Shaft Tech - Carbon Fiber Properties

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Very interesting information about varying temps or cook time. These are great videos with good info in a quick hit.

I had no idea there was so much involved with Carbon Fiber, this is such a great series.

Well, I learned more on these last two segments of carbon fiber than I have ever known. I used to buy the fact that there are different quality carbon fibers that are distinguished by price. "BS". Great series!!!!

• Admin
Well, I learned more on these last two segments of carbon fiber than I have ever known. I used to buy the fact that there are different quality carbon fibers that are distinguished by price. "BS". Great series!!!!

The goal here is to make the understanding and education simple and easy and guarantee that golfers are smarter consumers when the series is completed than before.

Well that was great and ive learned something i didnt know about carbon fibre. I didnt realize that there was so much involved in different strengths and stiffness properties. Also the temp and cooking period the affects it has on the carbon fibre.

Another great segment. I didn't realize that the a more stiff shaft would also be more brittle, but it makes sense.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Another very interesting episode in this series. Really enjoying learning more details about the make up of shafts.

Never thought about how cook time and temperature affected the properties of how a shaft performs and its strength. Great video.

Just crazy to hear what goes into the materials and creating of a graphite shaft. Never understood the complexity (and still don't entirely) but it's just crazy what I take for granted.

Learning what the shaft properties mean is a real eye opener!!

Interesting that less stiffness = stronger and more stiffness = more brittle. It actually makes sense to me now but I would have thought stiffer was stronger before learning this for some reason.

Interesting that less stiffness = stronger and more stiffness = more brittle. It actually makes sense to me now but I would have thought stiffer was stronger before learning this for some reason.

I thought the same way. I'd guess because I assume the same thing about steel shafts, which these of course are not. Fascinating info.

Toys was me as well. It's gotta be an interesting design conundrum for companies, how to make lighter and stiffer shafts that can stand up to aggressive swings but not be brittle. First few batches rogue shafts come to mind

Glad you guys are enjoying them so far.

It was interesting to see them label utra-high MSI as the 65-78 when some shafts are advertised as 110 msi, 125 msi, etc.

You guys that enjoyed this one are going to love the next few.

I'm a polymers guy who's spent seven years working for an early-stage company that developed carbon fiber reinforced ceramics. You're doing a great job explaining this stuff!

I'm a polymers guy who's spent seven years working for an early-stage company that developed carbon fiber reinforced ceramics. You're doing a great job explaining this stuff!

Thanks. Although to be fair, that is Tom and he is a pretty brilliant shaft guy with Matrix (formerly TaylorMade)

Thanks. Although to be fair, that is Tom and he is a pretty brilliant shaft guy with Matrix (formerly TaylorMade)

No argument about Tom, but also to be fair, it takes talent to:

1) know what you don't know
2) know who does knows what you don't know and
3) can explain it in simple, understandable terms in two minutes max

Next episode coming up tonight.

Back