The Car Shopping Thread

I guarantee its been beat to hell too.

That's the problem with buying relatively cheap sports cars.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ok, sorry. But it's in Florida vs one in Ohio. Heck if my car was in Fl, they would ask more for it than we are.

At the same time, let me ask you this.

You bought the car new 2 years ago for $38,000 drove it 21 months. And put just barely over a 1000 miles a month on it. What would you expect to get on trade? $20,000? You would be insulted if I came back with that trade value.

Well a couple of things. You didnt offer 26k in trade, otherwise it wouldnt be selling for 27k. We both know that.
But I stand by my thought that a car like that with over 2k a month in miles selling for 27k is overpriced. Im glad you think it doesnt.

I guarantee its been beat to hell too.

That's the problem with buying relatively cheap sports cars.

Actually it was owned by an engineer who is really anal. It has not been beat. But for the car it is, I would assume it was too. But I know the previous owner pretty well. If I didn't know him, I would think it was beat as well.

That's what I was thinking. That thing has been driven to death. It could be a super early 15 I guess.

I learned very valuable lessons when I had my WRX that made me leave that scene and never want another again

Edit: it is an early 15
Like the fact it's almost certain to need a motor replacement by 60k?

I think it's a lot of miles for that car. I have a 2006 Truck with 310k on it. But it's a work vehicle. I don't see that car as something someone would use for work. So in my mind it's a vehicle that was used for commuting and joy riding.

I think it's a lot of miles for that car. I have a 2006 Truck with 310k on it. But it's a work vehicle. I don't see that car as something someone would use for work. So in my mind it's a vehicle that was used for commuting and joy riding.
Find a used Lancer Evo if you want something like this. Much better vehicle.

Not trying to hate on bullfrog here just being honest.

The forged 4g63 in the Evo is probably the best for cylinder ever made especially pushing high boost.

Availability plays a huge factor in the going prices of cars, new and used. Dodge dealers were getting 20+K over sticker price on Hellcats because of the limited availability. Same with Chevy and the 2014 Camaro Z28's. I was actually in the dealership one day getting my car serviced and I basically saw a bid war happen between two guys over a Camaro Z28. They both just kept saying they'd pay more than the other guy and the look on the salesman face was like "wtf is going on right now", and he had to go get his manager. I don't know how that ended up, but I wouldn't be shocked if the dealer sold it for 10+K over sticker price.

Well a couple of things. You didnt offer 26k in trade, otherwise it wouldnt be selling for 27k. We both know that.
But I stand by my thought that a car like that with over 2k a month in miles selling for 27k is overpriced. Im glad you think it doesnt.

it's 21 months old, how is that over 2k a month. Your right we didn't give him 26K trade in. If you think it should be a cheaper price, What should it be priced at? If your thinking $22,995 or $23,995 then because of the mileage? His trade value would have been closer to $20,000 then, using your reasoning. Again, let me ask you, If I offered you almost half of what you originally paid for your vehicle. And you drove it a little over a 1000 miles a month, would you be insulted?

Availability plays a huge factor in the going prices of cars, new and used. Dodge dealers were getting 20+K over sticker price on Hellcats because of the limited availability. Same with Chevy and the 2014 Camaro Z28's. I was actually in the dealership one day getting my car serviced and I basically saw a bid war happen between two guys over a Camaro Z28. They both just kept saying they'd pay more than the other guy and the look on the salesman face was like "wtf is going on right now", and he had to go get his manager. I don't know how that ended up, but I wouldn't be shocked if the dealer sold it for 10+K over sticker price.
Yep there was a huge ordeal here when the ford GT was re released and the dealer her was refusing to sell it for anything less than like 80k over map.

I should look for the article they got a ton of bad press over the deal.

Evo's and WRX's are a huge niche market. And those within that niche will pay whatever they can to find one that hasn't been beaten to death or modded at all. Someone will pay for it. I don't think it's worth that, but someone out there will pay for it.

It's usually the STI's they're looking for though.

I get that is your situation, but there are a lot of people who use cars for work and I don't only mean commuting.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Find a used Lancer Evo if you want something like this. Much better vehicle.

Not trying to hate on bullfrog here just being honest.

The forged 4g63 in the Evo is probably the best for cylinder ever made especially pushing high boost.

The EVO X isn't a 4G63. You'd have to go back to the EVO IX for a 4G63.

it's 21 months old, how is that over 2k a month. Your right we didn't give him 26K trade in. If you think it should be a cheaper price, What should it be priced at? If your thinking $22,995 or $23,995 then because of the mileage? His trade value would have been closer to $20,000 then, using your reasoning. Again, let me ask you, If I offered you almost half of what you originally paid for your vehicle. And you drove it a little over a 1000 miles a month, would you be insulted?
I wouldn't be because I full well expect it. It's why I'll avoid trading in at all costs. Dealerships want to buy mine for below book but sell theirs at high book. It doesn't work both ways for me. You give me low book, I buy at low book. I'll pay high book if you give me high book.

