn't take this to motivate him but everyone has their motivating factors.

I think its about time someone isn't afraid of playing Tiger. It makes the competitive balance more interesting. Like we saw with the PGA even in light of the outcome, we are seeing a changing of the guard when there are lot of good players who can win any event at any time. Instead, of one guy who is being chased by everyone else.

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/golf-videos/called-out-6786/?ref=26000

wonder if they will me "afraid" of him if he wins a couple FedEx Cup events....I'm thinking of going next Saturday

great thread...
it's my second post so i'll behave. but here are some of my points...
tiger:
still No1 in the world
second greatest player of all time (if going off majors)
he maybe down, everyone has slammed him for one thing or another. but come the RC when Pavin does pick him (Rory has just boosted that chance) its game on.
id match him with steve stricker... then id be off to lay some $$$ on him.
as for rory & what he said. very honest, young & this guy has the game... will be next No1 with Dustan... thats because the current number 2 doesnt have the game (well he does but wont hold the ranking for very long if he ever gets there:banghead:)
rory & tiger head-to-head. could be the match of the RC...

great thread...
it's my second post so i'll behave. but here are some of my points...
tiger:
still No1 in the world
second greatest player of all time (if going off majors)
he maybe down, everyone has slammed him for one thing or another. but come the RC when Pavin does pick him (Rory has just boosted that chance) its game on.
id match him with steve stricker... then id be off to lay some $$$ on him.
as for rory & what he said. very honest, young & this guy has the game... will be next No1 with Dustan... thats because the current number 2 doesnt have the game (well he does but wont hold the ranking for very long if he ever gets there:banghead:)
rory & tiger head-to-head. could be the match of the RC...

wow way to catch up!! Welcome to THP.
Rory has shown some serious game this year. I can't wait to see the Ryder Cup. After going to Valahalla for the entire week back in 2008, I don't think I will ever view this event the same. It was so much better than any other sporting event I have ever been too.

Surely Pavin will pick him? If I were US Captain I would and play him just in the fourballs.

I don't think the foursomes would be a good idea right now.

Back