Can You Gauge How Good A Player is By Their Equipment & Looks?

Based on what you said would intimidate you, sounds like you would have missed out on taking lots of my money lol...

Driver: Titleist, or an expensive shaft
Until this year, I gamed a 910D2

Fairway: Something old like a Taylormade V Steel, or any 13*-14* 3 wood.
Hybrid: Small and compact. Perhaps a 5 wood or a 3 iron in its place.
I game a (I have no idea how old) Snake Eyes 7 wood and I carry my 3 iron...

Irons: Musclebacks or something like a bit bigger like Mizuno Mp-64. But they can't be shiny. Things gotta look worn and beat up, but with a consistent ball mark in the center of the face.
Until December, I was gaming some heavily played 690.MBs 3-9 w/ a rusted 48* Vokey. I just updated and went with the 716 CB 3-PW.

Wedges: Old, worn, rusty Clevelands or Vokey's. Alternatively, anything with custom standings, of a newer Vokey TVD.
Until this March, you would have seen 2 black Clevelands that were rusted over despite the finish lol

Putter: A Scotty, but only an old one. Same thing with a Ping Anser. Also, any smaller name boutique brand (Toulon, Bellum Winmore, Piretti, even Bettinardi). Odyssey #9 style is also intimidating.
This is one where I strayed from the path a little in that I pulled my old SC Pro Platinum Newport 2 in favor of the Odyssey Versa #1 WBW pattern.

Bag: Small, lightweight bag. Ping hoofer, titleist lightweight, Sun mountain three 5 etc. if they're riding, it makes me less scared. If they have a cart bag, I'm not intimidated at all.

All that said, I would not consider myself a "player" and would have been an easy mark for you.

*note. Most of these bag changes were the result of the UST Mamiya Shaft Spectacular :clapp:. Sign up here http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...UST-Mamiya-amp-THP-Shaft-Spectacular-May-2016
See the live update from when I went here http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...hread-amp-Contest-UST-March-Shaft-Spectacular

I usually don't play for money but the guy that worries me is the guy with old clubs with new grips. When they are willing to put new grips on old (10 years old) clubs they are usually keeping them for a reason.

Personally don't really think there is a way to just look at someone and tell if they are a good golfer.

Totally poser here. My only goal is to get my game to the level of my clubs because then I will be really good.
Best guy I ever played with had a Cleveland hibore driver and the Tommy armour 845s. He could do whatever he wanted with the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best part of my game is gear and apparel... So I've got that going for me....

Dax

A few weeks ago we were playing on a chilly Sunday afternoon. We had a cancellation so when a guy asked our threesome if we were playing from the green tees, would we mind if he joined us. The group he was placed with were playing from the tips and he wasnt interested in that. We always play from the green tees at our home course and said sure he could join us. The guy had pulled in next to me in the parking lot in an old Chevy van. Just a blue collar looking guy, would not have been surprised if he was there to work on the plumbing or electric for the course.

He's in an no name jacket with a big tear in the side over a tshirt and blue shop pants. His generic black gym shoes were pretty much bald. Now it was upper 40's when we tee'd off. I've got my base layer on under my polo, with a wind proof jacket over that. His newest club may have been the mallet style putter but it was 10 years old I'd guess. Looked like some kind of Ping knock off. Nothing else in his bag was recognizable. Driver was maybe 400 cc's, he had a an old 3 wood, and a hybrid but nothing of any kind of name brand.

It was tough playing conditions. Cool temps,, 20 mph winds. I've got new spikes in my shoes and still slipped a few times on damp grass. Wind was swirling, changing directions all day.

This guy shoots a 74, 3 over par. He wasn't long by any means but in the fairway all day. Approach shots were never off line, I mean never more than 10 feet. And it was like there was no wind. He made flawless adjustments with wedges and his hybrid hitting greens. He made two birdies, really wasn't a great putter, but maybe that was the wind or just the chewy early season greens.

He wasn't a big guy, but had strong hands. Shaking after the round, I could tell his hands were his livelihood. Didn't really turn his shoulders much, just arms and wrists and knocked it straight all day. We lost his drive on the last hole, he hit it well but a cross wind either knocked it down where it rolled into a ravine or it deflected off the top of tree into the ravine. I felt terrible we lost it, he had been great finding our wayward shots all day. He still bogeyed the hole, so that could have been another birdie for a 72.

For a little perspective, the course I've shot 85-91 in half a dozen other rounds this year, I shot a 97.

Never will I judge anyone by what they are wearing or playing with...

A few weeks ago we were playing on a chilly Sunday afternoon. We had a cancellation so when a guy asked our threesome if we were playing from the green tees, would we mind if he joined us. The group he was placed with were playing from the tips and he wasnt interested in that. We always play from the green tees at our home course and said sure he could join us. The guy had pulled in next to me in the parking lot in an old Chevy van. Just a blue collar looking guy, would not have been surprised if he was there to work on the plumbing or electric for the course.

