Adam Scott Says No To Olympics

I don't blame him for not going...not at all. I can see a lot of negatives to going, and not many upsides. This looks to be a cluster, this might even make Sochi look like a good choice by comparison.

This reads like you're suggesting professional golfers are above Olympic living conditions, and professional hockey players are not because it's been the norm for them.

I really can't possibly disagree more with that idea. If it's good enough for the fastest man on the planet, it's good enough for a tour player.

Objectively, I agree. If it's good enough for an Olympian, it's good enough for a tour player.

But I'm neither of those things. I think that the Olympics is part of the culture of certain sports, including sports with high-paying professional elements, like soccer, tennis, and hockey, but not others, notably golf, cricket, and rugby league (yes, I know, sevens will be in the Olympics this year), especially given that those sports already have top-tier international competition with a lot of tradition behind it. I'm not judging the rightness or wrongness of the cultures of those sports, I'm just saying from my view they exist and that when/if these sports become Olympic events that they will have to successfully integrate the Olympics into that culture, and not everyone is going to agree with it.

Like I said in the other thread no real surprise, he had hinted at it earlier. Olympics are a pain with the fact you have to notify the doping committee of where you will be at what time once a day.

I guess one good thing about this makes Danny Lee almost a lock to represent Australia and im ok with that. Im a Danny Lee fan
Glad I am not the only one to mistake the NZ flag for Australia. They look basically the same.

As I understand it you don't "have" to live in the village. Those with means can stay wherever they want.

Correct. You won't ever see the likes of Roger Federer or Novak Djokovic slumming it in the Olympic village.
I'm a strong believer that certain sports shouldn't be in the olympics. Golf is one of em. Adam Scott clearly doesn't care about a gold medal, he wants majors. Ask Andy Murray what his gold medal now means to him. Probably meant loads until he went on to win Wimbledon the following year. Now, I bet he doesn't even know where his gold medal is LOL.
The only golfers that probably genuinely care about winning gold are those that aren't ever gonna win a major.

Correct. You won't ever see the likes of Roger Federer or Novak Djokovic slumming it in the Olympic village.
I'm a strong believer that certain sports shouldn't be in the olympics. Golf is one of em. Adam Scott clearly doesn't care about a gold medal, he wants majors. Ask Andy Murray what his gold medal now means to him. Probably meant loads until he went on to win Wimbledon the following year. Now, I bet he doesn't even know where his gold medal is LOL.
The only golfers that probably genuinely care about winning gold are those that aren't ever gonna win a major.

Why does the Ryder Cup matter then?

Objectively, I agree. If it's good enough for an Olympian, it's good enough for a tour player.

But I'm neither of those things. I think that the Olympics is part of the culture of certain sports, including sports with high-paying professional elements, like soccer, tennis, and hockey, but not others, notably golf, cricket, and rugby league (yes, I know, sevens will be in the Olympics this year), especially given that those sports already have top-tier international competition with a lot of tradition behind it. I'm not judging the rightness or wrongness of the cultures of those sports, I'm just saying from my view they exist and that when/if these sports become Olympic events that they will have to successfully integrate the Olympics into that culture, and not everyone is going to agree with it.

Do you believe that Michael Phelps (a highly decorated Olympian) would be more accepting of the Olympic living conditions than let's say David Hearn from Canada?

I wonder if Adam Scott would have been as inclined to drop out had the Olympic stage been more of a team design.
I thought it should have been a team event the whole time. Maybe even mixed teams (how cool would that be)?

I thought it should have been a team event the whole time. Maybe even mixed teams (how cool would that be)?

I like the idea of a team event... Even if it means four players from the top whatever countries. That said, I can't imagine that is an easy design to construct, nor do I think it would be easy to define which countries could participate.

But, I do think it would be viewed much less about winning golf for yourself, and much more about winning gold for your country if there's a group behind the win.

Why does the Ryder Cup matter then?

Not sure how you equate the Ryder Cup to the Olympics mate? Enlighten me.

