Would you play for money against a "kid"?

I wouldn't do it. Mind you I'm not big on gambling anyway.

As much as I like to play for small stakes, I would hesitate to play against anyone under 18. There are too many potential repercussions for the adult these days in such a game.

In any case, we wouldn't be doing it unless you gave me nearly a stroke a hole. :eyepoke:

I don't play with any teenagers but if I did I don't think I would have a problem with letting them in the money game.

We use to have a kid at the course I worked at that sounds a lot like you. He had some game, though he wasn't always that consistent with it. He could shoot a 72 one day and a 92 the next day. He had a chip on his shoulder about his golf game. I never played him for money because I this. I knew he didn't have a job, he was at the course as much as I was. We'd play for a pop at most, it wasn't HIS money to loose. I have not problem playing for something/money or pride, but when I know it's cash from your (his) parents pocket, no thanks. His parents where members there, they all played a lot. I don't think his Dad and Mom would have cared, but it wasn't something I was going to do.

No, it's likely his parents money anyway so he's got no "sweat" in it.

Maybe for a dollar and that's it , I never bet more than I want to lose and the last time I played against a 15 year (my buddy's son) old he put a whoppin' on me.

Although it was worth it to see kids that young love the game and be good at it !

Very interesting to hear everyone's responses. Not that it is relevant at all, but I will say that I work 2 part time jobs (only like 15 or so hours a week, but surprising that I have any time to golf at all haha), so any money on the table anywhere would be my own. Completely irrelevant, but noticed a couple responses about how it's most likely their parent's money, so thought I'd throw it out there haha.

I'm not fond of money games, period. I just do not understand why some must have a wager to play. The most I would even consider would be "Cokes" after the round with a youngster.

Now that the golf season is underway, I've begun to get accustomed to something I kind of forgot about during the snowy offseason. I belong to a small, relatively inexpensive country club, and naturally there are often money matches, mostly between the better golfers and the shop pros. I often played with them last year, and while my game is right up there with them, they were often tentative or did not involve me in their money matches due to my age. Obviously I don't really care, as I'm not much of a gambler, but I always found it interesting that they did not want to either give or receive money to/from me because I'm a teenager. Just curious who out here would or would not play in a money match against a "kid" even if your skill levels were pretty evenly matched.

This is an excellent thread you started.

I am honestly laughing at the majority of the responses. If these guys are playing against tournament proven Juniors and have above a 2 handicap, they really don't stand a chance of winning your money. That just isn't boy's, but even playing against the girl's they do not stand a chance of winning their money. I am not talking the typical average high school golfer because the average high school golfers are pretty bad.

If you were my kid, I would give you $100.00 for the weekend. If you happened to lose that would be OK, because you probably aren't. I would make you give me my 100 back and you could keep the rest.

As far as me, I wouldn't bet against a Junior Golfer because I know I don't stand a chance. I am not a sucker.

I used to gamble against three younger players when I was working in the business. One of them is play web.com and the other went to Florida. They had no problem collecting and/or paying out. It was never a big bet but enough to keep everyone honest. The Web.com guy beat me by 4 when he was 17. I started teaching him when he was 12.

I wouldn't play for money against a "kid" or anybody else. I only make bets I think I'll win.

When I was a teenager, my dad would occasionally get in some matches with him against other 2-somes when we had a club membership. At the local muni, the gamblers had known me all my life. Plus, my dad was part of some of their games. So, when I wanted to take part, they'd let me.

At this day & age, I probably wouldn't ask a kid if he wanted to gamble. But, if he brought it up, I'd do something to keep it interesting.

As long as they were 18 and I thought I had an edge why not.

Nope, if you are under age, I am not going to give or take your money.

It depends on how well I know the kid and his family. I am always a little leary of playing kids under the age of 18. When I was in college I was a bartender at a pool hall. A couple of kids use to come in and play in our tournaments. One day when I was working one of the kids comes in all pumped up. Running his mouth and talking about how he could beat anyone in the room. It was the middle of the afternoon and the room was dead. My boss let me off the clock to play the kid some. 2 hours later I had beaten the kid out of a decent sum. Later that evening the kids dad comes in demanding I give the money back. Turns out his dad had given him the money for something. When the kid got home his dad was livid that he lost the money. Since then I have shyed away from gambling with anyone under 18.

Never really played for money in golf, but I grew up bowling. Started bowling for money as a 15 yo kid working at the center. I probably wouldn't do it now and playing against a kid, but I made a lot of money when I was younger doing that.

My personal thought, If you have the money,I will play you for money it.

I wouldn't play a money game against a kid!

Does taking money from TexasHacker after a round count as taking $$$ from a kid? If so, then yes, I do.

No, I wouldn't play for money against someone younger than 18. I wouldn't play for money against someone I didn't know either

1) I would never propose it to a kid.

2) If a kid proposed it to me, I would not accept.

3) If a kid had enough guts to propose it to me, chances are, he'd wipe the floor with me, so I'd doubly not accept.

I might go with "loser buys the other's lunch" or something like that.

I don't usually play for money. Just not my thing. But if it was...I'd play a kid for money. If his has the skill set to bet and play why not? A kid's money spends like the rest.

I still think this whole thing has to do with respect. Perhaps I'm old fashion but a teen imo doesn't really belong putting himself at an equal level socially to these older folks. Regardless of his golf game which is just not relevant, there is simply a respectful separation imo much like parents among their own company would have. Imo getting involved in such a way would then in a way break down the respectful separation. Sounds mean but don't get me wrong, this doesn't mean the youngster is not to be treated respectfully. Its just that there needs to be imo a level of respect and a line not to be crossed socially from teens to their elders unless invited to do so. Unless the teen is one who is very personally known via family or closest friends, or has himself gotten to know the elders extremely well. A teen generally speaking (with some exceptions mentioned) is just not in general to be personally part of that group in quite the same social fashion as the older folks in that group are with each other. Again, call me old fashion but that's just life, respect goes up hill first.

I don't play money games....but if I did, I wouldn't play any kid for money....

I used to gladly take the money off my dad's friends when I was growing up

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back