The Bryson Dechambeau Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did the testing show?

The idea has been tried before. In the late 1980s, Tommy Armour Golf pushed a set of irons called E.Q.L., based on the idea of a single swing. These clubs were built to 6-iron length. That set never gained real traction, perhaps in part because the company’s 845 irons were exceedingly more popular. While there is something of a technology lull in the iron market today, Dechambeau’s method is at least getting some buzz.

Well the irons were a complete and utter failure so that is a start.
Im so confused by the 2nd part of this, unless it was a cut and paste from that article you used (because I just said that previously).

I like Dechambeau. He does things his own way, and that's good for golf even if his equipment choices remain an outlier. I'll bet his novel approach to golf has more positive grow the game impact than a minor apparel style feature like high tops.

I think his logic is completely flawed, but I guess time will tell. can't help but wonder if he'd be a player with a traditional set based on talent alone, but honestly it really doesn't matter much to me. As a person, and as a player, he doesn't bring much to the table to produce any interest from me, so i guess "move the needle" and "any press" isn't really factoring.

Plus, I don't subscribe to the "any press is good press" logic. I've seen it an awful lot, and it usually revolves around a strange concept/style.... and it's usually met with a 50/50 split of people saying it's good for the brand or bad for the brand.

and yet as jb alluded to in a previous post, somebody or somebodies whose job it is to make these decisions signed him and will pay him what to me would be a ----ton of money to be a golf ball hitting billboard, associating their brand with him.

the kid has a name i can remember. he has a style that's not mine but is recognizable. he has a setup that if nothing else people hear and will remember. and now it sounds like he will be wearing a company's golf clothes with a golf bag with oversized corporate logos that play well on tv. even if he crashes and burns miserably.

i'll ask it again, when is the last time a kid so fresh out of college had this many people talking about him? i think that kind of interest is something brands want to hitch themselves to.

I like Dechambeau. He does things his own way, and that's good for golf even if his equipment choices remain an outlier. I'll bet his novel approach to golf has more positive grow the game impact than a minor apparel style feature like high tops.

I would bet against that in a big way. High tops are popular right now with those outside of golf. The only way to grow the game is to add outsiders.

i'll ask it again, when is the last time a kid so fresh out of college had this many people talking about him? i think that kind of interest is something brands want to hitch themselves to.

Virtually every top amateur. I will also add, if you go away from the message boards, and to a golf course, nobody has a clue how Bryson is, what EQL was or what balancing a ball means, other than those are going to cost them more money.

I would bet against that in a big way. High tops are popular right now with those outside of golf. The only way to grow the game is to add outsiders.

I think he shows people that there is room to be unique in how to play golf, not just same old with a little bit of spray paint on top. But you may be right. Fashion is big.

Virtually every top amateur. I will also add, if you go away from the message boards, and to a golf course, nobody has a clue how Bryson is, what EQL was or what balancing a ball means, other than those are going to cost them more money.

I don't disagree about eql and all the other crap. but I do disagree about what happens on the course when he is playing. I think he is swarmed by media, and people are watching to see if he has success.

I have no idea who any top amateur was after tiger and until bryson. the only time I found out their names was if they made waves on tour. this kid has barely had any tour exposure and tons of people know who he is and are talking about him.

and yet as jb alluded to in a previous post, somebody or somebodies whose job it is to make these decisions signed him and will pay him what to me would be a ----ton of money to be a golf ball hitting billboard, associating their brand with him.

the kid has a name i can remember. he has a style that's not mine but is recognizable. he has a setup that if nothing else people hear and will remember. and now it sounds like he will be wearing a company's golf clothes with a golf bag with oversized corporate logos that play well on tv. even if he crashes and burns miserably.

He's really not that polarizing to the type of person these companies are seeking out, in my opinion.

Take away the golf-nerd (us), and put his face on a billboard. Do people see the strange club makeup? Is it marketable? Does it benefit a company to have a dude playing a totally different set than what they can buy in stores?

I don't disagree about eql and all the other crap. but I do disagree about what happens on the course when he is playing. I think he is swarmed by media, and people are watching to see if he has success.

I have no idea who any top amateur was after tiger and until bryson. the only time I found out their names was if they made waves on tour. this kid has barely had any tour exposure and tons of people know who he is and are talking about him.

Rickie Fowler and Jordan Spieth come to mind rather quickly for me.

Well the irons were a complete and utter failure so that is a start.
Im so confused by the 2nd part of this, unless it was a cut and paste from that article you used (because I just said that previously).

Sorry, was a cut and paste, forgot the quotes, just expanding on your point about the Tommy Armour irons. Those 845s were so good but wasn't that 25+ years ago?
Whatever, it's interesting and I would try them if they were made available to consumers. That's all I was saying.

He's really not that polarizing to the type of person these companies are seeking out, in my opinion.

Take away the golf-nerd (us), and put his face on a billboard. Do people see the strange club makeup? Is it marketable? Does it benefit a company to have a dude playing a totally different set than what they can buy in stores?

great point about the specific clubs and that's definitely a gamble. I still feel like driving traffic to the brand, even if it's not to a specific club, is good. if we are talking cobra, nobody on tour is playing the f6 irons. but people see Rickie fowler win, get excited about cobra, and go to a big box store to see what cobra is all about and maybe test something that works for them but has -0- tour presence.

