Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

I got my first on the course playing time with these today and it was great, these really performed nice. I can't get over how great of forgiveness they have. I missed on both the toe a couple of times and thinned once and each time there was minimal distance loss, I couldn't believe the result. Any issues I had with them were purely swing problems. I'm really excited for this season knowing that I'll be able to get away with less than stellar shots, that's not something I've had in recent years.

And this was my 9 iron shot on the first hole. It was a nice way to start off the new iron relationship.

WI87rxNLeHQqOr6d7Bx8ypHaGeAJrmmuBzZSLCrsGU5WJcphOpSClNBmVa_AHUgVff70=w2881-h5118-no

Last edited:
I played in 2 days of really tough conditions (wet, rainy 20-40 mph wind & worst of all a garbage swing). I have raved about the forgiveness in these, but when I put a good swing on these look out.

The flight is towering but not ballooning (even into a stiff breeze) with soft feel. I need to get my swing right because when I hit these well the results are mind boggling.

I have to stop reading this thread, has me pondering to much. :bulgy-eyes:

Getting out tomorrow!!!!!! I bet I use a few of these irons here and there :alien:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B-e-a-utiful.

938C1D7C-43A0-489F-8DD5-038EF6DDDE84_zpslpxw5gri.jpg

What kind of spin are you talking here? Shot shaping or stopping power?

Stopping power. Don't stop as well as my previous gamers (Ping i25,) but still suitable.

Fun Fact: I spun back multiple balls with these short irons yesterday while playing with a few THPers! Full disclosure, soft greens help, but I had some well struck shots with these, the long irons have felt great the last 2 days, just a very effortless interaction between the face of the club and the ball, the short irons have no trouble maintain Normal gapping coming from the CF technology but I still haven't fully dialed in my yardages with each club, I think I will be seeing some awesome stuff consistently, when I get those numbers dialed in. Oh and the A wedge definitely still stand for Awesome!

Best mid cap iron Callaway has made yet. I still prefer the pro version in the short irons, but tough to go wrong with these clubs. Combo set is very intriguing.

So I've been reading through here a lot and realize some are not getting the distance they would expect out of the lower irons. But there's so many pages and it all seems to jumble together. My head is spinning really. And since many of you out there understand these things more than myself....Can someone explain the difference of the regular CF's and the Pro Combo set to me in maybe a simple fashion and maybe what I would see in terms of differences with those sets...I'd greatly appreciate it. :)

So I've been reading through here a lot and realize some are not getting the distance they would expect out of the lower irons. But there's so many pages and it all seems to jumble together. And since many of you out there understand these things more than myself....Can someone explain the difference of the regular CF's and the Pro Combo set to me in maybe a simple fashion and maybe what I would see in terms of differences with those sets...I'd greatly appreciate it. :)

The combo set is one I don't get release wise from Callaway (at least for the masses), particularly because the scoring irons from the Pro's spin a considerable amount more than the CF16 do and are CRAZY different profile.

So would you say the Pro Scoring Irons distance wise are comparable to the CF 16? What type of player would you consider the Pro Combo set good for?

The combo set is one I don't get release wise from Callaway (at least for the masses), particularly because the scoring irons from the Pro's spin a considerable amount more than the CF16 do and are CRAZY different profile.

So would you say the Pro Scoring Irons distance wise are comparable to the CF 16? What type of player would you consider the Pro Combo set good for?

To the first. No, not in my opinion. I simply don't see how there won't be a pretty significant gap there where they blend for us mere mortals, but this is based on hitting both sets side by side on trackman with multiple shafts at the ECPC. The Pro's are PLAYERS cavities designed for their pro's to play as such.

If I'm being honest? I don't think its good for most am's. I know some will disagree there and that's fine, I'm ok with that, but they look cool and IMO many want to say they play a combo set.

To the first. No, not in my opinion. I simply don't see how there won't be a pretty significant gap there where they blend for us mere mortals, but this is based on hitting both sets side by side on trackman with multiple shafts at the ECPC. The Pro's are PLAYERS cavities designed for their pro's to play as such.

If I'm being honest? I don't think its good for most am's. I know some will disagree there and that's fine, I'm ok with that, but they look cool and IMO many want to say they play a combo set.
I have played multiple combo sets in seasons past and can honestly say. At the end of every season I wonder why the heck I did. It's such a stubborn ego thing in my opinion. Most amateurs just believe they need thinner short irons. I have done that dance and said similar things and I always question why I lied to myself.

I'll also add, I've still not seen any of the distance issues with these where the set transitions from CF to not. They blend seamlessly for me distance wise.

I'll also add, I've still not seen any of the distance issues with these where the set transitions from CF to not. They blend seamlessly for me distance wise.

Same here gaps are consistent from 4i all the way down to SW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ditto, I've not had any issues with gapping from CF clubs to the scoring clubs. If anything, I wish there WAS a bigger gap for me from 7i to 8i.

These clubs are AWESOME!! The ball just goes with the long irons. Hitting a 6 iron about 185 yards with baby fade. The ball stops on a dime with the short irons. Going from the Apex pro to these was the best decision i have made this year. The forgiveness on mishits is amazing and not losing a ton distance. These clubs will be in the bag for a longtime.

I'll jump into the group that sees no gap jump from the threshold of CF technology and the lack of CF technology.

Adding the Sensicore inserts to these made them even better IMO if that's even possible!

FYI- I just had my loft and lie angles checked today, I custom ordered my set 2 up & 1 strong. Not a single club was correct to the ordered specs. These are great irons, but get them checked if you custom ordered them.

Dax

Today reaffirmed for me that I've never hit an iron as forgiving on the low miss.

Today reaffirmed for me that I've never hit an iron as forgiving on the low miss.
I will second this. The low miss with these becomes not a miss.
These irons are the cats meow

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

FYI- I just had my loft and lie angles checked today, I custom ordered my set 2 up & 1 strong. Not a single club was correct to the ordered specs. These are great irons, but get them checked if you custom ordered them.

Dax

I will get mine checked, don't think it has had any effect but that is weird that they none would be correct to spec.

Club builder said he will have the new shafts in them tonight & I can pick them up in the morning before the round. Now I just need the rain to stay away.

Back