Can You Gauge How Good A Player is By Their Equipment & Looks?

No blanket correlation between the equipment people use and / or the way they dress to their actual abilities.

This really makes me want to change my screen name to "Clutch McGee"

Only if I get a royalty.:act-up: We have about 30 Clutch McGees at my club and I actually enjoy playing with all of them except one, who is slower than Benard Langer on the greens. I love watching other golfers idiosyncrasies, maybe it make me feel more normal! How many did you answer with a "yes"?

I'm playing Butler National tomorrow with a $10 set Ram Accubars I got at a garage sale.Next week is Cog Hill and Olympia Fields.A few weeks after is Medinah #3. I hope they don't kick me off of those courses for being a poser

I'm playing Butler National tomorrow with a $10 set Ram Accubars I got at a garage sale.Next week is Cog Hill and Olympia Fields.A few weeks after is Medinah #3. I hope they don't kick me off of those courses for being a poser
Ummmm I think you need to bring me with ?

If I see Silver Scot irons with brand new grips, no, thank you, I would rather not "make the game a little more interesting."

I'm with most of you guys in that you can't judge a book by the cover. I've seen fantastic players with old clubs that look like they should be at a garage sale and some that have all brand new equipment. Many great players fall in love with their equipment and don't see a need to change and some are club ho's just like many of us.

Only if I get a royalty.:act-up: We have about 30 Clutch McGees at my club and I actually enjoy playing with all of them except one, who is slower than Benard Langer on the greens. I love watching other golfers idiosyncrasies, maybe it make me feel more normal! How many did you answer with a "yes"?

I'm willing to admit 3.5 points scored.

If I see Silver Scot irons with brand new grips, no, thank you, I would rather not "make the game a little more interesting."

This set of 2-SW of mine from 1982 just got new grips and I'm planning on taking them out for a few rounds in May along with a TM fairway wood from 1987 and a Big Bertha driver from 1991. I should probably throw my 1972 Ping Pal putter in the bag just for good measure. I played with them until 1999 so they give me warm fuzzies when I look down at them.

taytdback.jpg

I am a poser. No doubt.

I would worry about the guy who shows up with a set of 20 year old irons that have a dime mark on them or if the toe on his right shoe is worn down, I usually bet that guy is really good. What I will also warn against anybody who shows up with old clubs and a sleeve of balls for 18 holes, he's probably pretty good.

I am a poser. No doubt.

I would worry about the guy who shows up with a set of 20 year old irons that have a dime mark on them or if the toe on his right shoe is worn down, I usually bet that guy is really good. What I will also warn against anybody who shows up with old clubs and a sleeve of balls for 18 holes, he's probably pretty good.
Reminds me of the guys I played with on Friday - 3 of the grounds crew at my home course. I just so happened to run into them at another course. One of the guys was wearing blue jeans, work boots and had a very old set of Titelist 690 MBs from over a decade ago and a Cleveland Driver that has to be 15 years old. He totally kicked butt - I've never seen someone look that ragged and hit the ball so pure - in muddy work boots nonetheless.

I try not to judge a book by its cover, but I don't trust the guy that shows up with old clubs and a good swing. Last week I played with a guy who was wearing jeans on a pretty warm day (dress code allowed for it), t-shirt, and carrying a single strap leather bag that looked to be 20+ years and clubs to match. He had a good swing and hit the first one down the middle. I was thinking this dude's about to shoot 68. Didn't shoot 68 but played well and shot in the mid 80s.

I rather just wait for that first swing and leave nothing to chance.

The best golfer that I have ever played with had some old Nickent irons and a Ping putter than looked like a shark chewed on for it. I personally see him shoot a 67 like it was nothing. Said he hit it pretty good after the round.

His swing look fluid and his putting stance was incredibly wild. He was WIDE open... left foot was pointed towards the hole, yes, that wide open. I do not think he missed a putt inside of 12 feet.

Carry 3-PW and a 56* wedge and used that 56* for just about every shot you can think of.

I am a poser. No doubt.

I'm with you there dude. On both of those. I'm a huge poser and could careless what others thought. Also just recently played 9 holes with the guy that wins just about every amateur tournament every year in my area. Had old Titleist CBS with a rust spot the size of a ball right in the middle of the face. 910 driver and old rusty Cleveland wedges and a really old odyssey putter. But the dude could play.

I guess all of the pros at my course are posers.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I would worry about the guy who shows up with a set of 20 year old irons that have a dime mark on them

I'd be more worried about a guy who has newer irons with a dime sized wear mark on them. The guy with the 20 year old irons that way could have just easily been good 20 years ago and never got new stuff. In order to get a wear mark on new irons you've got to put some serious time in with them in a more recent time frame.

I'd be more worried about a guy who has newer irons with a dime sized wear mark on them. The guy with the 20 year old irons that way could have just easily been good 20 years ago and never got new stuff. In order to get a wear mark on new irons you've got to put some serious time in with them in a more recent time frame.
Let's just agree, anybody with a dime sized spot on their irons are probably pretty good.

Let's just agree, anybody with a dime sized spot on their irons are probably pretty good.

agreed, probably a pretty solid assumption.

Looks and type of clubs doesn't matter. Nor do clothes, shoes or hats/Visors. Look at the clubface. If they look like like this get ready you're going to have a match on your hands.

b85da9c474b239d96d7b700073103ac9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My posing is weak, I only scored 1 (#20).

Nope you can't. This year we had a middle age lady join our 3some at Pauite(sun). She played from the whites(men's). She was on vacation she was borrowing someone clubs from there attic. She had a BB from 5 years ago, a 7h or something like that and 6 irons from 5 different brands and Scotty putter. She shot a 78 with a 37 back 9. Then there a guy I see once in awhile with a full set of Miura and shoot in the 90's.

Pga pro Kyle Reifers still has pings s56 with rust on them in his bag. Looking at his clubs you would think a chunker

There is a guy at our club who has a 1960's canvas bag with old Taylormade "bubble shaft" driver and 3W....old Wilson blade irons and a bullseye putter that shoots 68-70 every time he tees it up.

Back