Highest Lofted Wedge

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
So I'm going back and forth on my highest lofted wedge from my RTX 2.0 in 58 degrees and the PM Grind in 60 degrees.

I like both. I love the versatility of the PM Grind for specialty shots and it looks like a "pancake" the way it lays flat. I also love the RTX for pure use and the ability to be aggressive around the green.

I should add that I use neither for full swings. So that leads to the questions.

What do you use highest lofted wedge for?
What would you do in my situation?

58. Use it for full shots bunkers chips. Everything really. In your case I would always opt for what provides the most versatility.

My highest lofted wedge is a 60* W grind MD3. I use it mostly for greenside bunker shots but will use it for flops or chip shots with buried lies.

In your situation, I would go with the PM for the versatility. If you aren't using either for full shots I would go with the club that gives you the best chance for success in a number of different scenarios

Mine is 60* Cleveland. Huge fan of the RTX 2.0 I do take full swings, but use it regularly around the green and from bunkers. My home course has a ton of bunkers tight next to the greens so I end up using my highest lofted often - flag stick depending. I think the key word you said was aggressiveness. That's huge as a mindset. Id go Cleveland.... But I'm biased haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 60 rtg Cleveland, the only thing I use it for are greenside bunker shots. If I tried to hit it anywhere else I am quite certain that I would kill someone.

I play a 64 at times but it's pretty specialized. I have a Heavenwood on the way to switch it out.

I'm a big fan of the 60° wedge if people have the game for it. Which I know JB does. I also think the PM grind offers more specialty if you need it.

Also, it could be course dependent for you JB. If you know a certain course will utilize the PM grind better, play that and vice versa

My highest lofted wedge is a 60* W grind MD3. I use it mostly for greenside bunker shots but will use it for flops or chip shots with buried lies.

In your situation, I would go with the PM for the versatility. If you aren't using either for full shots I would go with the club that gives you the best chance for success in a number of different scenarios
My answer as well, but mine us a 58* w

60* used almost exclusively around the green except for bump and runs. I see your next highest lofted wedge is a 54* based on that I'd keep the 58* the bag. You can always lay it wide open when you need to stop a shot with trajectory plus it keep your gaps close.

Last season I had a 58 that I used strictly for sand, flop shots or approaches inside 100 yards where I couldn't bump-n-run.

My highest is a 60* and it's a go to around the greens, especially when it's colder and I'm playing lower spinning balls. I also use it with full swings from 75-80 yards.

I'd say go with whichever one you're most comfortable with, especially for a full swing. I can't imagine having a club in my bag I didn't feel confident making a full swing with.

58* is my highest I have no need for anything higher. Personally I'd get a 58* and have the best of both worlds and be happy.

What do you use highest lofted wedge for? My 56 is the highest loft and I use it only for sand shots. That's about it. If I have a ball very close to the green and sitting up, and I need to get it either up an elevation, or over a hazard, I'll open up the face and try to flop shot on the green.

What would you do in my situation? I'd go for whatever is the more versatile of the two.

highest loft is 60. md3 with 11* bounce (iirc), w grind. i use it for full swings inside 100 yards, although it's tough to stretch it past 90 without thinning it a little! around the greens, i use it for sand depending on pin location, most pitches, and most shots that need loft.

in your position? i'd go pm all day long. i'm not sure i understand what the rtx 2.0 offers you that the pm doesn't. it seems like the pm offers quite a bit more than the rtx.

I use a 60* bent to 61. And I use it for pretty much for everything from 105 yards and in. Bunker shots that need to get up fast and land soft and short, I'll use it as well.

I also have the rtx in 58. Its a fantastic wedge for exactly as you described. I rarely use it for full shots either and I feel like it's pretty versatile. No need for me to go higher

The highest loft wedge wedge in my bag is a 60°. It fits in perfectly with short shots around the green and with shots of 50 yards and in. I did at one point in time have a 62° that I got for a steal, but ended up getting rid of it due to in consistency.

For your situation I would go with the PM grind. I personally have never hit both but have heard nothing but great things about how versatile the PM grind can be.

Last edited:
I use my highest lofted wedge (56, or 58 depending on my setup) for partial swings, and from greenside bunkers.

For you, are you comfortable with playing straight on shots w/ the PM grind? If you got a 58 there, would you be able to sort of split the difference between the wedges, or would you just end up with a wedge that isn't as good for what you're using the RTX and PM for individually?

60* PM grind.

Used for some bunker shots. Only full swings are when having to go up and over something with a max of 70 yards.

So I'm going back and forth on my highest lofted wedge from my RTX 2.0 in 58 degrees and the PM Grind in 60 degrees.

I like both. I love the versatility of the PM Grind for specialty shots and it looks like a "pancake" the way it lays flat. I also love the RTX for pure use and the ability to be aggressive around the green.

I should add that I use neither for full swings. So that leads to the questions.

What do you use highest lofted wedge for?
What would you do in my situation?

60 PM is my high club once again, the versatility put it back in the bag over the 60-W MD3. Plus, I wanted to STOP FULL SWINGING MY 60, and the PM makes me do that.

I say PM grind for versatility, knowing you and how you play, its a very specific club that can be a weapon for you when you need to call upon it. Max versatility in that spot for you dude.

I play a Tour Grind 60. I use it for almost everything inside 100.

I carry a 58°, but I've strongly pondered going to a 52/56/60 setup. I use the 58 for nearly all my greenside work. Flops shots, pitches inside 80 yards, most things in between.

My highest lofted wedge is a 54. In my other set, I have a 60 which I use just inside greenside bunkers. I usually have problems controlling higher lofted wedges.

I have a 56 at the moment. I use it for almost anything including popping it up and letting it stop quick. I'd go with whatever feels best. I'd probably lean PM for the versatility

I see many answering the first part of the OP but what about the second? What would you do in JB's situation?

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

Back