Not sure how you equate the Ryder Cup to the Olympics mate? Enlighten me.

An exhibition where a golfer is representing their country or region that is not a major (which was listed as what matters most). Why is the Ryder Cup important and the Olympics wouldnt be? Both exhibitions, both about patriotism.

If anyone is a fan of the comic Brad Williams he tells a story about how he brought a 2nd phone (old broken Iphone) in case he got mugged on advice he received from others visiting. Worked out because he got mugged, and remembered to reach into the pocket with the fake phone instead of his regular phone.

Would love to go to the World Cup, but honestly I will wait until they have it somewhere you don't have to assume you will be robbed. (so not going to Russia in 2018... and I think I will skip Qatar too....)

There really isn't much of an upside, for the golfers at least. "You mean I can stop making hundreds of thousands of dollars to go live in a dorm to play in a tournament where I'll make zero dollars, possibly catch a flesh eating virus, AND probably be murdered while exhausting myself before several other important tournaments? Sign me up!"
Funny part is almost everyone who was an athlete says the Olympic village and dorms for athletes only was the best part.

Funny part is almost everyone who was an athlete says the Olympic village and dorms for athletes only was the best part.

That is not surprising. Just google Olympic Village. Great stories.

As someone who has spent a lot of time in both Rio and Sao Paulo in the last 5 years, it is no more dangerous than any other big City anywhere in the World or the U.S. If you go to the wrong places and act like a tourist you will have problems. If you get drunk and go wandering around you will have problems. I am in Miami now and I bet if I went to the wrong part of town I could easily get mugged.

Now the ZIKA has made things more dangerous for some people of course, but as it was said these are rich people that will be taken care of in high style. I doubt a mosquito will get anywhere near them and they still use the real deal bug killer stuff down there, it is probably more dangerous than the bugs. It is the same everywhere, if you have money and are smart about it you will not have any problems.

Brazil is really a beautiful Country with great people, the Government is what has screwed it up and no I would not go to the Games due to the lack of Hotels and the Crowds not for fear of getting mugged or sick. But that being said I would not swim in that water either, I have been right where a lot of the water events will be held and it is a Septic tank. Scott has to live with his choices and deal with the fallout.

Adam Scott Says No To Olympics

An exhibition where a golfer is representing their country or region that is not a major (which was listed as what matters most). Why is the Ryder Cup important and the Olympics wouldnt be? Both exhibitions, both about patriotism.

I seem to remember Rory getting a whole load of stick no so long ago for calling the Ryder Cup an exhibition LOL.
The Olympics are important, but I just don't think they are to a lot of golfers. I would bet there aren't too many teeing it up every week with an eye on qualifying for the olympics. There will be for the Ryder Cup, certainly on the European side.
I can't help but think golf will be a bit of side show at the Olympics. I've always been of the belief that the Olympics should be reserved for sports where the event is the pinnacle of their sport. Others of course feel different, that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
I would love to represent my country, but I wouldn't look down on anybody who wanted to skip what is looking to be a mess of a host country.

The chance to rep your country and possibly be called an olympic medalist is huge. The opportunity is only every 4 years.

But the sh!t show that is the olympics in brazil what with zika and the water issues I don't blame the top guys skipping out with what the schedule is these days.

I would ask them both if they rate the presidents cup higher than the olympics though

Really wish all Olympic sports went back to amateur only. I can't help but think Scott is not the only star that will decide to sit these out with the compressed schedule of this summer.

I'm an Aussie, not fussed that he declined to take part. To be honest I can see how for many golfers an Olympic medal just doesnt rate compared to other tour event wins for them. I think potentially too its a business decision with no financial winnings for taking part compared to playing anywhere else that week for cash. Fair enough.

I think its better he dropped out rather than show up and not care. Get someone in there who wants to be there and wants to win a gold medal!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

If it was purely business I imagine he would go. Imagine all the eyeballs in the world watching golf for the first time and someone wins a medal that will probably equal millions in worldwide sponsorship.

Mistake No.1 is allowing professionals in the Olympics in the first place........

Back