The Official NFL 2010 Thread [Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
First the fun, now the hits. They might as well wear dresses.

I agree, we play sports for fun and also to show off talents. I just dont know that to sa about the NFL right now

Hmmmm... The hits are interesting. Some of those were helmet to helmet though. The big hits, while entertaining, are they really beneficial to anyone outside of the fans watching?

When you think about the little info we do know about concussions and the after effects it can be a scary thought. Some of these players aren't complaining but usually they are the ones doing the hitting. I don't know I'm torn. I am geniunely concerned for some of these players. To these players getting hit, its their livelyhood. Sure they made a choice but aren't most company's tasked with providing a safe work environment? What's different with the NFL? It's a business.

I agree, we play sports for fun and also to show off talents. I just dont know that to sa about the NFL right now

It seems like they are trying to change the nature of the sport. It is physical and lot of what happens has residual effects. But noone is forcing them to this. They made a career choice that comes with inherent risk.

I love the "blow up" hits... its what makes football what it is. I am not a fan of the intentional helmet to helmet hits, not by any means. I was victim to several to in high school and college. But I think you should be allowed to hit a guy as hard as possible before the whistle within the confines of the rules.

I do applaud the NFL for trying to take proactive approach on safety, but what they are doing is like telling NASCAR drivers to drive 200 mph and if you crash or hit someone then you are suspended... its unavoidable.

First the fun, now the hits. They might as well wear dresses.

If a message is not sent that the kind of hitting we saw Sunday is not acceptable then they might as well wear hospital gowns and bibs for the rest of their lives because they'll either be vegetables or worse.

Where's the fun in all the star QB's, WR's, and RB's having their career's ended early? Big hits may be entertaining, but malicious goonery is not. Rodney Harrison said it right Sunday night, he said he put $50k away at the beginning of the season with the intention of making illegal hits and getting fined. Suspensions made him think twice. It is perfectly easy for these guys to make tackle or even a big hit without attempting murder on a defenceless player. That is all this is about, not outlawing hitting. If the NFL sends the message that last sunday is acceptable then eventually someone is going to get killed for the sake of one hot shot LB trying to make the monday highlight reel. If you want devastating hits then play a video game.

Wonderful post.
If a message is not sent that the kind of hitting we saw Sunday is not acceptable then they might as well wear hospital gowns and bibs for the rest of their lives because they'll either be vegetables or worse.

Where's the fun in all the star QB's, WR's, and RB's having their career's ended early? Big hits may be entertaining, but malicious goonery is not. Rodney Harrison said it right Sunday night, he said he put $50k away at the beginning of the season with the intention of making illegal hits and getting fined. Suspensions made him think twice. It is perfectly easy for these guys to make tackle or even a big hit without attempting murder on a defenceless player. That is all this is about, not outlawing hitting. If the NFL sends the message that last sunday is acceptable then eventually someone is going to get killed for the sake of one hot shot LB trying to make the monday highlight reel. If you want devastating hits then play a video game.

+1 man
Once I saw senor Collins was playing I didnt watch any more of the football game. Talk about a TERRIBLE game for MNF. Lets face it, MNF is a joke any more anyway. Id much rather watch SNF and not watch any at all on Monday at 1AM.

Just to add, I love that fact that someone is actually thinking about the health of these players. Choice sure, but do you go into work everyday knowing your long term health is at risk? What would you do if your office or work area was a dangerous hazard that noone bothered to safeguard? People act like the NFL isn't a business.

The hit on Jackson was pretty much called the worst one of the weekend. If you actually watch that play again it was not a helmet to helmet hit. It was a violent collision, yes but not illegal. The defender made the mistake of lowering his head and hitting it into Jacksons chest. You NEVER lower your head unless you want to get paralyzed. These guys should know better. I just think its difficult to tell a guy to stop and think about whether its ok to hit this or that guy when the game is played at such a fast pace. Its a fine line.