He's in an no name jacket with a big tear in the side over a tshirt and blue shop pants. His generic black gym shoes were pretty much bald. Now it was upper 40's when we tee'd off. I've got my base layer on under my polo, with a wind proof jacket over that. His newest club may have been the mallet style putter but it was 10 years old I'd guess. Looked like some kind of Ping knock off. Nothing else in his bag was recognizable. Driver was maybe 400 cc's, he had a an old 3 wood, and a hybrid but nothing of any kind of name brand.

It was tough playing conditions. Cool temps,, 20 mph winds. I've got new spikes in my shoes and still slipped a few times on damp grass. Wind was swirling, changing directions all day.

This guy shoots a 74, 3 over par. He wasn't long by any means but in the fairway all day. Approach shots were never off line, I mean never more than 10 feet. And it was like there was no wind. He made flawless adjustments with wedges and his hybrid hitting greens. He made two birdies, really wasn't a great putter, but maybe that was the wind or just the chewy early season greens.

He wasn't a big guy, but had strong hands. Shaking after the round, I could tell his hands were his livelihood. Didn't really turn his shoulders much, just arms and wrists and knocked it straight all day. We lost his drive on the last hole, he hit it well but a cross wind either knocked it down where it rolled into a ravine or it deflected off the top of tree into the ravine. I felt terrible we lost it, he had been great finding our wayward shots all day. He still bogeyed the hole, so that could have been another birdie for a 72.

For a little perspective, the course I've shot 85-91 in half a dozen other rounds this year, I shot a 97.

Never will I judge anyone by what they are wearing or playing with...

Great Story and I'm sure a real eye opener!

No, don't judge a book by its cover.

Just look on my bag and it's painfully obvious that my equipment tells a completely different story than my ability.

Champagne taste national bohemian ability.

No. The best player I know is a good 100lbs over weight and uses a mix of old irons, a forty year old putter and a old driver and woods. Bling and flash means nothing in golf.

I've been in sales for what seems like forever and I learned the hard way, a long time ago, to not judge a book by its cover. I know that statement is a cliché but my bank account is missing a digit or two to this day because of it.....

The ball mark on the wedges is all you need to see.

Looks and type of clubs doesn't matter. Nor do clothes, shoes or hats/Visors. Look at the clubface. If they look like like this get ready you're going to have a match on your hands.

b85da9c474b239d96d7b700073103ac9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That photo just blows my mind every time I see it

I'm only worried about the guy who has a very well worn spot in the center of all his sticks, regardless of the brand! I play with a 70 year old once a month who hits it dead straight on every shot. Not a super long hitter but very solid contact and accurate. He gives us younger guys a run for our money every time we play.

Your club pro sounds like a douche.

I assume that if somebody has been on a golf course before that they can beat me. I'm right way more often than I'm wrong.

Having shiny new, same brand everything, and a matching staff bag doesn't necessarily mean poser either. I ran into a kid last week that was clad in head to to toe Nike apparel, Vapor pro w/ matching black and volt staff bag (which I now covet btw because it was a really great looking bag), Vapor Pro combo irons, wedges putter--everything Nike. Of course he spotted my Vapor Pro driver right away and we talked about them, and the Fly pro, for a few minutes. I admit that the word "poser" did pass through my mind when I saw the total Nike theme. And then I saw him hit some shots. He had a lovely swing and hit a series of great shots.

I like this thread. I know I've responded but just finished catching up. Couple cool stories. Don't judge by looks is so true!

I got paired up with a tall lanky guy...Titleist staff bag, older Titleist MB's, said he used to be on a "team"....was super excited to see him destroy the course...(I love playing with really good golfers). Well he destroyed it alright to a tune of over 100 strokes and not a single par. So no you can never tell a person by the equipment they show up with.

I'm with you there dude. On both of those. I'm a huge poser and could careless what others thought. Also just recently played 9 holes with the guy that wins just about every amateur tournament every year in my area. Had old Titleist CBS with a rust spot the size of a ball right in the middle of the face. 910 driver and old rusty Cleveland wedges and a really old odyssey putter. But the dude could play.

not to mention, it has been rumored, that on occasion you have teed it up with an old man wearing jeans and sporting an old putter from 1972....who may have actually beat you a few times!!!!!!!

not to mention, it has been rumored, that on occasion you have teed it up with an old man wearing jeans and sporting an old putter from 1972....who may have actually beat you a few times!!!!!!!
Lol keep hanging on to those wins when you need 3 or 4 pops a side.

Being a club builder, I see the clubs and shafts, they say a lot! at 1 tee. Anything aftermarket : shafts, JDM, I more than most see low Hcp'ers

Guy with the most game that I know, and I play with him several times a year is a hardcore Vols fan in his early 50s. Always wears an orange shirt and visor with black or khaki shorts. Simple classic shoes. Superfast driver, no name 3 wood and 7 wood, Ping eye 2 irons, no name sand wedge, ping crazy-e putter. He slaughters almost every course we play. In 20 rounds together the highest I think Ive ever seen him shoot was a 75-76. Hes usually at 1 or 2 under par from the whites. No crazy distance or anything like that. He also plays a variety of balls. Its eye opening to watch him chip and pitch with his wedges. His ball always seems to float towards the hole no matter how hard he swings where as I tend to hit the ball at the hole and hope it stops or rolls out. Really hard to explain without seeing it.

Back