Poll: Have you seen measurable success with Indoor putting

Poll: Have you seen measurable success with Indoor putting

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
I know a great deal of my golf brother have to use indoor putting during the winter months. I am wondering who has seen measurable results from season to season. And who just does it to stay close to golf.

A couple seasons ago I was coming off my worst putting season and dedicated myself to indoor practice over the winter and my putting rebounded significantly, last year and this winter I've been working on it mire for repetition than stroke though.

I look at this the same way I look at any practice really. If it's just doing he same thing over and over and expecting different results (like pounding balls on the range) then success will be limited. If working on technique then i don't think it matters if it's indoor or outdoors.

I picked the last option because I don't have measurable results. I feel that it is good to work on ball position, stroke technique and just getting comfortable with your putter(s). I also enjoy trying new grips and the indoor practice green is a good place for that also.

I think it is a case of practicing sound fundamentals. The more I do that the better I putt on a regular basis.

My indoor practice pitting has been focused on the stroke and setup. After last winter I saw a more consistent stroke. I used this to work on speed/distance control once the weather warmed up.

I have seen no improvement, but I think it is what JB was saying. I'm not getting instruction, so therefore I am just doing my same thing over and over again. If it doesn't work on the course, practicing inside isn't going to help.

I picked up a couple of drills from a putter fitting I had this year, so I am trying to work on those to see if it will help my game.

I putt almost every day sometimes 10 balls while the car warms up and sometimes after dinner or something and it could be 100. For the most part Stance, posture, alignment and center face practice for me. Pretty hard to do lags in the garage. :act-up: I started doing this a couple of years ago and it has helped.

I see improvement from putting indoors. It's mainly in the form of alignment and consistent stroke. When I feel like I'm struggling or when the weather is cold, I putt indoors and work on making the same stroke every time. Sometimes my takeaway gets sloppy or rushed and this helps bring it back around.

I've seen some improvement. My putting mat upstairs isnt that big, so it has me focusing on 6-9 footers. For me it helps with making sure i'm set up properly, get my routine down & pay attention to my path. I can tell pretty quick when i'm closing the face at impact (my main issue) & can correct it.

I find indoor practice causes issues when I try to take it outdoor. The lack of break and different speed just doesn't translate for me. I now only use indoor practice to work on something specific with a plane board or mirror.

This is how I look at it... butting at home is great for alignment purposes, maintaining a smooth tempo, and maybe even practicing speed. The problem is you cant simulate the breaks or slopes of true real-green putts. So, that being said, I do it once in a while just because I have the itch to do something golf related... but I don't think it will have a serious impact on your putting performance.

yes I've sen improvement from indoor putting. Quite a number of years ago I use to have an indoor putting run and cup thingy and at the time (the year I used it) I used it a lot and my putting did improve a lot. So absolutely putting indoors works to improve or keep sharp imo..

My birdieball green helped me work on my stroke and with my main miss being a push, I think really working on the stroke over and over again is better than not working on it at all. I don't believe in mindlessly putting over and over.

I have witnessed six4three5's putting increase steadily over the past year, he has a very realistic putting surface in his man cave. I am guessing 2 or 3 strokes per round gained especial from the 7 to 8 foot range.

It only helps if I'm working on 1 specific aspect of putting diligently. Otherwise it's just a way to enjoy the game and stay close to Golf.

I find repetitiveness of technique over the winter indoors has helped me a lot. I have improved my putting year after year and I think it's safe to say doing some putting work indoors has helped that.

Putting indoors with the assistance of the Swingbyte helped me fix my slice putting stroke this year. Outside of that I think the repetitive swinging, as long as you have a good stroke, is helpful to keep it engrained in your system over the layoff.

The only thing I do is cut the flaps off a sleeve of balls and then try to putt balls into the sleeve from distances of 3' to 8'. Level surface & carpet.

I find two things about this drill. First, you really know if you can putt the ball down the line you are picking. Second, the hole looks huge in comparison to the size of a sleeve (fractionally larger than the ball itself).

I have definitely seen an improvement. I committed to getting better so I basically carpeted half the basement and added a few training aids. I built a version of Pelz's truth board with a hole size reducer and I use a Eyeline mirror to check ball position etc. I put marks on the floor at 3', 5', 10', & 15' and play games like make 5 in a row from each distance.

bludz.jpg
[/IMG]
2eoxhm8.jpg
[/IMG]

Indoor putting, slightly.
Indoor chipping, significant.

I only really put indoors when I am doing one of two specific drills. One is to focus on keeping my head and lower body quiet while making a stroke. (this used to be a huge issue for me and was pointed out to my by a pro who gave me a drill that has really helped.)

The other thing I like to do indoor is roll puts down a 4 foot long stainless steel ruler, you basically have to start the ball online or it does not make it to the end. Most of my putting practice indoor and outdoor is with the idea of starting the ball on my intended line.

All that being said, I started doing these drills indoors in conjunction with switching to a SeeMore. I have become a much more consistent putter since then. I have no idea which one of the variables is responsible. My guess would be that it is due to the fact that I made practice a priority and was given some really good instruction from a PGA professional.

Smoothed my stroke out considerably this off-season with the immediate feedback I get from my SkyPro...that can only lead to better putting when winter greens start rolling more true.

I also do a lot of indoor chipping, as well...takes some b*lls to open a lob wedge and hit baby flops down a narrow carpeted hallway.

I seem to putt better at the beginning of the year. I guess it's cuz I practice it all winter and when the weather changes I stop. I start to focus on full swing shots. I need to get into the habit of still practicing my putting during the golf season. For the most part, I feel I'm a good putter.

yes and no. I have a great putting green in the basement but I just seem to groove puts on it. I can hit the hole with my eyes closed. It's better than nothing.

Back