I agree its a fine line but to say these athletes cant control how hard they smash someone might be a fine line too. These guys are beasts but they are pro athletes with skills we probably couldnt imagine. The have a lot more control over their bodies than people give them credit for. That's part of the reason they got to the NFL level.

Second, take combat sports/martial arts... You don't think these dudes could snap arms, choke someone beyond the point of safety? Anyone who has participated in martial arts can attest to the rush but you are responsible for controlling it.

I wont be ignorant and say big hits wont happen, but you start making players accountable for it I bet you will see less. I love watching Chris Harris come across the middle and smash someone but these hits to the head and the Jackson hit were not entertainment.

Now they just need to fine the Packers/Vikings/Lions. Hopefully suspend all their starting units for 8 games.
Meriweather fined $50,000 for 2 helmet to helmet hits.

I'm up really late but I can't sleep for some reason

I'm surprised no one has mentioned these 2 things yet.

1. What in the world is CJ doing in the game that late when the titans were up by 20? Sure records are nice but that was terrible coaching job on leaving him in there just so he could get 100 yards.

2. Colt McCoy didn't look bad at all in his first start. Ya he threw 2 ints but I thought he looked pretty good considering he played the number 1 defense in the NFL. I give him a B or B+ for it against the steelers, stared a lot of guys down but also looked off the safety and linebackers a couple times and threw some nice passes. Did a lot better than what people thought he would do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So lets visit this again. The NFL wants to be safer. They dont want defenseless players to get blown up and hurt. They want less concussions and less players having a bad life after football. Ok fine. Im all for player safety and players playing within the rules. But Im a little confused by some of the fines. Robinson's tackle or blow up of Jackson was 100% legal. Yet he was still fined. Harrison was fined 75K but his hit on Cribbs also was 100% legal. A ball carrier is different from a WR catching the ball. Cribbs was running the ball. AND go to NFL.com and you can BUY pictures of both of Harrisons hits from this past Sunday. Now thats a little confusing to me. Occupational Hazard! Thats what this is called. These guys are getting paid to play the GAME. WR's know they are going to get hit across the middle. RB's know they are going to get hit head on running the ball. Ever watch AP take on a tackler? Its violent bro. It happens. Part of the game. Ok so they need to lower the aiming point on these big hits. Next everyone will be crying because all these guys have broken ribs, punctured lungs, stomachs and kidneys. Meriweather deserved what he got. Theres no place for late vicious hits. Have you guys forgot how Atwater and Ronnie Lott played defense. Go Youtube those guys. This is nothing new. These guys are getting paid a lot of money and nobody is making them go across the middle. Its part of the job. Its what they get paid to do and with the fame comes the price. If the hitting is too much for you maybe you should check out flag football or soccer. ha

Robinson's tackle or blow up of Jackson was 100% legal.

You mean in his opinion it was 100% legal. These guys are headhunters by trade. They always think the fine line between epic hit and dirty blow is a couple of yard stick farther than the rest of logical thinking world. Robinson saw a highlight-reel moment went for the glory. It was such a order of magnititude on the stupid meter that he nearly killed himself. 'Nuff said.

Harrison was fined 75K but his hit on Cribbs also was 100% legal.

The Cribbs hit was borderline. He wasn't defenceless, he was turning up field. I can live with no fine on that one, and obviously the NFL could too since they didn't fine him for that one. But his hit on Massaquoi was more of tee off on someone vulnerable. I think he got off easy with only $75k.

Very hypocritical moves by the NFL today. Fines and no suspensions after all that drum beating. And I'm 100% with you on the picture issue. Completely unacceptable and hurts its credibility.

You mean in his opinion it was 100% legal. These guys are headhunters by trade. They always think the fine line between epic hit and dirty blow is a couple of yard stick farther than the rest of logical thinking world. Robinson saw a highlight-reel moment went for the glory. It was such a order of magnititude on the stupid meter that he nearly killed himself. 'Nuff said.

