2016 Fitness and Workout Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I need to get back into working out again and want to get an activity tracker of some kind to help us along - plus our employer does health incentives so we can use them for that and I'm also a numbers guy and just plain like stats. :)

We have a friend with a new Fitbit Blaze that my wife likes, but I also see the Garmin Vivoactive HR has some additional capabilities (including golf tracking). We both like the heart rate monitor being included in the device (I know it isn't as accurate, but just for ballpark is fine). Any recommendations from you more serious workout warriors?
I recommend getting the cheapest one from fitbit or another reputable manufacturer. When it breaks hot can get another one and not worry about it too much. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Once the new job begins and I can get into a groove, I plan on getting a gym membership to do some working out. Going to focus on the core, stamina, and arms first. Any suggestions on what lifts/techniques/machines will get me the results I want without getting bulky? Also looking to lose about 20 pounds but if it is 10 or 15 with added muscle, I'm alright with that.

Once the new job begins and I can get into a groove, I plan on getting a gym membership to do some working out. Going to focus on the core, stamina, and arms first. Any suggestions on what lifts/techniques/machines will get me the results I want without getting bulky? Also looking to lose about 20 pounds but if it is 10 or 15 with added muscle, I'm alright with that.
Can you focus on core, stamina, and legs instead?

I say this because your arms will develop naturally as a result of holding a barbell or dumbbell.

Can you focus on core, stamina, and legs instead?

I say this because your arms will develop naturally as a result of holding a barbell or dumbbell.

My legs are already very, very solid after years of being a catcher and running back. I just mentioned those that lack notably behind the legs. Not that I won't work out the legs, but I know how to get results in that lone area.

If you don't want cumbersome bulk, isolation based training is not ideal.

For core strength, squats, deads and presses. For guns to get girls chins and bench. For abzzz, eat correctly.

On a scale of 1-10, how sore should my back be a day after squats, because it feels like a 6 or 7. About middle of the back (top to bottomwise) and just on the left side. Not sure of this is just normal sore from lifting heavy things or if I tweaked something. It's been tender for awhile (since a bad round of deadlifts) but feels more aggravated.

On a scale of 1-10, how sore should my back be a day after squats, because it feels like a 6 or 7. About middle of the back (top to bottomwise) and just on the left side. Not sure of this is just normal sore from lifting heavy things or if I tweaked something. It's been tender for awhile (since a bad round of deadlifts) but feels more aggravated.

Please be more specific. Which area? Up, down, left? Focused or widespread? Has it been consistently tender or only when you lift?

How many ibuprofen have you taken?

Please be more specific. Which area? Up, down, left? Focused or widespread? Has it been consistently tender or only when you lift?

How many ibuprofen have you taken?

3d655a788757bc38d5f4462f25df754c.jpg

Pretty focused, tender all the time but when I lift weights or things around the house it hurts a little more.

No Ibuprofen yet. I've been alternating heat and ice tonight.

3d655a788757bc38d5f4462f25df754c.jpg

Pretty focused, tender all the time but when I lift weights or things around the house it hurts a little more.

No Ibuprofen yet. I've been alternating heat and ice tonight.
Pop 4 Advil every 4-5 hours. Have you been alternating your deadlift grip?

Pop 4 Advil every 4-5 hours. Have you been alternating your deadlift grip?
Yes, I've been alternating sides on my mixed grip.

Yes, I've been alternating sides on my mixed grip.
Did this start when you started alternating?

Just a hunch if it did. But I think that you're seeing some muscle "tenderness" with the new grip. it's most likely a result of twisting in your pull, which is common with alternating grip.

Did this start when you started alternating?

Just a hunch if it did. But I think that you're seeing some muscle "tenderness" with the new grip. it's most likely a result of twisting in your pull, which is common with alternating grip.
I started noticing it about 2 weeks ago, when I strained really hard to try and progress my deadlift, which also coincides with going to a mixed grip. Not sure if it's from mixed grip or pulling heavy with poor form. Heavy squats yesterday seemed to aggravate it further. Think I'm OK to lift heavy again tomorrow?

I started noticing it about 2 weeks ago, when I strained really hard to try and progress my deadlift, which also coincides with going to a mixed grip. Not sure if it's from mixed grip or pulling heavy with poor form. Heavy squats yesterday seemed to aggravate it further. Think I'm OK to lift heavy again tomorrow?
I can't say that. You have to make that call.

If you don't want cumbersome bulk, isolation based training is not ideal.

For core strength, squats, deads and presses. For guns to get girls chins and bench. For abzzz, eat correctly.
Even with isolation, how is that "cumbersome"? Dude isn't just going to blow up all of the sudden

I can't say that. You have to make that call.
Then what the hell do I pay you for??? Oh, right... :alien:

I think I'll see how it feels tomorrow and will likely still lift but may deload a little.

Really? I'd always heard to alternate. Shows what I know.
And maybe two years from now it'll be only ice. Sports medicine can be an inexact science sometimes. :D

Even with isolation, how is that "cumbersome"? Dude isn't just going to blow up all of the sudden
When most people, especially "bros" (not tpluff specifically), when isolation lifts are the focus, form is compromised and ROM is restricted. Once that becomes habit, it's hard to move away from it.

Specifically, when most guys I know want to focus on arms, trouble usually follows in the shoulders.

Then what the hell do I pay you for??? Oh, right... :alien:

I think I'll see how it feels tomorrow and will likely still lift but may deload a little.
This to me doesn't sound like run of the mill muscle soreness. Focused sensation at insertion points worries me.

This to me doesn't sound like run of the mill muscle soreness. Focused sensation at insertion points worries me.
OK, what would you do based on the information I've given you?

OK, what would you do based on the information I've given you?
Lift at 70% of your weight for the rest of the next session. 5x5 squats and bench. Deads, 135lbs for 3x12 and double overhand all of them. Focus on form and really setting your lumbar.

I a grind of a workout today. It was one of those days where I wasn't really motivated to be at the gym. Chest today.

Bench 3x12@ 115(50ish% of max)

DB incline, DB Bench, DB Flys, Decline Bench, OB Twist, hanging hollow holds, hanging knee raises, elbow tap planks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decided to rehab my back with curls tonight... The 12 oz variety, instead of the gym. I think it will help.

Decided to rehab my back with curls tonight... The 12 oz variety, instead of the gym. I think it will help.
Hopefully for high intensity reps. Some people would call that dynamic effort training.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back