The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am about a week into my new swing using my drive for dough swing style/video. It has made hitting the center of the driver super easy compared to the more vertical swing I was using before. The video is a good fit for me and how I like to learn.
You are an accomplished golfer.For me,I need and still need constant supervision.Im positive i couldn't get the level of quality i was seeking from a video.Someone to literally hold my hand was a good fit

Range session this morning coach took a quick look and things are looking good just two things to work on I'm still sliding to the target a bit with the left hip and I'm opening my left shoulder up a tad creating a two way miss. So I worked on getting my left hip getting behind me more w/less slide and keep my left shoulder parallel to the target line. Saw much better distance and a more penetrating ball flight no change in heigh but it looked to be a couple degrees lower on the LA.

Was hitting driver well and seen some distance gains as well.

I love Panda's burry the left knuckles into the turf thought and to let the release take care of itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My iron striking has flipped a switch and now it's so good at the moment. Decided to take the old 1970's Lee Trevino blades to the driving range today and was flushing them. Not easy to hit those well and in the air, and all but one were seemingly hit very well. Excited to play tomorrow and see what I can do.

Spent a productive couple of hours at the range today, since I wasn't playing. My irons have not been sharp, so, I succumbed and bought a Tour Striker 7 iron about a week ago. I've always been a "sweeper" of the ball with shallow, if any, divots. I decided that I should try to get a little more compression at impact. My first session with it was frustrating, to put it mildly. Everything I tried to hit squirted low left, and barely got off the ground. I will say that, when I finally gave up on it that session, I was really killing my regular 7 iron, and other irons, for the rest of the session. Well, today, I gave it another whirl, and to my surprise, from the first swing with the "striker", I was hitting it really straight and crisp. I had to look to see if I hadn't grabbed my Callaway 7 iron by mistake. LOL. The rest of the session was pretty good, so, I'm optimistic that I'll regain some confidence with my irons if I keep at it. (Still think I'll trade up to a new set of XR's, however). :angel:

Had an awesome lesson today. Iron striking was great. Two issues were that I was too out to in (which I knew), and that my extension was poor (sorta knew, but big time confirmed).

He said my spine angle was good, and I kept decent form otherwise. We made a couple adjustments to setup (ball slightly forward of center, hands ahead of ball and pointing to left hip, strong grip), and my cut went to a draw. So, so excited. Not fully extending yet but a difference right away.

Struggled with his short game adjustments, but left with two drills for practice.

Now practice, practice, practice!

I got a bunch of work to do on the range, yesterday's round wasn't very good. I struggled off the tee, and my wedge play was horrific. Which was disappointing because I've been working extremely hard on it.

The greens were very very slow and bumpy. So I can't really speak to my putting effort. Stroke felt pretty good though.

Had a couple of range sessions this week and it was night and day, really struggled with my grip and takeaway which was impacting my downswing with woods and irons. Spent time working on it Friday and and I was pretty happy with the results.

Spent time just putting no specific drills either just rolling putts feeling the stroke and working on pace which was looking good as well.

Spent some time working on wedge shots from 100 in which is the biggest part of my short game that I can improve and I was pretty happy with the results, hitting greens need to work on getting it close but not a lot of chunks or thin shots which is HUGE.

Looking forward to seeing if the practice translates to my round today.

I finally had some free time, so went to the range for an extended session. After a round last week where the wheels came hurtling off on the back nine, I wanted to work on my lower body action and swing plane. Lower body action worked well and I just focused on rotating my hips to the right, which led to a return of power and zip to my shots. Next was my swing plane, as I feel like I have to be going over the top because my ball flight is either straight or left to right and bad misses were pulls. I'm struggling with taking the club to the inside too soon on the backswing, but I was much straighter when I stopped thinking about it altogether. Then I started thinking if Trevino can play with a cut, maybe I should stop fighting it and just embrace it. While this seemed to be an issue more with my 3W and driver, irons were straight, so next session will focus on the driver swing.

I also worked on shortening my backswing, which helped tremendously, but is gonna take some time to groove with the driver, as my driver swing has been too long for the last month.

I put in some short game practice as well and chipping and bump/runs are getting fairly automatic. This excites me, as it's much more risk averse than the flop/pitches I had been playing. The flop/pitch worked well for me, but when it didn't, I'd blast the ball 80 yards past the green and scores would pile up. I think the bump/run will reduce the stroke pile up on mis hits near the green. I want to get to a point where I'm bump/running most everything except when I absolutely positively have to hit the flop.

It was a productive practice session.

An afternoon range session pretty well reflected that my swing is off. Most of the time I hit it straight but a solid club short of normal (don't know what I'm doing wrong). Other times I'm obviously cutting across the ball and getting weak fades/slices. I am a bit frustrated at the state of affairs and a bit disappointed to be heading to Hogan like this.

On the flip side I spent some time on the chipping range. That was very productive/good.

