The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup my irons need some lie adjustments. Way really consistent but it was consistent off the toe. Hybrids and wedges are ready to go.

A bit of a mixed back at the range yesterday. Second time out all year after not touching a club since last fall. Putting on 30 lb over the winter not helping much either. Not worrying too much about results just trying to get my body used to the golf swing again. Little disappointed to have some shanks but I think a lot of it has to do with being out of shape and diving into the ball a bit. Trying to focus on getting setup properly; keeping my shoulders and hips square to the ball and keeping my weight off my heels.

I am FINALLY on plane with my takeaway! Saw it repeatedly on film today and it's a relief of major proportions. No more sucking the club inside and forcing my weight on the front foot because of it.

Now, sequencing from the top, still a work in progress to break up the shoulders and lower body to let the club drop, but I'll get there.

Really need to get to the range this week and work on my 6 iron thru 3 hybrid. Very scratchy today!

spent time hitting into my net (ranges here aren't open yet), Heavenwood arrived last night and was pounding it into my net. I can't wait to turn this thing loose on the course, it's just so easy to hit!

For as well as I played a few days ago, practice was the opposite. Practiced on course and neither the driver nor putter were on. Lots of chunked shots with the irons and hybrids. When I made good contact, I saw high flights and good distance, but that was only about a third of my shots. I'll get it straightened out, and I know my potential now ... but this feels like a step back. Poop.

hit the range today worked on taking the club back online, coiling onto my right ride and not leaning/tilting left, and staying behind the ball into impact.

Was a good day ball flight is soo much better when I stay behind the ball and move through it.

For as well as I played a few days ago, practice was the opposite. Practiced on course and neither the driver nor putter were on. Lots of chunked shots with the irons and hybrids. When I made good contact, I saw high flights and good distance, but that was only about a third of my shots. I'll get it straightened out, and I know my potential now ... but this feels like a step back. Poop.

When we practice at the range or on the course it's not about hitting good shots it's about making the right moves regardless of what the ball does. Keep at it man

Boot camp starts tomorrow for the kids, most will be gone all spring break so we are really going to get after it this week... If the weather holds up. Ugh.

Boot camp starts tomorrow for the kids, most will be gone all spring break so we are really going to get after it this week... If the weather holds up. Ugh.

Going to make 'em run?

Today I worked a lot on chipping and putting. Figured out some thing chipping that I really like!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Lot of practice today. Focused on hitting some chips and short game shots at different lofts. Really payed attention to my wrists at impact and the way it effected ball flight.
Then worked on putting. I have switched to a left hand low putting stroke and I feel like it is going to be really good for me. Especially on shorter putts. Longer putts I'm still going to try and putt like i used to because I have a better feel.
Lastly I went to the range and hit about 60 shots. Really was tinkering with my m1 to see which shaft I liked more. I honestly don't think it will replace my fly z but it was so windy today that I just couldn't get a good feeling on either.
Felt good to be out today and working on my game again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

still trying to figure best grip configuration... You can see I'm all over the place on brand/size

a583976fe042e3b4b771ac21295b16a6.jpg
0aae3671053880ddced2ea6221e105a0.jpg
0e4212ce4f15e2c5557d1fdcb9f8abfb.jpg
10a650a9e88ff1ec61ac85c1d6f018a2.jpg

Was going to go play 9 this afternoon, but after yesterday I think I may go back and out and put in another on-course practice round. Got to stay on top of my driving and short game. My lesson can't come soon enough ... one week from today!

Was going to go play 9 this afternoon, but after yesterday I think I may go back and out and put in another on-course practice round. Got to stay on top of my driving and short game. My lesson can't come soon enough ... one week from today!

I like it dude! Just concentrate on making a good swing fundamentally and play stress free.

Spent sometime at the range in between errands during lunch. Focus was on the drills from my lesson. Hitting s***s with the pitching wedge like I was going to hit a 60 yd pitch but try to hit it as far as possible with a follow thru that is cutoff.

The he other item was to work on shortening backswing and getting hands more out in front instead of stick behind me.

Hit 15 balls with the pitching wedge drill then 5 balls with full swing to incorporate the feeling into full swing. Then hit 30 balls with 7i getting a feeling for the short swing and keep the hands from rolling over to soon causing my normal miss of a pull.

hit another 20 balls with driver and hw followed by wedge work hitting shots to 30,40,50,60,70,80 and 90 yds

Was happy with the success I was seeing with the irons and need to spend time getting the same feeling on the driver and my woods

Hitting s***s with the pitching wedge like I was going to hit a 60 yd pitch but try to hit it as far as possible with a follow thru that is cutoff.

I love my PW. Would never treat it like that.
Might give it a go with my 3-iron though.

