Do you carry a current USGA Rules of Golf book when you play?

Do you carry a current USGA Rules of Golf book when you play?

• No. I do not carry a rules book nor do I have the app on my phone.

Votes: 64 57.1%
  • Yes, I carry a book in my bag.

Votes: 17 15.2%
  • Not a book, but I have the app on my phone

Votes: 23 20.5%
  • I carry a book and have the app on my phone.

Votes: 8 7.1%

• Total voters
Is there a rule that allows the pin to be left in while putting because the cup filled with water, then froze, making pulling the pin impossible?

Not really, but I've played the flagsticks frozen into the hole and just didn't worry about it. Since we can't return scores for handicap at that time of year anyway, it didn't really matter.

I have a book from 2008 I think. Maybe I should up date it.

I do not, but played with a guy in college that always had it within an arms reach away. What a knucklehead he was!

I do not, but played with a guy in college that always had it within an arms reach away. What a knucklehead he was!

I hope that there is no global implication in that statement. I could say the same about guys I've played with in tournaments who were clueless about the rules. Why would anyone want to play a competition without the slightest idea of how to correctly take relief from a cart path or penalty relief from a water hazard?

Nope don't have the book or the app, but if any questions arise it can always be googled.

No book or app, just confer with my playing partners when there is doubt.

Yes but it's the 2012-2015 version.

no. i don't have any desire to play in any tournament. if my handicap is artificially too low because i'm not exactly following the rules, sucks for me when i get beat down in a straight up usga-rules-enforcing event.

App for me, should use it more often!

I hope that there is no global implication in that statement. I could say the same about guys I've played with in tournaments who were clueless about the rules. Why would anyone want to play a competition without the slightest idea of how to correctly take relief from a cart path or penalty relief from a water hazard?

I should have added a few extra words to my post. The guy I played with had it to purposely watch his competitors every move like a hawk and to ensure every rule was followed to the T.

I used to many years ago, but do not now. Google could provide me with a quick answer if I was in a pinch.

Seems silly to carry one when I'm cheating all the time.

I have the app on my phone, I do have the actual book at home, somewhere.

I should have added a few extra words to my post. The guy I played with had it to purposely watch his competitors every move like a hawk and to ensure every rule was followed to the T.

Gotcha. I'm a rules nut, but I sincerely hope that I'm never that kind of a rules jerk.

I'll never carry it most likely

I have both, but not due to anal retentiveness. I put the new paperback in my bag when it comes in the mail, and I downloaded the app because why not? I play exclusively for fun, but I often have questions that I need answered, or my playing partner has a question. Way better to hand him the book than attempting to answer his question with my dumb brain/mouth combination.

If someone every whips out a rule book during a round I will straight slap it out of their hands.

If someone every whips out a rule book during a round I will straight slap it out of their hands.
Another reason I love golfing with Beags.

Don't have anything. And I don't really care about them 99% of the time.

I keep one in the bag but haven't (yet) pulled it out on the course.

I carry a book in my bag but rarely pull it out.

Not really, but I've played the flagsticks frozen into the hole and just didn't worry about it. Since we can't return scores for handicap at that time of year anyway, it didn't really matter.
That is kind of what I figured. Can't wait for an April 2nd crazy snow storm when the question will have to be answered

That awkward moment you realize that your closest relief puts you behind a tree but you already have the ball in your hand.

Used to carry a copy of the rules, but it was a couple of years old so I took it out and never replaced. Never used to to seriously call a rules infraction but have used it during rules discussions while playing.

Back