Met an awesome individual on the course today

I like that a lot. Wife and I joked about coaching her girls team with Calvin as a mascot hahaha

Yep, and no family time will be sacrificed.

Doesn't have to be one way or the other, IMO.

I'm thinking this is the main reason why golf is struggling.Not monetary/class reasons like I read about.Lack of time is ruining golf.This Wednesday I'm playing a course that is $200 greens fees.You figure the average round is five hours,so $40 an hour to have some fun isn't bad at all.Glad i waited in life when I was ready to devote myself to this game.If I was short on time i wouldn't even bother

I wish I could be a range rat type of guy, but I hate the driving range.

Orange Whip. I take 15 swings with it then head to the first tee.

Chip, Where are you playing tues?

The Family/Golf balance aspect of this thread is very interesting to me. That is something that is so intricate and personal. Only you (golfer) and your partner know what the correct balance is. I can tell you as my wife and I have surrounded our selves with 1, 2, 3, and now 4 children it had taken much more effort on my part to create time for golf. The one thing I do as often as possible is play the first tee time a course offers. That way I can do my driving and play the first couple homes while my family sleeps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking this is the main reason why golf is struggling.Not monetary/class reasons like I read about.Lack of time is ruining golf.This Wednesday I'm playing a course that is $200 greens fees.You figure the average round is five hours,so $40 an hour to have some fun isn't bad at all.Glad i waited in life when I was ready to devote myself to this game.If I was short on time i wouldn't even bother

I would certainly hope a 200/round course wouldn't allow for 5 hour rounds. Also, there's nothing wrong with playing 9 holes.

Chip, Where are you playing tues?

The Family/Golf balance aspect of this thread is very interesting to me. That is something that is so intricate and personal. Only you (golfer) and your partner know what the correct balance is. I can tell you as my wife and I have surrounded our selves with 1, 2, 3, and now 4 children it had taken much more effort on my part to create time for golf. The one thing I do as often as possible is play the first tee time a course offers. That way I can do my driving and play the first couple homes while my family sleeps.

Playing my first big time course Butler National.We got a group deal going with a few members.Normally $325 so $200 is reasonable.Should be a fun five / six hours or so.Really looking forward to it.Have the whole day to hit it around

Playing my first big time course Butler National.We got a group deal going with a few members.Normally $325 so $200 is reasonable.Should be a fun five / six hours or so.Really looking forward to it.Have the whole day to hit it around
That course could hold the US Open with only 1 weeks notice and still be a worthy US Open event scores wise. Minus the mens only membership part. Should be a good challenge.

As for the hole family thing, I am way to selfish to ever want kids. Just not my thing.

Would you begrudge a man who meditated 2-3x a week for an hour each session? Occasionally, or even regularly paying for guidance in his meditation?

That's how I think of the guy. In fact, a few years ago, my life (no kids, just work BS) didn't align with weekend playing times, but those few hours I got to work on my swing was truly that for me, meditation. I could, for a moment, shutter the windows against the storm and just be present. Me. My swing. Golf ball.

I'll take that zen any day.

I spend a great deal of time with both kids. When they were babies, I played a ton of golf. As they got golden I am involved as a coach for my sons soccer team and basketball teams. My daughter is in dance and my wife handles that. I play golf when I want and as much as I want. I know when I need to be home and I know when I need to back off the golf. It's a balance that some can handle like champs.

I just think if your not playing actual golf.Than spending money to get better is futile.He was also spending an outrageous amount on lessons.Again hitting range balls and just building a golf swing look isn't real golf to me.I think you either practice or play practice to shoot lower scores.I thought his story was awesome,but i wouldn't spend the funds on lessons like he does
So what is your issue? The fact that he takes lessons but rarely plays? Or people not speeding time with their families in place of golf?

I understand it's his choice on how to enjoy this great game;However, I Found it rather different that someone would take lessons without really playing score golf.He has been doing this for several seasons.

That is awesome, I would pay $200 in a hot second to get on Butler! (And I'm really cheep, ask Adamw238 ). Have fun and enjoy your day!

I am not a range guy either and certainly could not see my sell shelling out a bunch of money for lessons to improve myself on the range. Also in the camp that it is not necessary to be home 100% of the time when the kids are home to be a good father. Quality over quantity.

I understand it's his choice on how to enjoy this great game;However, I Found it rather different that someone would take lessons without really playing score golf.He has been doing this for several seasons.
I guess I just don't see the disconnect. He is staying close to the game and getting his golf fix. He is staying sharp for that day he can commit to playing more than he is now.

Work/Life balance. It's different for each individual/family. Our experiences don't translate easily to others situations and vice versa. We only catch a glimpse of others lives (what they choose to show us).

Work/Life balance. It's different for each individual/family. Our experiences don't translate easily to others situations and vice versa. We only catch a glimpse of others lives (what they choose to show us).

And how. What I feel I need to do for my kids isn't what someone else would choose. I already said no to 2 scrambles/tournaments later this year because my daughter will have competitions on those dates. I go to every one and would never dream of missing one just to go play a round of golf. I have a buddy who has missed his kids marching in parades, school concerts, and baseball playoff games because he was out golfing. I wouldn't ever do that, but it's not my place to say he was in the wrong or a bad father for making that choice.