Practice round went so/so. Off the tee, I was 5/7 FIR. Learning to love and play my fade ... though when the spring rolls around and these trees fill out I need to be careful or I'll wind up in the woods. Though for those handful of holes, my FYbrid should give me a good shot at FIR. Could barely hit an iron/hybrid 15 feet off the ground. If I counted first ball, would have shot a 48. 20 friggin putts with two three jacks and a four putt!

Hole #17 epitomized my play. Hit the fairway. Left me 125 out. Pulled my 8i. First swing, topped leaving me about 40 yards to go. Second swing from same distance hits the green, kicks right and leaves me 4 feet from pin that I tap in for "birdie".

Back to the 40 yard ball ... a decel makes me hit behind the ball leaving me off the green. Need to chip on and then two putt for a carded double bogey. One bad swing after a perfect tee shot leads to a double while a good swing results in birdie. I need to figure out how to hit more of the good swings as my first swing!

Oh and does anyone want a Never Compromise GM2 Exchange with a Lamkin SINK SQD-13 grip for a good price?

Practice round went so/so. Off the tee, I was 5/7 FIR. Learning to love and play my fade ... though when the spring rolls around and these trees fill out I need to be careful or I'll wind up in the woods. Though for those handful of holes, my FYbrid should give me a good shot at FIR. Could barely hit an iron/hybrid 15 feet off the ground. If I counted first ball, would have shot a 48. 20 friggin putts with two three jacks and a four putt!

Hole #17 epitomized my play. Hit the fairway. Left me 125 out. Pulled my 8i. First swing, topped leaving me about 40 yards to go. Second swing from same distance hits the green, kicks right and leaves me 4 feet from pin that I tap in for "birdie".

Back to the 40 yard ball ... a decel makes me hit behind the ball leaving me off the green. Need to chip on and then two putt for a carded double bogey. One bad swing after a perfect tee shot leads to a double while a good swing results in birdie. I need to figure out how to hit more of the good swings as my first swing!

Oh and does anyone want a Never Compromise GM2 Exchange with a Lamkin SINK SQD-13 grip for a good price?
Bb1 sounds nice right about now ha.

That said concentrate on making that chip and a 1 putt for par after the bad shot. We are all going to have those wtf shots they happen but if you can minimize the effect on the scorecard it will be like they were not really there and you can't minimize the effect (in the moment ) by hitting it perfect the next time that shot comes up but you can minimize it by hitting a great recovery after your wtf shot.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Got in two buckets at the range this afternoon. Basically went through the entire bag. Things are coming along. Hoping to get in 18 this week as the weather looks great

Just spent an hour working on ball striking. Finally a full bucket of well struck shots. I feel very comfortable over the ball again. Going forward I will get back into my normal routine. Just had to get my sh1t together on full swings.

Bb1 sounds nice right about now ha.

That said concentrate on making that chip and a 1 putt for par after the bad shot. We are all going to have those wtf shots they happen but if you can minimize the effect on the scorecard it will be like they were not really there and you can't minimize the effect (in the moment ) by hitting it perfect the next time that shot comes up but you can minimize it by hitting a great recovery after your wtf shot.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yeah, it is lol. I'm going to check them out after I tee it up with Marc on Friday.

Yeah I lost focus after that "birdie" need to stay committed.

Worked with my 60 degree today on full swings and partial. It was a very productive 30 minutes. I think I may have found something that is working consistently.

Hit the first range session of the 2016 calendar year with about 100 balls. Great initial prep for #THPRegionalRivalry. 62* and 10 mph wind from right to left. Struggled with the long irons and chunkies today, but figured both out toward the end. Driver, metalwoods, and scoring clubs were all very solid. Great start to the year and i was surprised to be the only soul on the property.

282e018d4780a44150b02e715bbfeced.jpg

went to the range after work today. i have been struggling with my irons so i switched back to my old iron set. i cant believe how well i hit them its like i never missed a beat. needless to say they are getting new grips and going back in the bag for this year.

The THP Range/Practice Thread

I got out for some work tonight. Took the 4 iron, 8iron, and PW. I worked the 8 iron and PW the most tonight. But had the 4 iron simply because I just love smashing long irons hahaha. With the 8 iron I focused on staying silky smooth and flight in the ball. Hitting high soft fades and a lower penetrating shot. Still have some work to do with lighting it down, but I was pleased with the results I saw. Specifically my ability to hit that high soft fade on demand.

With the PW I worked 140 and in. Absolutely killed the net tonight at 125 with it. Landed a couple in it and the rest were very close. I then choked down on and commenced to take aim at flag at 115 and the 100 sign. Love hearing the ball hit the sign.....good work tonight on controlling the fight, distances and working the ball a little left to right.

Over all it was a great practice session under a comfortable conditions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back