The Pancake and Waffles thread

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
There were some posts in the banter thread today about pancakes and I thought I would start a thread on the whole thing. We have one from many years ago but instead of reviving an old thread, I thought a new one would suffice.

My wife thinks it's odd that I put peanut butter and syrup on my pancakes and waffles. I don't always do it, in fact when eating out I usually just eat them the way they normally serve them (with butter and syrup). She thinks it's a redneck thing but it was great when we were in California last month that we met a friend of hers who also puts peanut butter and syrup on both. (This from the same person who surprised me by adding the toast to the beanie weenies!)

I had never really thought about it, but when she looked at me weird when I did it the first time, I figured maybe it was a family thing (my brother and sister also do it, as did my parents), so I asked the waitress once at IHOP if anyone ever asked for peanut butter. She said it happens quite often, and they keep peanut butter for those occasions. Of course that was here in Kansas City.

Some people put blueberries, strawberries, bananas, etc. on top but I don't usually do that. So what do you put on your waffles and pancakes? Is peanut butter and syrup a redneck/Midwest thing or is this pretty common? (Not that it's going to make me stop doing it, I'm just curious!)

I'm with you Smalls...I don't care for maple syrup, so peanut butter is my go to at home for waffles or pancakes. If I'm at a IHOP or Cracker Barrel, I'll do a fruit topping of some sort.

No peanut butter for me. While it's interesting, I don't find it weird. I'm also way more of a waffle fan than a pancake fan. As for toppings...I'm not opposed to all the crazy ways they make Belgian waffles I'll say that.

pb and syrup makes the waffle taste like a Reese's Cup. it's awesome.

I like pancakes ok, but they're so dense I usually need to take a nap after I eat.

I do love some waffles though. my favorite topping is probably banana slices, some pecan bits, a drizzle of caramel, a dusting of powdered sugar and cinnamon, and some whipped cream on top. served warm you cut a couple pads of butter to melt, lay on the maple syrup and go to town. a side of bacon and hash browns to balance the sweet with some salty. oh yeah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't done peanut butter myself, but my kids have, and have done nutella though, which is bomb. Usually if I get the chance, I make a brown sugar syrup instead of maple syrup, and sometimes use cane syrup instead of maple which is also excellent. But I also have been known to make pancakes, with syrup, plop some american cheese on it and an over easy egg and plop another pancake on top and go to town on that bad boy.

Or one of my favorites, throw some cooked bacon slices in the waffle maker with the waffle. MMMMMMM

If I'm at an Ihop or the like, usually just pancakes and their old fashioned syrup with butter.

Damnit now I'm craving pancakes, waffles and eggs.

I have to go with sugar free maple syrup. Damn diabetes.

My best friend also uses peanut butter and syrup.

I'm an oddball though.. I usually don't put syrup on mine. I prefer them with just butter.

Never tried PB on my waffles or flapjacks. But I'm not above it. I love the two items we are talking about. But they are not good for me. Me and white flour don't mix

Never tried PB on my waffles or flapjacks. But I'm not above it. I love the two items we are talking about. But they are not good for me. Me and white flour don't mix

sounds like you need some protein pancakes.

I have never tried PB on mine. I like butter and old fashioned syrup. If at home it's usually log cabin lite syrup.

I'm just a basic butter and syrup guy, but one of the kids likes using Nutella or peanut butter.

We have a great old family recipe for homemade waffles I'll post in here a bit later when I have the time.

Much better than white flour:

BuckwheatFlour.jpg

Pretty much a staple through late fall and winter where I was raised. Most folks make it as a yeast based cake. They will get the starter going and then hold some batter back and keep it going for the season. They have a bit of sour taste to them and a rougher texture but they are an excellent vehicle for pretty much anything: butter + syrup, sausage gravy, apple butter, homemade jam...

Much better than white flour:

BuckwheatFlour.jpg

Pretty much a staple through late fall and winter where I was raised. Most folks make it as a yeast based cake. They will get the starter going and then hold some batter back and keep it going for the season. They have a bit of sour taste to them and a rougher texture but they are an excellent vehicle for pretty much anything: butter + syrup, sausage gravy, apple butter, homemade jam...

I need to try that. Processed white flour is such a bad thing for me. And we eat wheat everything else. Thanks for the tip

My pancakes are eaten with no butter and very little syrup.
So little syrup in fact that no syrup is left on the plate when the pancakes are finished.

Peanut butter and sugar. I picked the taste up from my gramma when I was a kid. So good...

I'm more of a waffle than park ales guy. And I'll top it with butter and syrup. Maybe some fresh berries if available

I like butter and syrup. If I don't have any protein on the plate, I'll add PB. The first time I saw PB on a pancake was at an ex-gf's house, in small town Missouri.

Peanut Butter on pancakes AND waffles with Maple syrup, works every time!

Also, I like to go.....

Over easy egg, PB on pancake...three stacked on three all covered in syrup. (Egg, pancake, Egg, pancake, Egg, pancake)

With bacon on the side....YES PLEASE!

You all who don't know...are missing out!

We love doing our own syrups, strawberry, blueberry, almost any kind of berry really! So good.

This is our family recipe. I think it's from either my Dad's Mom or his grandmother. Makes a great waffle. Probably not the healthiest thing in the world though.

· Mix these together first:
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]2 cups of flour
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]2 tablespoons of sugar
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]4 teaspoons of baking POWDER (do not use baking soda, doesn’t come out right)
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]½ teaspoon of salt
· Then add this:
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]2 egg yolks (separate the yolks from the whites, put the whites in a different bowl, you’ll need them later)
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]6 tablespoons melted butter or margarine (whatever you have in the fridge works, doesn’t need to be the stick kind)
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]1 ½ cups of milk
· Stir well (it might seem too thick, but it will get better)
· Use a hand mixer and beat the egg whites until they are nice and fluffy
[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Fold in / stir in the beaten egg whites
· Depending on the size you make and size of the waffle iron, it should make at least 6 or 7
· If you don’t need that much, you can cut everything in half and get 3 or 4 out of a half batch.

I love both pancakes and waffles, I've definitely put PB on them though not usually. This thread isn't helping my diet! :drool:

I like the idea of pancakes, but when I order them, I get through the first one and I am miserable... so dang dense.

Waffles, on the other hand, are a different story! I prefer mine with blueberries, pecans, or chocolate chips. Then, lightly covered in syrup, with no butter.

Also, peanut butter makes everything better. I'm sure it is crazy good on waffles.

The only pancakes I eat right now are protein pancakes. I love pancakes, but don't fit into the diet unfortunately.

The only pancakes I eat right now are protein pancakes. I love pancakes, but don't fit into the diet unfortunately.

I found and tried to make a oatmeal/banana pancakes that were supposed to be not so bad for someone on a diet. They turned out ok, but where lacking in that fluffy texture and taste you wanted in your mind.

I found and tried to make a oatmeal/banana pancakes that were supposed to be not so bad for someone on a diet. They turned out ok, but where lacking in that fluffy texture and taste you wanted in your mind.

I have done a few protein pancakes that have actually been pretty tasty paired with some sugar free syrup.

Back