The Cribbs hit was borderline. He wasn't defenceless, he was turning up field. I can live with no fine on that one, and obviously the NFL could too since they didn't fine him. But his hit on Massaquoi was more of tee off on some vulnerable. I think he got off easy with only $75k.

Very hypocritical moves by the NFL today. Fines and no suspensions after all that drum beating. And I'm 100% with you on the picture issue. Completely unacceptable and hurts its credibility.

No I disagree 100%. The hit on Jackson was a text book hit. It was LEGAL. No opinion. It was legal. It was how you are supposed to hit someone. Hit hit him in the shoulder. Maybe the game is just too violent for you? Its football. FULL CONTACT. Like I said, if its too much for you, check out flag football.

No I disagree 100%. The hit on Jackson was a text book hit. It was LEGAL. No opinion. It was legal. It was how you are supposed to hit someone. Hit hit him in the shoulder. Maybe the game is just too violent for you? Its football. FULL CONTACT. Like I said, if its too much for you, check out flag football.

No...it wasn't textbook. He led with his head not his shoulder. Thats called stupid. He speared him 100% and that is why he got suspended. Maybe next time he will think twice about it before he takes himself out again leading with his own head.

No...it wasn't textbook. He led with his head not his shoulder. Thats called stupid. He speared him 100% and that is why he got suspended. Maybe next time he will think twice about it before he takes himself out again leading with his own head.

You are 100% wrong. Go watch it. He did not lead with his head. What he did do wrong was lower his head as he hit Jackson but he did not spear him. Ive been watching and listening to the same stuff as everyone else and if you cant see that you dont know what your watching. Sorry but youre wrong it was a legal hit. Was it too hard a hit? Both players got hurt, that doesnt make it illegal.

You are 100% wrong. Go watch it. He did not lead with his head. What he did do wrong was lower his head as he hit Jackson but he did not spear him. Ive been watching and listening to the same stuff as everyone else and if you cant see that you dont know what your watching. Sorry but youre wrong it was a legal hit. Was it too hard a hit? Both players got hurt, that doesnt make it illegal.

I have watched it and I have listened to all the BS on ESPN also with half of them saying it was legal and half of them saying it wasn't. Experts eh?

His arms were barely extended and his head made first contact, what do you call that? I call it leading with the head. Obviously so did Roger Goodell.

PS that moron for NE should be out for the season...that was so blatant it looked ridiculous.

I have watched it and I have listened to all the BS on ESPN also with half of them saying it was legal and half of them saying it wasn't. Experts eh?

His arms were barely extended and his head made first contact, what do you call that? I call it leading with the head. Obviously so did Roger Goodell.

PS that moron for NE should be out for the season...that was so blatant it looked ridiculous.

I agree on the idiot from NE, uncalled for and blatantly obvious. But my opinion on the Jackson hit was that it was legal. And because someone got hurt and the NFL's knee jerk reaction doesnt make it illegal or a bad hit. I watched the hit as it happened and thought the same thing. He led with his helmet and speared him, throw him out. Well now that Ive seen it again that was not the case and I think its obvious. He hits him shoulder to shoulder with Robinsons helmet hitting him in the chest area. Exactly how it should be. Text book. Violent yes. Wrong, no.

I agree, he did not even make contact with his head. He hit him in sternum. It was not helmet to helmet. They showed it about 50 times in slow mo yesterday and he clearly did not hit him in the head. His shoulder and head hit DJ in the chest, yes his head did hit to but he lead with his shoulder. DJ was not hit in the head, I think that was a legit hit.

Says the guy watching at home on his couch.

Arent you watching at home too? And were talking about the guys making millions, right? Just checkin

I'm not the one saying they should just let them get paralyzed as it's "part of the game"

I'm not the one saying they should just let them get paralyzed as it's "part of the game"

Come on dude. No one is saying that. Im not going to even bother if thats all you have.

I prefer to jog In place while watching the game, helps me get the blood flowing. After a while I sit Indian style and eat Cheetos while drinking a juice on my bean bag chair. It's good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back