Hard work, proper practice and discipline

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
These are the keys to good golf. There is no other way to say it. There is no magic pill that will make you better. No amount of new clubs will make you better. Only hard work will make you better.

So I guess all that's left is to figure how good you want to be. Because if you armed putting in the work, I promise you are not progressing as a golfer. It won't happen over night but if you work hard and work right, you will get better.

Online lessons will only take you so far. One on one is the best way in most instances. But if that isn't in the cards then online, specifically THP, is the way go. I'm only stating the obvious but I think it needs to said. I've seen a couple of real transformation recently that brought this about.

Stop hoping the next swing will be right and do work to insure it is.

Truth!!!

55744109.jpg

Agree with all of your points. One of our Sr VPs is fond of saying, "Hope is not a strategy."

Agree with all of this and this is pretty much the path I have been taking as of late!

Yes, sir Panda speaks the truth!

Well said.

Freddie, one thing I struggle with is proper practice. I learned last season I improved by not just going to the range and beat balls and put in a lot of time practicing short game and putting, but is there anything else you can suggest on how to engage in effective practice?

True that! Great words of wisdom from Captain Freddie!

Said in my best infomercial voice. " But wait there's more. Our magic golf pill will not only make you better at golf, but it will make you more popular with the girls, and get you a raise from your boss!" But only if you act now." Carefully swallowed and you will be amazed, and so will your friends. :)
330596729a0846147ea1ce7ffb3abe38.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yup. And staying committed to what you are taught. It's easy to fall back when it doesn't work after a couple bad range sessions. It does take time. I'm just now starting to "get" what my teacher was trying to tell me 3 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are the keys to good golf. There is no other way to say it. There is no magic pill that will make you better. No amount of new clubs will make you better. Only hard work will make you better.

So I guess all that's left is to figure how good you want to be. Because if you armed putting in the work, I promise you are not progressing as a golfer. It won't happen over night but if you work hard and work right, you will get better.

Online lessons will only take you so far. One on one is the best way in most instances. But if that isn't in the cards then online, specifically THP, is the way go. I'm only stating the obvious but I think it needs to said. I've seen a couple of real transformation recently that brought this about.

Stop hoping the next swing will be right and do work to insure it is.

.....but,.....but, I am just getting ready to spend several thousands of dollars on the latest and greatest driver, fairways, hybrids, irons, wedges and putters in order to try and buy myself a tour caliber swing without doing any work other than placing an order online.

I agree and subscribe to your philosophy to the game of golf for us amateurs and pro's alike, well stated and well said. I look forward to your further comments about this great game.

Freddie, one thing I struggle with is proper practice. I learned last season I improved by not just going to the range and beat balls and put in a lot of time practicing short game and putting, but is there anything else you can suggest on how to engage in effective practice?

First off, shirt game improvement is a fast track to better golf.

Before I moved back to floods I would hit balls for hours and call it a good night. But my misses never left. But my grooved shots did. When I started working with Brian Mogg I would take an hour to hit 30 balls. I worked on the move he taught me on each swing. Rehearsing it over and over units it became part of me.

I eliminated dumb mistakes such as alignment, stance and posture. This way I knew the move was the issue. It made correction that much easier. An hour lesson with him spent half the time on positions. If I hit my positions the ball was just an objet that got in the way of the swing. It was going where the swing placed it.

A bucket of balls with no direction or goal is poor practice. Practice perfect haas an end game and purpose.

Well said Freddie. I need to practice smarter, specifically, developing a practice routine. I may need some THP help for that and some swing issues.

It's true of course and my particular lot in golf right now shows it. In 2014 preparing for a THP event I got to single digits and played some of the best golf of my life. I had a plan, there were some lessons and I practiced. The past 16 or 18 months have been some of the most challenging of my professional life and there has not been the time to devote. Every time I think things are turning and more time can be spent, something blows up.

Im longing for the time to plan and practice again though. Gotta find a way to make some time.

JM

Freddie what I would give for some time with you. I know it almost happened twice. But I need to find a way to make it happen.

Good post.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Freddie what I would give for some time with you. I know it almost happened twice. But I need to find a way to make it happen.

Good post.

Make it happen. Freddie knows not only the swing, but how to tailor his knowledge to what you have naturally to give you the most positive effect. He cares and it is 100% evident when he talks to you on the range while helping you improve.

Yes, I am a fan. :D

JM

Make it happen. Freddie knows not only the swing, but how to tailor his knowledge to what you have naturally to give you the most positive effect. He cares and it is 100% evident when he talks to you on the range while helping you improve.

Yes, I am a fan. :D

JM
Oh no doubt. From following his tips for two years and some advice from him a year or so ago. He has as keen of eye as anyone I know and a great way to communicate it.

So much truth Freddie. It's my goal to be better at practice this year and not just "beat balls" for part of my range time. 30 balls in an hour working on the positions and move on every shot is definitely something I need to include in my practice.

Love this thread, because I love to practice and analyse my swing. In fact, I love practice more than even playing the game... Trying to get the perfect swing. I don't care about scores... Addicted to the mechanics. I put in at least 2-3 hours a day and am still not very good. I think my problem is that I keep re-inventing my swing, looking to improve things. I don't like that part of what I do. I am fairly new to this site, but I have learned a lot already here. Any suggestions here are much appreciated.

I feel like I'm getting somewhere this year. I normal have been a fan of range time. But this year I've tried to really have a focus and purpose for pounding balls. And I've spent a lot more time than in the past with the not as fun stuff....short game and putting. I still have hope that this year will be the year. However, I think I'm headed in the right direction regardless.

Edit:
Let me add the more I'm involved with THP. The more I learn what it takes to improve. Mentally, physically, better fitting equipment for my game. And still have fun doing it. I'm sure some think it's drinking the cool aide. But I've learned more about what I've done wrong for years in the past few years than anywhere else.

Last edited:
Agree. Hard work will pay off but pratice right way is the key. You also need to find your own swing that suits your style.

Great post Freddie!! There is no secret to golf, it's hard work. Finding out what you personally can do and honing it to the best of your abilities.
I'm still working on, and reaping the benefits of a tip/swing thought you posted last year (knuckles into the ground, down and through it)
Working on that I jarred a shot with a 54* wedge from 110 last year. It was a practice hole in Menominee mind you, so it didn't count, but was still a great feeling. Fast forward to this year, I have been able to hit some of the crispest irons I have ever hit in my life using this same swing thought. This past Sunday, I stuck another 54* wedge to ~18" for an easy birdie. I don't hit them all good, obviously, but I hit them much better trying to do what you said. I don't fit the conventional model with my swing by any stretch of the imagination, but your tips have still helped me a great deal.

I guess I posted all that to say keep posting your thoughts and wisdom brother! I'm listening intently.

Can you delete the "new clubs won't make you better" part so the wife doesn't see it:bulgy-eyes::D

Other than that, great post:good:

No amount of new clubs will make you better. Only hard work will make you better.

I love the post and the thought behind it, but I disagree somewhat with this part.

Back