2016 Fitness and Workout Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does Shaw roll the bar? It's not possibly to have the bar move both horizontally and vertically. Now, if he rolls back to the midfoot before he pulls, then there no problem. Pull early, then a problem. Pull late, then there's a problem. Pull from the same spot everytime, then it's water under the bridge.
He rolls it into place then goes, I thought that's what we were discussing haha. My bad if not, pulling while the thing is like actually still rolling back seems kinda crazy and fairly obvious it wouldnt be a good idea. I took Nebs explanation as he rolls the bar towards him on the first rep, sets and goes which is what Shaw does and would seem perfectly acceptable. Now I may have misunderstood this whole thing lol

He rolls it into place then goes, I thought that's what we were discussing haha. My bad if not, pulling while the thing is like actually still rolling back seems kinda crazy and fairly obvious it wouldnt be a good idea. I took Nebs explanation as he rolls the bar towards him on the first rep, sets and goes which is what Shaw does and would seem perfectly acceptable. Now I may have misunderstood this whole thing lol
Hahaha. This is just me making assumptions. Shaw also talks about pulling with his weight behind the bar. I don't like that position for somebody training for general strength. For somebody competing in a fed that allows straps and hitching it makes sense.

Hahaha. This is just me making assumptions. Shaw also talks about pulling with his weight behind the bar. I don't like that position for somebody training for general strength. For somebody competing in a fed that allows straps and hitching it makes sense.
He's also the biggest advocate of finding what works for you. Ed Coan and others talk about how there's not always a cookie cutter position for every single person out there. Ripp seems to disagree but there are people out there who dont exactly like everything the guy says.

Anyways here's Brians vid from this weekend previous record pull (Before Hall went). He rolls into position then goes
https://youtu.be/J-l1xxORnAQ

My problem is that I've done the Dave method and then stopped working out for a while to horrible results. These days, I'd rather be like the dude on the left. :D
4c746e740d516a2046f907aaaea8c79f.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I killed it today at orange theory to the tune of 954 cals burner. Was in it from the word go for 50 minutes straight. Strength and endurance
Damn, that's definitely putting work in. Hopefully you treated yourself to a nice steak for dinner. :D

He's also the biggest advocate of finding what works for you. Ed Coan and others talk about how there's not always a cookie cutter position for every single person out there. Ripp seems to disagree but there are people out there who dont exactly like everything the guy says.

Anyways here's Brians vid from this weekend previous record pull (Before Hall went). He rolls into position then goes
https://youtu.be/J-l1xxORnAQ
It's important to remember the demographics that Rip, Coan, and Shaw generally speak to. Shaw talks strongman. Coan talks to equipt powerlifters (and heavy steroid users). Rip talks to novice lifters. Rip trains a 94 year old woman at his gym, that is where Rip is generally coming from. Rip even says that at some point, strong people are strong people. The best examples I can think of are guys outside of strength, guys like Bubba Watson in Golf and Julio Franco in baseball. At some point God given skill makes a difference over understood efficiencies.

My problem is that I've done the Dave method and then stopped working out for a while to horrible results. These days, I'd rather be like the dude on the left. :D

All about goals. I want to be strong, abs be damned.

Well I will add this, and take hit how you will, but have you tried changing up your workout regimen? Why keep doing bench, squat, deads twice a week, when you aren't seeing the results you want. Why not have a back day and do auxiliary lifts around you main lifts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm following a very slightly modified version of the Starting Strength linear progression program, so that's why I'm doing the routine I'm doing, and I've seen tremendous gainzz from the program so far; 200 lbs increase in my squat in 6 months of doing the program. I'm stalled in my deadlift at the moment, so kind of trying to find a way to get unstuck, so seeing if there's anything else that might work better for me, from a form standpoint. I believe I'm close to the end of this phase of the program, so changes are coming, just not there yet.

That's exactly what I'm trying, same thing Shaw does; and actually got the idea to try it watching the pulls from the Arnold. I don't try to pull while it's moving, but get it mid foot (at least what feels mid foot to me, maybe a video is needed), and then I pull. I was always rolling the bar away from me when I'd set my hips, so this might be a way to combat that, but we'll see next time I pull.

Speaking of boring lifts, squats and bench press tonight.

It's important to remember the demographics that Rip, Coan, and Shaw generally speak to. Shaw talks strongman. Coan talks to equipt powerlifters (and heavy steroid users). Rip talks to novice lifters. Rip trains a 94 year old woman at his gym, that is where Rip is generally coming from. Rip even says that at some point, strong people are strong people. The best examples I can think of are guys outside of strength, guys like Bubba Watson in Golf and Julio Franco in baseball. At some point God given skill makes a difference over understood efficiencies.
That's a pretty big generalization.

