My Experience with GolfTec's Iron Fitting

JR

Reaction score
Handicap
I will be getting fit for irons at GolfTec Birmingham Saturday morning. I will post a write up this Sunday.

Initial thoughts​

1. The golf pro seems like a very nice guy (over the phone), very willing to explain the process and the time involved. Very accomidating (had to change appointment and he didn't seem miffed.)

2. Pretty expensive. It is 99 dollars, which is a little steep, considering I get no discount for buying from them. It is, however, a 90-120 minute fitting.

3. Technology sounds amazing.

4. The pro was honest. He let me know, after hearing my handicap, that my swing may make it difficult to get a fit. I should have told him that my unbelivably high scores are mostly due to bad putting, poor wedge distance control, and poor course management, but I appreciate the honesty.

Anyone else been through this? What did you think?

Last edited:
I'm getting fit at austads or golftec this winter for next season so I can't wait to hear what you think.

also, what clubs are you getting, or are you just getting your specs to order clubs?

also, what clubs are you getting, or are you just getting your specs to order clubs?

I am getting whatever clubs I hit best. for under $700 after the price of fitting.

I am trying to go in with nothing but a golf swing to work with, and no conceptions of what is good or not good. If I end up with a 20 dollar set of off the rack starter clubs, so be it.

Im really looking forward to following this one aggro. Keep us posted.

It's a pretty cool experience - The technology is very advanced - it tells you alot about your swing - impact angle - decent angle - what direction you hit the ball off line - how much backspin and sidespin - launch angle - then based on that info they make recommendations for club head and shaft stiffness. The only thing I was disappointed in was their demo club selection. I had a specific club in mind that I wanted to demo and compare to my own and they didn't have it - or much from that company for that matter. Overall, very cool time though- and at worst I found out exactly what shaft I should be using

Hope you enjoy it!

Nice. If your review is favorable, I might go in to get a fitting before the end of the year too. Hope it goes well!

Heck, JB, I hope so. You are the one who turned me on to getting fitted. I will keep all of you posted. I am kina afraid that I will have "one of those days" with my swing.
Im really looking forward to following this one aggro. Keep us posted.

Heck, JB, I hope so. You are the one who turned me on to getting fitted. I will keep all of you posted. I am kina afraid that I will have "one of those days" with my swing.

Dont worry about that part. Go in loose and relaxed. Nothing to be nervous about. Regardless of ball striking, with enough swings, your tendencies will come through and they will get your fit perfectly.

I hope so.

I have practiced the last two days for a total of about 4 hours. I think i was getting to active in the lower body, and have tightened that up. Ball striking has really improvered.
Dont worry about that part. Go in loose and relaxed. Nothing to be nervous about. Regardless of ball striking, with enough swings, your tendencies will come through and they will get your fit perfectly.

Agreed with JB.

Also, it's not actually a bad thing going into a fitting with one of those horrid swing days. The goal of the fitting is to make sure your horrid shots are tamed as much as possible, while you're good shots are rewarded as much as possible at the same time (or so my Golf Tec fitter told me).

These guys are really good at their jobs so just go and have fun and try and lap up all the neat information they can give you.

I have a question. Are all GolfTec Coaches ceftified PGA Pros?
Agreed with JB.

Also, it's not actually a bad thing going into a fitting with one of those horrid swing days. The goal of the fitting is to make sure your horrid shots are tamed as much as possible, while you're good shots are rewarded as much as possible at the same time (or so my Golf Tec fitter told me).

These guys are really good at their jobs so just go and have fun and try and lap up all the neat information they can give you.

I have a question. Are all GolfTec Coaches ceftified PGA Pros?

No. I dont believe they are. I dont think that makes them any less qualified though. In my opinion anyway.

They also don't count some of your bad swings - so they get the most realistic look at your swing at its best. Anyone can have a bad day - so I think they take that into account by doing that. I know that helped me relax.

I can answer some questions aggro, no not all are PGA pro certified, but the Golftec training for each "coach" makes them better than most pros at fitting. I have met many pros that knew half as much as the Golftec coach I have used since April.

Also- they take an average number from all ur swings so you'll hit the same club 4-5 times. So don't worry about being nervous, Ull warmup some anyways.

It's cool seeing all the different numbers the launch monitor will track. He should give u a printout with the clubs u hit and their avg numbers, then offer advice on which he thinks had the best numbers for you, and what u liked hitting. Good luck!!