Car sales is the biggest shenanigan I've ever dealt with. It goes both ways too. I feel bad for buyers and salesman but it's the market we've all created at this point.

I'm not in here trying to argue. What I find comical is, we have had the car not even 48 hours yet. And we have already had about 15 calls on it. And someone coming to see it today. But we are over priced. Everyone's perception of a good deal is different.

As a guy who stuggled to find and then overpayed for a 2003 Mustang Cobra, I am all too familiar with the niche/fanboy vehicle market. I bought it, modded it, melted tires off it for 2 years and then sold it for MORE than I paid for it. It was comical.

When it comes to the fanboy cars (basically any car that has dozens of forums dedicated to it alone) the rules of reason, logic, and value go up in smoke.

Like the fact it's almost certain to need a motor replacement by 60k?

At least a turbo around 100k is a guarantee. But when that blows, you pray it doesn't take anything else out.

That then leads to a $5k turbo upgrade and overhaul. However, the block can't handle the extra power over an extended period of time and now engine replacement is for sure in the picture. Now, the kids spend as little as they can on an engine and do the same upgrades that just destroyed their last engine. 10k miles later they are replacing the engine again and selling it off as a 120k mile car BUT it has a new* engine and transmission!

* it's really just an engine from a wrecked 80k mile car that was abused.

It was a cycle I watched over and over and over. It was funny to watch people want "cheap" power and then cry when it didn't work out for them.

Ok, sorry. But it's in Florida vs one in Ohio. Heck if my car was in Fl, they would ask more for it than we are.

At the same time, let me ask you this.

You bought the car new 2 years ago for $38,000 drove it 21 months. And put just barely over a 1000 miles a month on it. What would you expect to get on trade? $20,000? You would be insulted if I came back with that trade value.

I think this sums it up. You said I would be insulted yet it's pretty close to what you offered in trade.

It's the problem with he industry as a whole and how pricing is done. But a car less than 40k new, that was driven hard for 24000 miles in less than 2 years to me is not worth 28k.

I'm glad you are selling it and think it's worth that much.

It does make you realize why people dislike bi ticket purchases though. Im not trying to bag on bullfrog, it is what it is.

We just took this in on trade. Who wants it? 2006 Hummer H3 4x4 with leather and sunroof. Loaded! Only 60,000 miles. With KC Light bar. It sure is bad! And mint!

25280900a9bb0317d561afa9f4612596.jpg
I can not let my daughter see this...

I think this sums it up. You said I would be insulted yet it's pretty close to what you offered in trade.

It's the problem with he industry as a whole and how pricing is done. But a car less than 40k new, that was driven hard for 24000 miles in less than 2 years to me is not worth 28k.

It does make you realize why people dislike bi ticket purchases though. Im not trying to bag on bullfrog, it is what it is.

I don't dictate what it's worth. Many factors come in to play. What a bank will loan on it, whether or not it's beat and needs repairs, what equipment is on it and the mileage. What they are selling for in our area with similar miles and equipment. We take all that in consideration then look a book that is sent to us by National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA). Then put a value on it. No one ever pays what we ask for a vehicle. So we figure out how much we should make per car then adjust accordingly knowing someone will make an offer. It's the nature of the business. I wish I could make an offer on a gallon of milk. I don't think it's worth $4.

I personally think people are too worried about mileage these days. With proper maintenance a lot of cars will run forever with very little problems. Either way though, one has to be completely comfortable when buying a car, otherwise they should just walk away until they find a car they are comfortable with.

So you see where I'm coming from? You don't think a product is worth something that is costs.
I have the same opinion here....

And something tells me of you have used milk, it devalues it a bit.

The entire "nobody pays what we are asking" is part of the problem so ridiculous mark up on high priced used goods exist.

No it's not what we offered on trade. We offered more than $20,000 cuz it's worth more. And it wasn't close to that number either. It was that number plus more than a 1/4th of that number. If you think there is $7000 mark up in used cars, I would ask what you had been drinking. I wish there were. I sold 180 cars total myself last year with 80 of them being used. I would have made a ton. And would be able to pay my way in to all of the THP events I wanted (as long as I made the event). LOL Where did "it's been driven hard" come from? It hasn't been driven hard. A 63 year old engineer was the owner.

Don't worry JB, I know this is just chatting back and forth. There are points to both sides.

So you see where I'm coming from? You don't think a product is worth something that is costs.
I have the same opinion here....

And something tells me of you have used milk, it devalues it a bit.

The entire "nobody pays what we are asking" is part of the problem so ridiculous mark up on high priced used goods exist.

Our dealership likes to work off of $3,000 mark up after reconditioning costs. Someone comes in makes a low ball offer, we meet in the middle and are happy to take $1500 deals. It's the nature of the business. Sometimes we make more and sometimes less.

Your right, you wouldn't want my used milk... I'm lactose tolerant. Up to about 4 years ago, milk didn't affect me. Now it does. (heck it started at the outing, I'm sure you remember me missing a day.)

Something else to consider is that just because car has low miles, it doesn't mean that it was taken care of properly, nor does it mean it wasn't driven hard.

Back