Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind Wedges Preview

Would like to try these out, but don't like the big price tag on them. Bridgestone j15 wedges for now.

In addition to a 54˚ PM grind I would like to see a 62˚ PM grind. This would provide even gaps there for everyone.

Agree 100%. I want a 54* BADDDDDDDDDD

Put the 64 /10 in play yesterday and man it is a fun club to use, granted for me it is only for around the green and Bunker shots. But I actually hit a couple of flops when needed and it is magic out of greenside bunkers.
It took a bit of time around the practice green to get the feel down of sliding it under the ball, the margin for error for a ankle breaker is small if you are not focused. Not a club I would pull on most chips, but with the right lie (fluffy is best) or out of soft sand it is a blast.

Contemplating either taking a 64* and bending it to 62* to reduce bounce a bit, or getting a 60*. Either way, it needs to be spec'd out for me. Matte black FTW!!

I'm interested to see how versatile the 60* is for me. Before this my highest loft was a 58*. I imagine this will be great on soft pitches around the green. I just wonder how far back I can go & still use it effectively.

I'm interested to see how versatile the 60* is for me. Before this my highest loft was a 58*. I imagine this will be great on soft pitches around the green. I just wonder how far back I can go & still use it effectively.

I was the same way prior to moving to the PM grind. I've found that I have no issues with the 60 whatsoever. I generally don't take full swings with my LW but haven't found a point where this wedge is any more troublesome than my 58 before it.

I know its been discussed a bit before, just hate to read thru 10 miles of threads but how is the PM grind on full shots? I have the x forged 52,56,60 and 64. before that my eye2 copper wedges. I looked at getting the MD3 for this upcoming year in either 54/56, then 60. I read about the versatility on the PM and picked up a 64 and 60. Haven't taken the plastic off yet, would really like some affirmation that on full shots I should get the same distance I would from the MD3.

I didn't pull the trigger on the 56 yet...was wondering if this year they might come out with a 54 but it looks like " no". What are your thoughts on bending a 56 PM to 54 if gapping suggests it?

I full swing my 56* pm grind quite well. There seems to be a little extra weight there but doesn't bother me much. I like it a lot!!!!!

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

delete post--wrong thread. My bad

Last edited:
I was the same way prior to moving to the PM grind. I've found that I have no issues with the 60 whatsoever. I generally don't take full swings with my LW but haven't found a point where this wedge is any more troublesome than my 58 before it.

Thanks JonD!

That's good to hear! Now if I can just get out & practice with these!

Love the pm grind. Was a little bit between distances today but need to get over a tree. Took the 56 pm grind. Opened it up a bit to raise the loft. Full swing. High and soft. gIR.

Also ran down to a lake and got caught on the edge is a little bit of rif raf. The ball was 3/4 in the water. PM grind got me out one shoe and sock off and In the lake. Pm grind saves another stroke! My favorite club in the bag

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to hit balls today - the PM grind (64/10 bent to 62/08) that was ordered Monday had arrived!! So I took it out to the range.
No idea on full swings re:distance.
Fantastic in chips around the green! That big head gives me confidence that I won't fat a shot.
Half swings were flying 45-50 yds.
Did not get any bunker shots.
Really liking this club so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had time to try out my Callaway PM 60* wedge at the practice range today for the first time. Worked on 25-30 pitch shots. I think this will be a real weapon! When I made consistent contact, the ball groupings on the green were very tight. Just need to figure out the yardages for all of my partial shots now.

I'm completely digging my 60 PM grind that plays at 58. It's great out of the bunkers, around the green and I really like it on full shots. I get the same distance as my 58 sm5 but much better control.

Took the 64 Black Matte PM Grind to the range both days over the weekend after 1 day last week. It's an impressive club. It is more than the typical 64. Easy out of bunkers, can keep launch down off grass, can flop easy. Full shots from fairway are easy - just don't think distance -- it's a 64.

I had a couple of bunker shots yesterday that called for my 60 degree PM grind instead of my 56 degree. One was a downhill bunker lie where I needed the extra loft, and one was a short sided shot where I was about a foot and a half from a vertical lip where I had to get the ball up in a hurry and stop it quick, maybe 5 yards total to the pin. Both times I got the ball out easily. Had the first one not hit the fringe, it likely would have stopped faster. The second shot had enough spin to one hop and stop for a tap in par. This club, with some tips from Roger f-ing Cleveland, just works.

Bagged the 56* and 60* last week and just got 2 rounds in. Bunker shots: automatic. Soft flops: automatic. Bump & Runs: I wasn't expecting them to be so good, but also automatic. These are by far the best wedges I've played and I've played or demo'ed most wedges at some point. I didn't feel that there was as much of a learning curve as most people expressed, but wedge play has always been one of my strongest suits, so perhaps that may have something to do with it. They feel very crisp off the face, and I'm starting to get accustomed to the distance control. I've noticed that I hit these further than my previous wedges on full and half swings. Yesterday I put three 85 yard shots to the back of the green or over, despite my old distance being about 90 yards with a 56*. Spin is decent, but I'm considering throwing a Spinner in at some point just to help out a bit on flop shots. Haven't come to a full conclusion on that one, because a medium pitch will occasionally roll out more than expected, but a full swing will actually spin back 5 feet or more. However, I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for new wedges as I tested them against any OEM's offerings and these won out. (With Mizuno in 2nd, and the Sm6 tied with the Taylormade EF for 3rd, in case anyone wanted that opinion haha)

I used the 58 at hammock beach to make some impressive up and downs. Love this club. So easy out of bunkers

Most people I've talked to who have this like it, and I like the short game.....and I've been debating a new wedge. I'm going to have to break down and try one of these out.

~Rock

This wedge out of the bunker is so easy even for me. I should stop avoiding and just get the 56 too.

Most people I've talked to who have this like it, and I like the short game.....and I've been debating a new wedge. I'm going to have to break down and try one of these out.

~Rock

Unless the look puts you off, I recommend everyone at least give this one a try. Other than me getting in the way of it doing it's job, this is one of the best wedges I've used around the greens hands down.

With all the awesome feedback on this wedge, I'm more than excited to put my 58* in play tomorrow. I went with a custom config: black shaft, acid green UTx grip. Oh and DiscountDansGolf is hard to beat! I'm thankful to the THPers who have recommended ordering through DDG.

The 60* is working well for me out of thin/hard sand bunkers. I like the low bounce and that its moved back on the sole. Its exactly what I was hoping for.

The 60* is working well for me out of thin/hard sand bunkers. I like the low bounce and that its moved back on the sole. Its exactly what I was hoping for.

I hate sand. I put the 60 degree in play a couple of weeks ago and I love it. So far I have been able to get out of the trap every time. Even holed out once. I no longer hate the sand.

These wedges are ridiculous. I'm amazed at the ease of some high soft shots I have with these. They are certainly staying in the bag for a while.

I have a 62*. Ridiculously easy for flop shots. Great greenside spin. Still working on bunkers, but I had three sand saves in the same nine hole stretch, which is something because I am not too good out of bunkers.

Back