2016 Fitness and Workout Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, definitely agreed regarding the program choice and progression. He'll put on a solid 30lbs of muscle in a year if my history tracks his. :) (or more... I tried to do it vegetarian style)

Capt'n is running the Starting Strength novice program. He has been adding 10lbs to his squat work sets. 3 sets of 5 reps. Not just 10 lbs on his final work set. Always to 5. Never more and hopefully never less. The 5+ is part of Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program which is not overly efficient for a novice lifter.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yeah, definitely agreed regarding the program choice and progression. He'll put on a solid 30lbs of muscle in a year if my history tracks his. :) (or more... I tried to do it vegetarian style)

Definitely a solid and obtainable goal. Lean and mean

Squats, bench, and deads today. Here's a video of the squat for a form check; I'm sure I can clean up some things, and I was a little high on one of the reps, but I welcome any comments.

Next came bench, and the tip Blu gave me about making sure to pull my scapula down really did the trick and there was no pain in my left trap.

Finally, deads; I failed after 2 reps, but got it on video for any comments. I plan to try this again next week.

Squats, bench, and deads today. Here's a video of the squat for a form check; I'm sure I can clean up some things, and I was a little high on one of the reps, but I welcome any comments.

Next came bench, and the tip Blu gave me about making sure to pull my scapula down really did the trick and there was no pain in my left trap.

Finally, deads; I failed after 2 reps, but got it on video for any comments. I plan to try this again next week.

I'm proud of you brother. Tough getting to the iron when there's a new baby.

Squats, maybe the 3rd rep was high***, but other than that they look good. Widen your stance a little. Your feet looked narrow. Watch your hands. It looks like your wrists were on the bar. Make sure the meat of your palm is on the bar with your thumbs over.

Deads, narrow your stance a hair and flare your toes a little more. Watch your gaze. You threw your head up on the last one specifically. putting your cervical spine into flexion is not a good feeling.

***important edit: depth was good on every rep.

Dang I start seeing all these big numbers being thrown up, I better get on it. As for form I'm not the guy to ask, but it's good seeing the work you're putting in. Quick question though, do you wear your belt through all your lifts? I read somewhere that it's not good as it makes your muscles dependent on the support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang I start seeing all these big numbers being thrown up, I better get on it. As for form I'm not the guy to ask, but it's good seeing the work you're putting in. Quick question though, do you wear your belt through all your lifts? I read somewhere that it's not good as it makes your muscles dependent on the support.

It's a common misconception about lifting belts. A belt that is a consistent diameter all the way around won't "support" anything. All that it does is give something for you to push against. I only where mine on my last warm up and all of my work sets, for the core lifts (squat, bench, deadlift, press)

It's a common misconception about lifting belts. A belt that is a consistent diameter all the way around won't "support" anything. All that it does is give something for you to push against. I only where mine on my last warm up and all of my work sets, for the core lifts (squat, bench, deadlift, press)

Cool! I honestly didn't know, that's why I asked.I was looking at belts on Amazon awhile ago and just never pulled the trigger.

Cool! I honestly didn't know, that's why I asked.I was looking at belts on Amazon awhile ago and just never pulled the trigger.

For Crossfit type WODs they can be a pain.

Also, I hope I came across ok. No problems asking questions.

weight-lifting-belt-comparison.png

2016 Fitness and Workout Thread

No, I thought you were just answering the question, and I think tomorrow is my last Crossfit class. Then it's back to picking heavy things up and putting them down, lol.

Like Blu, I only wear it for the last warmup and the work sets, same with wrist straps. I agree that I don't want to get too dependent on gear to do my lifts, but they do help me do the work sets more efficiently and safely.

Adding on to Blu's comments with some critique.

Try to keep your speed even (controlled) on the way down. Let's say you were to count to 5 on the downward movement. I'd really like to see 1--2--3--4--5. What's happening now is 1--2--3-45. This can overstress your connective tissue something fierce as you increase weight.

IMHO you should take 10% off and reset with the strictest form. What has me worried is not so much your back but your little nudge at the end of the rep where your upper body is almost vertical and your knees are still bent with the weight not fully set.

I would challenge you to do a set of 10 good mornings / Romanian deadlifts (your choice) with 135lbs, keeping your back straight, shoulders down and back, and a crisp finish opening the hips.

:)

For Cross-fit WODs I wear a belt that is about a half inch narrower through the front than the back, largely because I go ass to grass on squats and cleans...and while they've gotten outright stupid on some workouts (Grace, 30 C&J for time is now RX @ 185#, for example, which is just stupid!) they haven't pushed dead lift weights for time/rep workouts to where I particularly need a belt.

What sort of buckle does your belt have? I used one with a metal buckle once and had a bruise from the buckle doing one a WOD.
For Cross-fit WODs I wear a belt that is about a half inch narrower through the front than the back, largely because I go ass to grass on squats and cleans...and while they've gotten outright stupid on some workouts (Grace, 30 C&J for time is now RX @ 185#, for example, which is just stupid!) they haven't pushed dead lift weights for time/rep workouts to where I particularly need a belt.

Gat damn, bro, that is some monster truck weight.

Also, you look like a beast compared to 2014 when I saw you at the Morgan Cup. Keep it up, bro.

I am not a fan of seeing snatches get dropped on the head/neck/back. That's no bueno. But some of that stuff is funny.

I am not a fan of seeing snatches get dropped on the head/neck/back. That's no bueno. But some of that stuff is funny.
Honestly me neither it's scary and I should of known before clicking but whatever. Some made me laugh, some made me cringe.

I really like the idiot in the beginning who smashes his mirror. Gets me every time.

Nevermind. This is my favorite, just because of the camera work. I like it so much, I .gif'ed it.

ER8J2l.gif

So I kind of told a friend that I'd help him train for a half marathon on May 1, which means I'm going to start running again, and got on the treadmill for the first time in a long time. Was able to run 1.5 miles without stopping (3 miles total) which I'm pretty happy with having not run in awhile, but man I could feel it in my quads after squats and deads yesterday. I know steady state running isn't as good as HIIT, but I am actually kind of excited to work towards a half marathon as it's one of my fat guy bucket list accomplishments.

I love that they didn't pan down.

So GG will know what I'm talking about since we both belong to the same club, orange theory. I've been going pretty steady for the past month and am showing improvements. Each day I go it's something new. Today was an ass kicking contest. 5 minutes at each station. After two sub 2 minutes 500 m rows and 18 min on the treadmill at a 12* incline I had to do iso squats. Omg my legs are like lead right now. But I feel frigg'n great. Still a hitch in my giddy up but I can feel the exercise doing some much needed good. Good luck on the half marathon Neb!

So I kind of told a friend that I'd help him train for a half marathon on May 1, which means I'm going to start running again, and got on the treadmill for the first time in a long time. Was able to run 1.5 miles without stopping (3 miles total) which I'm pretty happy with having not run in awhile, but man I could feel it in my quads after squats and deads yesterday. I know steady state running isn't as good as HIIT, but I am actually kind of excited to work towards a half marathon as it's one of my fat guy bucket list accomplishments.

This is awesome dude. You still losing pretty steadily buddy?

I really like the idiot in the beginning who smashes his mirror. Gets me every time.
That's pretty funny. That guy rowing tho lol just cracks me up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back