I'm following a very slightly modified version of the Starting Strength linear progression program, so that's why I'm doing the routine I'm doing, and I've seen tremendous gainzz from the program so far; 200 lbs increase in my squat in 6 months of doing the program. I'm stalled in my deadlift at the moment, so kind of trying to find a way to get unstuck, so seeing if there's anything else that might work better for me, from a form standpoint. I believe I'm close to the end of this phase of the program, so changes are coming, just not there yet.

I'm not saying it's a bad workout regime, but it seems like you've you been looking for that extra something for the last few weeks, and what point do you just say it's not my form and you need try something different to get over that hump.

I'm not saying it's a bad workout regime, but it seems like you've you been looking for that extra something for the last few weeks, and what point do you just say it's not my form and you need try something different to get over that hump.

I hear you, and I have been struggling with my deadlift weights for a weeks now, but I think up until recently it was a form issue. At first I was rolling the bar when I'd set my hips, then I started trying to lift the bar with my back first, and I think I strained it 2 weeks ago when I tried really damn hard with incorrect form to lift the bar. I've since read the chapter on Starting Strength about proper form, but my back has been too sore to try the lift. Once my back is feeling better (almost there), I think I'll give it a shot with proper form, and if I still can't get it, then I think it's time for a change. I appreciate the discussion.

All about goals. I want to be strong, abs be damned.
Speaking of goals, I've almost gotten to mine wrt bodyfat % of 12-15.

ee8d6c7f314e70ef98a25af49842f13f.jpg

Speaking of goals, I've almost gotten to mine wrt bodyfat % of 12-15.

ee8d6c7f314e70ef98a25af49842f13f.jpg

Dang dude. You've got to be getting vascular.

got back to the gym for the first time in 2 months yesterday, I am hurting today but it hurts so good.
For a couple weeks just going to do, squats, bench, overhead press and pullups eod for a couple weeks to get back into the flow.

I hope this allergy induced asthma is finally behind me

Dang dude. You've got to be getting vascular.
Starting to. I use the YMCA numbers when I want to feel good about myself. I'd guess I'm a few points higher. ;)

got back to the gym for the first time in 2 months yesterday, I am hurting today but it hurts so good.
For a couple weeks just going to do, squats, bench, overhead press and pullups eod for a couple weeks to get back into the flow.

awesome! Get it done, sir!

Keep on keeping on.

been a bit since i've posted. So last monday i did the 305 squats at the gym that had the crappy bars that would just slide down my back. Kind of stretched that posterior shoulder capsule that i had trouble with, and to this day its still a bit sore. visited physio again and she said that my tests for rotator cuff and everything else was good, so probably just inflamed the capsule with how it had to stretch to hold the bar when it was sliding down.

I was going to rest it for a bit but i was able to get into the gym on friday last week and finish my workout without any pain, so that was a good sign. Decided to just go for it finally and finished my full 3x5 squats @ 315 and OHP @110, and 1x5 DL at 355. Everything felt good and instead of lifting yesterday i decided to give my shoulder a little more rest and do some rowing on the concept 2. Wearing a cotton shirt, having a bar with center knurling, and chalking up my shoulders and back definitely made a huge difference in bar stability. Will be back in the gym tomorrow going for squats/bench/rows.

Presses, 9 finger deadlifts, Lat Pulldowns. Living the dream.

Squats, press, and pull downs tonight, a.k.a. my least favorite training day. Squats progressed, but dang they are getting hard. Worked on TUBOW, and feel like it's getting more natural. Presses were fine, hit 135 for 4 reps + a cheater push press rep. Deloaded to 125 and got 2 sets of 5. Pull downs were fairly uneventful, but on that last set my arms feel like they want to fall off.

My spud belt should be here tomorrow, so I look forward to trying it out on Friday.

Squats, press, and pull downs tonight, a.k.a. my least favorite training day. Squats progressed, but dang they are getting hard. Worked on TUBOW, and feel like it's getting more natural. Presses were fine, hit 135 for 4 reps + a cheater push press rep. Deloaded to 125 and got 2 sets of 5. Pull downs were fairly uneventful, but on that last set my arms feel like they want to fall off.

My spud belt should be here tomorrow, so I look forward to trying it out on Friday.
Your squat is no joke my man. We may be switching that up soon. Heavy set of 5 and then two deload sets.

My wife and I need to get back into working out again and want to get an activity tracker of some kind to help us along - plus our employer does health incentives so we can use them for that and I'm also a numbers guy and just plain like stats. :)

We have a friend with a new Fitbit Blaze that my wife likes, but I also see the Garmin Vivoactive HR has some additional capabilities (including golf tracking). We both like the heart rate monitor being included in the device (I know it isn't as accurate, but just for ballpark is fine). Any recommendations from you more serious workout warriors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back