Chipping - One Club?????

RNG

Reaction score
Handicap
Do you always chip with the same club or do you change based on the shot at hand?

For me, I mostly change with the shot but would admit I find a reason to use a lofted wedge of some kind more often than not!!

I typically go with either a LW, SW or 9 iron depending on the shot called for.

When I took chipping lessons, I was told that depending on how far you are off the green, will dictate what club is needed and if it's a 1/4 swing or putting stroke. So for me, I would use either PW, 8i or 60° wedge.

I've got a couple of standbys I use, PW, or 60*, I also just stuck a 68* wedge in my bag to play with, not sure if it will stay there or not yet. I like the lofted wedges vs the "bump and runs" it's just a more comfortable shot for me. Plus it looks cooler.

It's always different for me. Yesterday I used a gap wedge, a lob wedge, and my 4 wood on my 3 chips.

I mostly use a 60* wedge to chip. i can hit most shots with it low to high. i am not sure if thats the easiest way to chip? probably one chipping swing and just change clubs for distance might be the most efficient.

There are a lot of factors, including lie, amount of green to work with, what's in front of you (over a trap), speed of the greens, etc. But for the most part, I do favor my 50* wedge for most of my chips & pitches. I just adjust the face angle, hands forward or not ... how far to carry it or how much spin I need to put on it.
I would say 50* for 80% of the time then the 56*

I usually use a 54 or 58 degree wedge, but I'll use a 7, 8 or 9 or PW depending on the situation from time to time.

90% of the time I'll go with the 54. 58 only when I'm really short sided. PW if I need to really let it run out.

60* all the way down to a 7 iron.

Lots of choices to chip with, for me. 62* all the way to a 7 iron, depending on what I need out of the shot.

60* 56* and the rare occasion the hybo

I will use an 8 iron to my 58 all depends on what the lie is like and any obstacles.

i would say 80% of my chips are done with my 56*. Only time its not is if i need to use the 60* for flop shots or bad lies

90% of my short game shots within 50 yards of the green are done with the 54*.

Will use 60* for some sand and flop shots.

I like to get the ball rolling as soon as possible, so I'll use anything from a 7 iron to PW. My wedges I'll use depending upon the type of shot I want to play (a pitch, flop, or blast out of the sand).

Really comes down to what you have confidence in doesn't it?? That's why the lofted wedge seems to my go to club but I do use others all the way down to using a hybrid!

The shot dictates what club I use, I don't stick to just one.

I probably use my 58* 80% of the time but the other 20% of the time will use other clubs as needed. Examples:

1) very long run out I'll use a lower lofted club as it's hard to use a 58* to get that long run out (would have to put the shaft forward a lot to deloft and then a strong strike - would go to a 54/GW/PW/9 as situation dictates)

2) close to edge of green and almost puttable, I'll go to my 4 or 5 (if it's in the bag) hybrid.

95% of my chips are done with my 54*, even my bunker shots

Majority is my PW but I do change it up depending on distance.

8i is my go to with chipping unless the shot calls for a little more loft

I use my 64* for most chips. I have learned how to deliver the face to run low & check quickly.. Loft it with decent spin... Or medium traj with Nipper spin. I love the bounce on this wedge and use it. If not that.. 56* will come into play.. I have never been comfortable with 7i so I guess I went the opposite direction..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually my 60*

Back