Rickie Fowler and Jordan Spieth come to mind rather quickly for me.

haha I think you're an outlier! I don't think you forget anything you read or hear even in passing.

I love golf and watch golf all the time. I didn't know either one of them until they made waves on tour.

We geek out and focus on the equipment. But if he starts winning, people will watch him play. His swing and game define him more than his clubs. That's what I think people will notice, if he has some pizazz in his media presence to go with that.

haha I think you're an outlier! I don't think you forget anything you read or hear even in passing.

I love golf and watch golf all the time. I didn't know either one of them until they made waves on tour.

Next time you go to a course, assuming its before the Masters, ask if they know who he is. I did that recently and nobody had a clue. :D

We geek out and focus on the equipment. But if he starts winning, people will watch him play. His swing and game define him more than his clubs. That's what I think people will notice, if he has some pizazz in his media presence to go with that.

IF he starts winning, sure. But, Tour pros are playing their drivers at 44.5 inches and you don't see golfers flock to Golf Galaxy to get them to chop their drivers down to length. It also doesn't help much that the article being referenced talks about his unorthodox swing mechanics:

Sherburne points out that Dechambeau’s swing, a central part of why he’s adopted the single length shaft approach, utilizes very little wrist hinge. That’s just not practical for less athletically gifted weekend hacks.

“For most golfers with limited flexibility, the wrist hinge is imperative to creating speed and power,” Sherburne says. “You take that away from the average golfer and distance will be adversely affected.”

I just don't see anything polarizing about him beyond a really stupid WITB.

great point about the specific clubs and that's definitely a gamble. I still feel like driving traffic to the brand, even if it's not to a specific club, is good. if we are talking cobra, nobody on tour is playing the f6 irons. but people see Rickie fowler win, get excited about cobra, and go to a big box store to see what cobra is all about and maybe test something that works for them but has -0- tour presence.

Is that really the case?

How many people do you think would answer "Puma" if they were asked who Rickie was sponsored by?
How many people do you think would answer "Under Armour" if they were asked who Spieth was sponsored by?

... of the two, at least Rickie is playing 2016 Cobra gear haha

IF he starts winning, sure.

This is really the key and then all bets are off. Because right now, the only time an amateur is really known is at the Masters. Then a guy hits the tour and if he wins, attention will be there. If he doesnt, then they fade off a bit.

Is that really the case?

How many people do you think would answer "Puma" if they were asked who Rickie was sponsored by?
How many people do you think would answer "Under Armour" if they were asked who Spieth was sponsored by?

I don't think cpg is paying Rickie all that money because he's a real neat guy. or ua is paying spieth for his awesome hairline. hell, Nike doesn't seem to give a rip about peddling clubs but they sure do pay Rory a ransom to wear their gear.

I'm not sure how I feel about his swing and/or his clubs. Does what he's doing work? Absolutely, he proved that with his amateur play. Will it work for others? IMO it will, just like the Moe Norman swing works for some, those who commit to it anyway. Will it sell? I believe it will, there's plenty of room on the market for different clubs.

On a similar note; I lived through the persimmon to metal change, and I clearly remember nobody believing metal was going to replace wood.

Regardless, I'm disappointed that he's gone from Edel to Cobra. I'm guessing it was the money, and I believe he'd have the same exposure opportunities with Edel. IMO, he just drop-kicked the only guys who've believed in him, and his process. To me, that says something about his character.

I don't think cpg is paying Rickie all that money because he's a real neat guy. or ua is paying spieth for his awesome hairline. hell, Nike doesn't seem to give a rip about peddling clubs but they sure do pay Rory a ransom to wear their gear.

I think you missed the point. Despite the sponsorship, the visibility is far more about the apparel from a casual eye. You'd have to walk up and look into Spieth's bag in many cases to know he's gaming Titleist.

I think you missed the point. Despite the sponsorship, the visibility is far more about the apparel from a casual eye. You'd have to walk up and look into Spieth's bag in many cases to know he's gaming Titleist.

Dechambeau's hat is going to get him as much attention as his clubs for the casual viewer. But people will recognize him for it.

Is that really the case?

Good point on Fowler-Puma. I read/heard something (here, maybe?) that was saying how they were getting "Cobra" on his hat more this year, which I think is a good move.

Cobra's a brand I root for, and part of what I think makes Dechambeau interesting as a fit for them is that they seem pretty willing to do some big-time customization of their clubs for tour players. I know Fowler has a bunch of modifications made to his clubs. I still don't see this catching fire though - yes, there's the argument that people pooh-pooh change, but this concept isn't new.

My guess is that a small proportion of people will try it and find that the single length stuff works well for them, and they'll be extremely vocal about it. But I don't see it going mainstream.

i wonder what equipment company he will sign with ?

No. Ball position should be about flighting.
And Im not sure how this makes the game easier. It COULD make the game easier, it could also make it harder. Which do you hit better, your PW or your 6 or 7 iron? What makes you think all of teh sudden you will hit a full set of 6 or 7 iron length clubs better?

Is BD a one ball position player...for stock shots? Tom Lehman does this. But, it wasn't something the was very publicized or pushed out to the amateur player. It

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back