Ben Hogan PTx Irons Review Thread

It's a curious one to me. On one hand, as a Pelz fan I'm used to the idea that we should carry more scoring clubs because those are the shots we hit most. On the other hand, I'm kind of like Canadan in the Fort Worth iron review in that 58* is as high as I probably want to go.

It's a curious one to me. On one hand, as a Pelz fan I'm used to the idea that we should carry more scoring clubs because those are the shots we hit most. On the other hand, I'm kind of like Canadan in the Fort Worth iron review in that 58* is as high as I probably want to go.

This has always been me. There's very little reason for me to carry a 60* because there aren't many benefits to it for me over a 58*. The furthest I can hit a 58* (cleanly, anyways) is like 90 yards and that's if I shut the face up. I more frequently take it from around 75yds. I can't see carrying an extra club for 65yd full swings.

Lot's of talk yesterday with cookie, bigtex and texashacker about these irons and the THP event coming up. Wish we could fast forward to the event. Gonna be some good information out there once this event it done. Can't wait.

I know I've heard some things thrown around on the size of these being smaller heel to toe, but with a little more topline than many smaller players irons. Are there any pictures at address of these out there? I'm super curious how they compare to the J15 DF, because the hollow head design of the PTx sounds really similar in principle to the 2 piece forging/"hidden cavity" of the DF's.

May I also add that I LOVE that the stock graphite shaft in these is the Recoil, and that there are 2 weight classes of steel shafts available.

I know I've heard some things thrown around on the size of these being smaller heel to toe, but with a little more topline than many smaller players irons. Are there any pictures at address of these out there? I'm super curious how they compare to the J15 DF, because the hollow head design of the PTx sounds really similar in principle to the 2 piece forging/"hidden cavity" of the DF's.

May I also add that I LOVE that the stock graphite shaft in these is the Recoil, and that there are 2 weight classes of steel shafts available.

I have them with me so if you remind me later tonight when we are back at hotel I can take a few and even put it next to something like Apex CF16 side by side.

I have them with me so if you remind me later tonight when we are back at hotel I can take a few and even put it next to something like Apex CF16 side by side.

That would be awesome, thanks JB!

I am waiting to hear if we will be fit there and the the clubs built or how it will be decided. Still a bit early for all the info I guess. I am on the fence to the shaft choice as usual.

I am waiting to hear if we will be fit there and the the clubs built or how it will be decided. Still a bit early for all the info I guess. I am on the fence to the shaft choice as usual.

Same here. I went through a fitting in 2013 at a Taylormade Lab and was fit for 130 gram X-flex shafts. Then I tried to play around with lighter and in stiff which killed my 2015 golf year despite seeing big improvements for me in other areas of the game. I went back through a fitting process with my instructor over several weeks using my clubs fitting carts and am back in 130 gram X-flex shafts. My first round after switching back I made my first ever eagle. I'm not really sure I want to try anything else for shafts after having gone through such an extensive testing period. So, the stock shafts really scare me, but I know they have other options available.

I can have decent success with anything as far as shafts are concerned so I'll just trust Hogan on whatever they think.

FYI from the event thread:
Each participant will receive a brand new set of PTx irons. Prior to the event (a week), you will be tasked with sending in your current set of irons to the company. This will be for measuring, etc. Once there you will work with the Ben Hogan Golf team to get you into the perfect set of PTx where they will be built for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure there'll be a process that we'll need to follow before the actual fitting on the 29th; I'm looking forward to the details...

This is going to be an awesome adventure, I'm still pinching myself.

Flight3i4i5i6i7i8i9iPW
Low20242832364044
Mid-Low21252933374145
Gamer2124273034384246
Mid-High22263034384246
High23273135394448

I like the Ben Hogan Golf's concept of loft based fitting. I'm not a participant. However, like T4K I wanted to show how my current gamers compared to the Ben Hogan chart.

A couple of notes:
I do occasionally game my set 3i & 4i, though I see more distance with my Mashies.
My current gamers are almost spot on to the Hogan's Mid-High setup, which makes me happy.
When I went through Hogan's on-line fitting my ideal setup was really close to my current bag.