Last edited:
Hit a large and medium bucket today. The large bucket was used to work on tempo with irons and driver wedge work to targets. Worked on a few flighted shots to help with tempo. When tempo was good my contact was really solid and ball started on the line I chose. Could tell right away when tempo was to quick. The last half of the bucket went really well and I felt confident about my swing with all clubs for the first time this year.

the medium bucket was to hit flighted/knock down shots with pw to 100 yd sign, 7i to 150 yd sign and then added 8i and was trying to hit the ball to 140yds. Had to estimate this and used the 150 up yd sign and see where it landed. I had pretty good success and learned that I need to remember to stay down on the shot. The pw was landing within 2-3 yds of the target on every shot. 7i was similar but I was getting a little quick and coming out of the shot which led to chunks and some thins. 8i was similar to the 7i

After volunteering for most of the day got to the range for a good long session.

Continuing to work on the changes my instructor and I have been focusing on, I also worked on my tempo trying to slow it down just a tad. Hit a few different iron, then moved to my 3 hybrid and finished with driver. I am really liking the XR OS hybrid and finding extremely easy to hit. Started out a little quick with driver, but it got a lot better towards the end.

Afterwards I spent about 30 minutes in the short game area working on my chipping to.a couple of different length pins.

Worked on the weight shift drill Freddie gave me!

Went to Balmoral Woods to play and practice.Their fairways are like hitting off of a putting green. My draw off of the fairway kinda turned into a slight bigger hook.And my buddies weaker cut slice turned into a bigger slice.Seemed like the tight fairways caused a bigger curve.Is this possible?can a tigher cut fairway cause the ball to curve more than a higher height fairway?

Went out to the local course to hit a few 7i shots to work what I learned yesterday. A few fat, but the others looked good. Walked one off ... 160 yards. LOL. All from one lesson? Pinch me ... hope it lasts.

An afternoon range session pretty well reflected that my swing is off. Most of the time I hit it straight but a solid club short of normal (don't know what I'm doing wrong). Other times I'm obviously cutting across the ball and getting weak fades/slices. I am a bit frustrated at the state of affairs and a bit disappointed to be heading to Hogan like this.

On the flip side I spent some time on the chipping range. That was very productive/good.

Are you hitting the center of the club face and still losing a club of distance? Awesome that your short game is doing well and getting better, a good short game will make up for any full swing woes.

Got a large bucket in today. The first 15 minutes or so was frustrating, as there were a couple of tween boys near me making a bunch of noise and spraying balls all over. None hit me, but a few were a little closer than I would have liked. I don't like to get all "get off my lawn", but that kind of stuff annoys me. Guess I should just get over it, though. Once I shut them out and focused in, I hit the ball pretty well. I was mostly working on hitting targets with my stock draw. Worked my way back and forth through the bag. Really smoked my woods, especially my 3 wood. Spent the final 20 minutes working on some shorter stuff to cool down.

Went to Balmoral Woods to play and practice.Their fairways are like hitting off of a putting green. My draw off of the fairway kinda turned into a slight bigger hook.And my buddies weaker cut slice turned into a bigger slice.Seemed like the tight fairways caused a bigger curve.Is this possible?can a tigher cut fairway cause the ball to curve more than a higher height fairway?
Yes it can. If there is no grass between the club and ball it will curve more. So a tight fairway can make it curve compared to one that isn't cut close and has grass between the club and ball even in the fairway.

Yes it can. If there is no grass between the club and ball it will curve more. So a tight fairway can make it curve compared to one that isn't cut close and has grass between the club and ball even in the fairway.
What do you do to compensate for this? Do I just play for a bigger draw hook? Or maybe move the ball up more in the stance?

Has to be a swing issue as much as anything. As long as the path to face is fairly close there is no issues. Only correction I make is to realize the ball is going to spin a lot on the green. You could try and hit a 3/4 shot since club speed relates to spin.

Are you hitting the center of the club face and still losing a club of distance? Awesome that your short game is doing well and getting better, a good short game will make up for any full swing woes.
It does not feel like it. I'm not sure, I think maybe low on the grooves?

I went to the range over lunch today and worked on alignment. My last time out I realized my shoulders and feet were way out of alignment so that will be a continued focus for me. I think I made some good progress, just have to keep it up.

My main driving range is now on grass!!!! Time to get some real practice in now!

Had an ok range session today. Hit a number of good shots, but also hit a lot of fat shots. Tried my hybrids for the first time since my lesson and while a few went well, also hit a number of fat shots and duck hooks. Sent my instructor a text and he said that duck hooks with the hybrids was possible since most of them tend to give you a draw bias to begin with, but that my issue with the fat and duck hooks is a result of letting the club head get ahead of my hands. On Saturday he had given me a drill to teach me how to feel pulling my hands through the impact zone ahead of the ball ... essentially I place the club head, face down on the ground behind my right foot and then drag it through the impact zone. When it "reaches the ball" I pull it upward and finish high. He said that dragging will help me feel what its like to keep those hands forward. So ... will work on that over the next few days. Took some photos and it does look like my extension is better, so there is that. Got to tell myself this won't all come to me overnight, I need to keep at it!

I figured that since I've been working hard on moving, I'd reward myself with some range time. The first segment was hitting my 8 iron, and trying to hit high draws, low draws, high fades and low fades. Ive discovered that its easier for me to alter my swing path with a slight change in where my weight is centered under my feet. Weight toward my toes some brings an outside path and a fade, while weight back toward my heels a smidge gets me inside the line for draws. I was randomly switching between the shots, never taking more than a few cuts at a particular shot before switching. I hit a few stinkers but I had decent control by the end.

If 90% hosel rockets are good for practice then I had a great session tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back