I have a 4 year old and 2 year old. It is a balance for me, but thankfully one I can find. I'm in a work golf league that starts early and ends about the same time work would, so I get to golf at least 9 holes during the week. On the weekend, if I get the first round out in the morning, I'm back right around the time everyone is getting up for breakfast (they like to sleep in a little). Often I just get home and start making breakfast right as they're getting up. So, right now I can play golf and spend time with the family without having to pick and choose. My oldest wants to go to the driving range, so I'll take him today when the youngest is napping. I love spending time with my family, and if I had to choose over golf I would. I've just been fortunate enough so far that I can still do both with minor sacrifices on my part. (I used to enjoy sleeping in on the weekends, but I'll get up at 6am to play golf over sleeping in any day.)

I didn't even pick up a club for 12 years when we raised our kids.Im thinking this guy is doing all he can to stay in touch with the game.But also stay close to his family as well.Some people can only spend time with the families on the weekends as both parents work ..etc etc.The four to five hour weekend rounds is a lot to give up in my opinion.I kinda respected this guy making due with what he has available to him

I certainly couldn't take lessons just to improve my swing for the range but I respect his dedication.

When my kid were heavily involved in sports I didn't play more than a couple rounds each year on the weekends. Luckily my job allowed me to still get 30 rounds a year in during the week. Part of that was the timing of the sports they chose, which ran from March through about November. Until this year, I never played more than 1 or 2 rounds of between November and March because we skied as a family every weekend we could. When you have 3 kids playing multiple sports that mostly fall on weekends it didn't feel right taking 4 hours out of the day for golf, especially when my wife traveled for work a lot. The swim meets that we did for several years started at 6:30 on Saturday mornings and got done around 3:00. August through November we had 3 kids playing soccer and all the games were on Saturday and Sunday. Many of my buddies were still able to get weekend rounds in while raising multiple kids but they didn't have wives who traveled for work 100+ days each year.

Now that all the weekend kids stuff is over I'm glad I gave up the weekend golf for a decade or so. They grow up fast and I'm glad I took the time to coach a couple sports and hopefully can be some type of assistant coach for golf when my youngest is in high school. My son is off to college 2000 miles away in September and I'm now frantically trying to teach him some practical skills that I feel like he might need. I'm forcing him to learn things like polishing and waxing a car, changing brake pads, painting, sharpening a lawn mower blade, etc.

Last edited:
Welcome to my life. I'd like to play more than once a week, but work and family won't allow it. I make up for it with range work and trying to have good swing fundamentals.

Like I always say, I'd rather suck at golf than suck at life.

I don't think you need to sacrifice one for the other. That's just me though. I think we all need our time to get away and do something we love. I golf as much as I can and never feel like I am neglecting my family at all.

I don't get why taking lessons and only practicing is a bad thing. Clearly this guy has set his priorities as he sees fit and the range allows him to stay connected to the game while taking lessons allows him to improve his swing.

Ever think he's taking lessons and practicing because 1. He enjoys it & 2. When he does play on the course he doesn't want to hold up the group he's paired with?

The beauty of this game is that we all can find a way to enjoy it and still lead productive family lives at home. Some chose to incorporate the two, others will say "golf is my time". No right or wrong answer IMO. You can find balance between the two if you want to.

I am retired. Didn't start playing golf until kids were grown and gone. Was a coach, umpire and scoutmaster when kids were young. I usually play once a week with my son. I try to get to the range 2-3 times a week. I will get a lesson when my swing gets terrible. I tend to sh@#k short irons periodically. My course has an annual range membership. I like to go to the range, for exercise and fresh air even if I am hitting it well (for me). I try different shots with different clubs. I enjoy the comaradarie of the range. If I could afford to play more, I would. But we have a nice wide grass range, and it is only $23/mo with membership. So, I can drive the 5 miles, hit a few buckets, come home and hit the hot tub. I lost 18 lbs the first year I joined the range. So maybe just exercise and a few lessons so you are doing it properly is enough for some people.

Anybody with kids knows that it is always a balancing act. I play mostly shorter 9 holers partially due to time constraints but I also just don't have the game for a full 18 hole course. When I go to the range the kids are with me about half the time. They have fun and aren't quite ready for course play (9 & 4). If this guy is happy with what he is doing, awesome. I know fathers and mothers that do nothing but kid, kid, kid, kid, kid, and do nothing but complain about how busy and boring their lives are. You will be a better parent if you take a little time for yourself and your relationship.

Last edited:
I spend a great deal of time with both kids. When they were babies, I played a ton of golf. As they got golden I am involved as a coach for my sons soccer team and basketball teams. My daughter is in dance and my wife handles that. I play golf when I want and as much as I want. I know when I need to be home and I know when I need to back off the golf. It's a balance that some can handle like champs.

This pretty much sums it up for me.
Played a lot when my son was a baby. Now he is 7 and I do the coaching thing also. I play now whenever I want (not often, but when I want). The family time is every day not only weekends hence why the balance is so good.

Honestly I don't see why you couldn't just play a round and try out some new clubs and work on your swing without tracking your score. I've done range time and I've had and unofficial "coach" but I learned way better just playing through 18. But I guess that's more of a personal choice.

Back