Flight3i4i5i6i7i8i9iPW
Low20242832364044
Mid-Low21252933374145
Gamer2124273034384246
Mid-High22263034384246
High23273135394448

I like the Ben Hogan Golf's concept of loft based fitting. I'm not a participant. However, like T4K I wanted to show how my current gamers compared to the Ben Hogan chart.

My 714 AP2's have the same loft as your gamers and I assume would put me in the Hogan's "Mid-High" launch/loft profile. These profiles are interesting to me because I've always thought of shaft being more of the determining factor in launch conditions. I'm curious as to how the profiles will come into play for everyone at the event.

Since I am still getting used to the Wilson V4, in a couple more weeks I will have a better feel if I need to make some adjustments.

I was just looking at the Hogan website at the TK-15 wedges and saw this quote:

"We recommend starting your set of TK wedges with a true “pitching wedge” of 48-51 degrees. This is the club Mr. Hogan’s competitors dubbed “the Equalizer”, and it will quickly become one of your favorite “go to” clubs."

I wonder how that relates to the launch/loft profiles they have? Like my current PW is at 46*. I wonder if that would put me in their "Low" profile for the irons since the 44* isn't actually considered a PW by the Hogan company, then start the wedges at 48 - like 48/52/56/60?

* And sorry for all the thoughts/guesses, it's part of the excitement for me in an event like this.

Hard not to be excited and ponder the combinations and thinking in terms of loft to distance only takes some thought. Until we can hit them and see how the distances work out to the set makeup it is tough one for sure.

My 714 AP2's have the same loft as your gamers and I assume would put me in the Hogan's "Mid-High" launch/loft profile. These profiles are interesting to me because I've always thought of shaft being more of the determining factor in launch conditions. I'm curious as to how the profiles will come into play for everyone at the event.
Do you consider the flight profile of your APs's to be Mid-High? I have the Fujikura Fuel in my CB Proh and that seems like an accurate description.

Like you, I'm really interested in seeing how the flight profiles play out for the participants.

Do you consider the flight profile of your APs's to be Mid-High? I have the Fujikura Fuel in my CB Proh and that seems like an accurate description.

Like you, I'm really interested in seeing how the flight profiles play out for the participants.

I'm not sure really. I hit them close to the ideal 30 yard peak height. If anything I hit them too high at times even with X100 shafts. But part of that has to do with not enough shaft lean at times during impact.

Prior to my AP2's I had Bridgestone J15 CB's which have slightly stronger lofts across the set but I hit them higher. Like moon ball high with my 7 iron hitting a peak height of 156 feet on FlightScope. But the majority of that was shaft related. It was just cheaper to sell my J15's and buy used AP2's with the right shaft than it was to reshaft the J15's.

That would be awesome, thanks JB!

Next to my irons. Hard to tel from the photo. Definitely a tad smaller

b3bd0bc33f1f79c637169425db70c89a.jpg

I'm not sure really. I hit them close to the ideal 30 yard peak height. If anything I hit them too high at times even with X100 shafts. But part of that has to do with not enough shaft lean at times during impact.

Prior to my AP2's I had Bridgestone J15 CB's which have slightly stronger lofts across the set but I hit them higher. Like moon ball high with my 7 iron hitting a peak height of 156 feet on FlightScope. But the majority of that was shaft related. It was just cheaper to sell my J15's and buy used AP2's with the right shaft than it was to reshaft the J15's.
I don't know if I have the swing speed to reach 156 feet with my 60° wedge. :D

Don't worry about asking questions and stuff. You're excited about the event. Heck, I'm excited/curious and I'm not even a participant.

Just a little bit more compact. The topline seems to be similar. I thought someone had commented that they were thicker?

Those are larger than I expected but still such a great size! Looks like small amount of offset too which I love.

Definitely smaller than I expected after some of the chatter, but they look great and don't seem to have much offset which is sweet. Weirdly the grooved area seems to be bigger despite the overall head being smaller, but it might just be a trick of the eye.

Definitely smaller than I expected after some of the chatter, but they look great and don't seem to have much offset which is sweet. Weirdly the grooved area seems to be bigger despite the overall head being smaller, but it might just be a trick of the eye.

It looks that way to me too. Like the grooves are extended a little more towards the heel.

Thanks for the pic JB. They look exactly like what I was hoping them to.

Back