Georgia Tech Basketball Coach -"If You Play Golf, You Aren't Working For Me"

flog2424

Philippians 4:13
Reaction score
Handicap
Georgia Tech Basketball Coach -"If You Play Golf, You Aren't Working For Me"

This story continues to be the joke of the Atlanta Media. Josh Pastner, the new head coach of Georgia Tech has a simple rule for his coaching staff. Has anyone else had a boss that insisted you not play golf or it could lead to termination?

Per the Golf Channel......
Josh Pastner, Georgia Tech's new men's basketball coach, starts every interview with a potential assistant by asking the same question.
“My first question to anyone I (might) hire is, ‘Do you golf?’” Pastner said, according to theAtlanta Journal-Constitution.
Say what?! You don't ask first about, you know, basketball?
So what happens if they love the great game of golf?
“If they say, ‘Yes,’ you can’t work for me, because that means five hours on a Sunday or on a Saturday."
But what about nine holes? Or some Top Golf? A little range time? How about some putt-putt?
"Can’t. Don’t want it ... Any of my assistant coaches, if they’re golfers, not working for me.”

So clearly none of your down time or off season time is your own with him. What happens if someone has kids? If those kids play sports or have trips they need to go on, that's an entire day. This guy is a joke.

Remarkable Pastner was able to get the GT job after cratering with Memphis. He's not exactly a good basketball coach at this point; 7 years and 2 NCAAT wins with four visits. Decent recruiter, sure. I understand his point, but he needs to lighten up a little. That said, I expect GT will get a solid infusion of talent with him at the helm.

I actually dont have any issue with this.
Most know now that college coaching is a 7 day a week job. Having a hobby that immediately takes you away for 4-10 hours a week is not something that molds well with some programs.

I would golf so hard behind this guy's back just out of spite. Hello lit driving ranges..

I would golf so hard behind this guy's back just out of spite. Hello lit driving ranges..

There's a Top Golf in Midtown Atlanta. Within five miles of GT's campus.

I can understand the point of needing your staff's time focused on the game, recruiting, etc., and not wanting a lot of time spent on other things. Pointing out golf in particular seems like grandstanding to draw attention, though.

I understand his reasoning and don't have a problem with his decision. Simple, he wants a committed assistant, that's not asking, or expecting, too much for that type of job...IMO

This is why Im not a coach. Dont mess with my golf time!

I would NOT work for him! I would not qualify anyway....
I see that he wants commitment but I don't agree with singling out golf.
Jim Boeheim at Syracuse plays golf, Steph Curry plays golf and they seem to be doing fine.
Mr. President plays golf, and I can't imagine a college assistant coach needing more commitments that these three guys....

Having coached a HIGH hour sport for years, I see no problem with this.

Having coached a HIGH hour sport for years, I see no problem with this.

If it interfered with practice, a game, recruiting or whatever, I would agree. If it's my day off and there is nothing planned? Why is he telling me what activities I can or can't do that aren't illegal, immoral, or fattening?

So clearly none of your down time or off season time is your own with him. What happens if someone has kids? If those kids play sports or have trips they need to go on, that's an entire day. This guy is a joke.
Yeah if you are an assistant coach for a college like that you are not getting time off to see your kids play a sport.

If it interfered with practice, a game, recruiting or whatever, I would agree. If it's my day off and there is nothing planned? Why is he telling me what activities I can or can't do that aren't illegal, immoral, or fattening?

Day off?

Yeah if you are an assistant coach for a college like that you are not getting time off to see your kids play a sport.

That's fine. Then liking golf shouldn't matter. If you don't get time off, you don't get time off. But if for some weird reason you get a Saturday off, having them dictate what you can do on said day off is ridiculous.

Dude, there IS no off time. When you aren't doing any of the things you listed, you're watching film.

Hence why I ended up leaving the profession.

Exactly. This doesn't happen.

95% don't have any realization the hours that go into it all.

Assistant coaches are like the graduate students of the academic world. Insane hours, minimal pay. Also a dime a dozen, and if you can't/won't do it ... someone will gladly take your spot. All for the < 1% chance that you'll rise up in the ranks and make the big time at some point.

Dude, there IS no off time. When you aren't doing any of the things you listed, you're watching film.

then why point out golf in particular in the first place? Might as well just say "if you have hobbies, I won't hire you". Pointing out golf specifically has some sort of ulterior motive.

I have a huge problem with anyone telling me or anyone what they can or can't do in their free time as long as it's legal. Regardless if they have any said free time or not.

Assistant coaches are like the graduate students of the academic world. Insane hours, minimal pay. Also a dime a dozen, and if you can't/won't do it ... someone will gladly take your spot. All for the < 1% chance that you'll rise up in the ranks and make the big time at some point.

This is pretty damn spot on actually.

Blah, I'd make the time. Tech finished 21-15 on the season, so whatever they're doing doesn't seem to be working anyway.

People need outs from their job to decompress.

then why point out golf in particular in the first place? Might as well just say "if you have hobbies, I won't hire you". Pointing out golf specifically has some sort of ulterior motive.

I have a huge problem with anyone telling me or anyone what they can or can't do in their free time as long as it's legal. Regardless if they have any said free time or not.

Good thing no one is telling you that then eh? :alien:

We are so sensitive to things that are asked now it amazes me, if THIS is a criteria that, that coach deems necessary to work for him, then he should be able to ask that question. If an applicant doesn't like that, then apply somewhere else.

Blah, I'd make the time. Tech finished 21-15 on the season, so whatever they're doing doesn't seem to be working anyway.

People need outs from their job to decompress.

Its really not that simple the higher up in sports or the more competitive in sports you go though on the coaching side, it really isn't. College assistants have to eat, breathe, and sleep their job year round, especially with how recruiting is now.

Its really not that simple the higher up in sports or the more competitive in sports you go though on the coaching side, it really isn't. College assistants have to eat, breathe, and sleep their job year round, especially with how recruiting is now.

That just sounds terrible then. I can understand why you would just get to the point where you're like eff it, this isn't worth it anymore.

Back