Regional Rivalry question

BIGBALL

Reaction score
Handicap
O.k. It's down to the last hole in the last match. It's a dead tie. 2 scenarios.

Scenario #1. Each side has a 4' putt for par to halve the match. You are a good putter, and your opponent is a bit shaky. Do you do ask if they are o.k with "good good" and end it in a tie? Do you putt out because you are confident you will make and he will miss?

Scenario #2 You have a tap in for par. Your opponent, the shaky putter, has a 4' for par. Do you tap in and tell him to pick up? Do you make him putt?

For me, as competitive as I am, I just hate to see someone be the goat here. Isn't like there is millions of dollars on the line. I am o.k with a good good in both situations. For me, as much as RR is about competition, it is more about the spirit of friendship and fun. Hate to see the guy I went wire to wire with feel like he was responsible for the whole match because he missed a short putt. This said, if I am the shaky putter and you make me putt, I totally understand and won't be butthurt that you made me putt. Life is too short for crap like that!

If it's Michiganslice he's putting

I kid I kid

Just depends on how the day is going and if the point will matter or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I kid I kid

It matters. It's a dead tie. No cop outs.

Putt out in both situations. We're out there to have fun, but that half might be the deciding factor to bring home the cup to the DMV. I would feel bad about it, but that's the game.

I kid I kid

I dunno... he told me in Ocean City that he was the greatest putter in the world!

I dunno... he told me in Ocean City that he was the greatest putter in the world!

make them putt. every single time.

4' is not a gimmie, I wouldnt expect anyone to give me a 4' putt.

Putting them out in both scenarios as will my opponent

Man it's a tough call in both scenarios. Sportsmanship is definitely a part of the event, but at the same time there are winners and losers.

I know as I was in that position and I missed that put, which could have extended the match. Had my opponent told me to pick it up it would have not been the same.

This case I want to putt it out.

make them putt. every single time.
Absolutely make them putt. If you don't like competition, don't sign up. That's half the point. (but do it nicely...that's the other half)

Putt out in both situations. We're out there to have fun, but that half might be the deciding factor to bring home the cup to the DMV. I would feel bad about it, but that's the game.

it's the last hole in a dead tie - so it is absolutely the deciding factor. A half the whole event ends in a tie.

Make them putt in both situations. After all it is a competition.

Match on the line, putt it out.

Let's put it this way, with a tie match in a team competition I would fully expect my opponent to make me putt the 4 footers in both scenarios.

Geographic fact: All putts south of the Dismal Swamp tend to break AWAY from the hole. Especially when putted by Carolinians. :D

#1 & #2 ... putt them both out.

It's no different if these scenarios were on the previous holes rather than the 18th.

I'm only conceding "inside the leather" ... any 4 footer should be putted and I would hope my competitor would ask the same of me, whether I'm a shaky putter or not.

Mods - can you move this to the golf talk sub forum? Posted it here by accident.

No Participation trophies here, make the putt.

I'd consider giving the putt. Heat of the moment I might not give it, but I'd consider.

A four foot putt seems a bit long to be giving at any time in the match ... I think the scenario becomes a bit more interesting to consider when the putts are both within 36 inches.

For example, do things change if the putts are both within a foot of the hole? I'd have to confer with my captain, but I'd feel jerkish forcing my opponent to make a 12" putt, especially if I gave those on the prior 35 holes.

Got to also imagine that there will be some sort of tie-breaker scenario ... like the captains play a sudden death playoff format.

I'd have to make them hit a 4 footer. Cut that in half and you have totally different story!!

Yeah I'm not into getting that 'thanks for participating ribbon', we have scorecards for a reason. The competition is already a friendly fun event so putt them out and go laugh over a beer(s)

Definitely putt it out, I would want the win for team DMV. It's a friendly competition for sure, but I don't sign up to end in a tie.

Back