You are going to enjoy your fitting at GolfTEC. To be honest with you guys that is my favorite thing to do at work. To answer a question from the thread not all GolfTEC pros are class A pros, but most are in the program or hold their membership. We are all trained the same and all of us come from a golf background. I believe to work with them now they are looking for level 2 apprentices or higher just to get looked at.

Back to your fitting. You have nothing to worry about. We have seen better swings and we have seen worse swings. We want you to come is loose and ready to enjoy your time in the fitting. We will look at your swing and have a good idea of what happens when you play and we have the best tools around so you can beleive that your fitting is going to tell you what is best for your game and to help with your tendancies. I cannot wait to hear how things go for you.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting fit sometime before next season @ golftec also so I'm interested to hear how it goes.
The only thing that worries me is that my swing will change a lot once I start playing and the fitting may become obsolete...

Thanks a ton, Andy. I am excited beyond belief.
I saw on the site that wearing black is a bad idea. Is white okay? What about pants? Is it okay to wear jeans, or do I need slacks?
You are going to enjoy your fitting at GolfTEC. To be honest with you guys that is my favorite thing to do at work. To answer a question from the thread not all GolfTEC pros are class A pros, but most are in the program or hold their membership. We are all trained the same and all of us come from a golf background. I believe to work with them now they are looking for level 2 apprentices or higher just to get looked at.

Back to your fitting. You have nothing to worry about. We have seen better swings and we have seen worse swings. We want you to come is loose and ready to enjoy your time in the fitting. We will look at your swing and have a good idea of what happens when you play and we have the best tools around so you can beleive that your fitting is going to tell you what is best for your game and to help with your tendancies. I cannot wait to hear how things go for you.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting fit sometime before next season @ golftec also so I'm interested to hear how it goes.
The only thing that worries me is that my swing will change a lot once I start playing and the fitting may become obsolete...

Have you or are you going to go into lessons with them? If so, that will play a part in what they fit you to as there will likely be things that do change. Mostly it'll be shaft changes but loft/lie's might be adjusted as well but those are easy peasy and can be done with most good quality clubs on the spot.

If you don't intend to do lessons they will fit you for how you swing now to get the most out of that swing. It's possible that said fitting will get thrown off as you go if your body changes or you tinker with your swing on your own in which case a refitting down the road would be a good idea.

Thanks a ton, Andy. I am excited beyond belief.
I saw on the site that wearing black is a bad idea. Is white okay? What about pants? Is it okay to wear jeans, or do I need slacks?

Ideally you'll want clothes that show your movement in the video the best. Black shows up crappy on their camera's and jeans won't do nearly as good of a job as slacks at showing things like knee bend. It would be worth while to call your fitter and check with him though, I'm just going based on what I was told.

Have you or are you going to go into lessons with them? If so, that will play a part in what they fit you to as there will likely be things that do change. Mostly it'll be shaft changes but loft/lie's might be adjusted as well but those are easy peasy and can be done with most good quality clubs on the spot.

If you don't intend to do lessons they will fit you for how you swing now to get the most out of that swing. It's possible that said fitting will get thrown off as you go if your body changes or you tinker with your swing on your own in which case a refitting down the road would be a good idea.

Ideally you'll want clothes that show your movement in the video the best. Black shows up crappy on their camera's and jeans won't do nearly as good of a job as slacks at showing things like knee bend. It would be worth while to call your fitter and check with him though, I'm just going based on what I was told.

Okay, so light colored shirt and slacks.

Do I need to bring my own balls?

Nope, they'll have you hit with their ProV1's or whatever is the ball of choice at that location. You'll probably see funny markings all over them which helps the trackman pick up on things like spin better than with an unmarked golf ball.

Not meaning to hijack, but what do people think a better fitting is: Edwin Watts or GolfTec?

Oh, and by the way, thanks for sharing your experiences.

Not meaning to hijack, but what do people think a better fitting is: Edwin Watts or GolfTec?

Oh, and by the way, thanks for sharing your experiences.

Its not even close...GolfTEC. Edwin Watts is a retail store. A good one and they do things very well. GolfTEC has technology to assist that Edwin Watts just does not have. They also have actual teachers there to assist in clubfitting. Its not even close.

Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Back