Cleveland CG16 Wedges

first impressions...I'm liking them from the photos.Whats the sole like though.Looks like it would be wide.That would be a put off for me.Of course that could change once I get a chance to try them out.

The sole is slightly wider, but because of the tour grind they have, it makes them extremely versatile.

Couple questions on these.
1.) Do you know what the stock shafts will be
2.) Also for the DSG when you open it what's the equivalent bounce to the dot wedges (one, two or three dots)?

Couple questions on these.
1.) Do you know what the stock shafts will be
2.) Also for the DSG when you open it what's the equivalent bounce to the dot wedges (one, two or three dots)?

Sure

1. The Cleveland Traction wedge shaft.
2. The DSG does not appear in the CG16 line from what I have here. They have also gone to a 2 dot system (1 or 2).

We will have more on this and the reasons behind it coming up in the review as well as a THP Radio show.

Thanks JB. How do you think about the wedge flex? If you play KBS Tour 120s stiff in irons is that going to have the equivalent stiffness?

Thanks JB. How do you think about the wedge flex? If you play KBS Tour 120s stiff in irons is that going to have the equivalent stiffness?

Yes it will. I believe wedges should be fit just like any other club. But I play stiff shafted irons and wedge flex wedges. I was fitted that way. Most wedge shots are different than iron shots. I use TT DG Spinner wedge shafts and they are offered in 2 flexes, wedge and wedge +.

I haven't been a fan of a few of Cleveland's recent offerings, but I do like these...the shallow cavity looks confidence-inspiring (for me)

so to be rated the number 1 wedge in golf for so many years I am very surprised that this has not blown up. I love Cleveland wedges, Any pics of the oil quench? and I have to ask, why didnt you vibrant the 16's instead of the 15's?

so to be rated the number 1 wedge in golf for so many years I am very surprised that this has not blown up. I love Cleveland wedges, Any pics of the oil quench? and I have to ask, why didnt you vibrant the 16's instead of the 15's?

Im looking at the CG16 press copy for 2011 and they are not coming out in Oil Quench from what we are seeing.

I had brand new 15s and love them. No reason to switch yet.

Very good reason not to do it...hmm, the OP says that they are coming out in the Oil Quench....oh well, either way, nasty set of wedges right there.

Very good reason not to do it...hmm, the OP says that they are coming out in the Oil Quench....oh well, either way, nasty set of wedges right there.

It does. That was the original info we were given. Now it looks like Black Pearl and Satin are the two choices.

right, I didnt think it was wrong info, just a change in plans. I saw in the pic you posted of the 15 compared to the 16 that you have been hitting the 16 a bit(at least it looks worn) How does it compare? Pre spinner shafts

right, I didnt think it was wrong info, just a change in plans. I saw in the pic you posted of the 15 compared to the 16 that you have been hitting the 16 a bit(at least it looks worn) How does it compare? Pre spinner shafts

I have not spent too much time with them. The wedges were used at the demo day you attended...hehe

But from what I have learned, I love the feel again, but I also love the little extra forgiveness based on a mini-cavity pocket out on the toe and heel.

I did an oil quench finish on my first set of irons as a do it your self project. They turned out nice. I guess one could always do it to the cg 16 wedges. I did notice that the DIY finish wore off faster than the black pearl factory finish.

Spin

Spin

I would like to see spin numbers vs CG15 on full shots and pitch shots

I would like to see spin numbers vs CG15 on full shots and pitch shots

I only have CG15s with altered shafts, so I cannot help with spin numbers on these.

However you are in FL, and our THP Golf Outing and Demo Day is in May, we will have both wedges out there I am sure since they are both part of the 2011 lineup. You can definitely test them both out there.

This time for sure I am going to be there

I have been working with these quite a bit for review and the more I work with them, the more I am impressed.

I'm a little confused- the title is cg16 wedges, and I know jb loves and games the cg15 wedges, and is testing the cg16 irons.. So are there cg16 wedges out there? Or is this about the irons?

I'm a little confused- the title is cg16 wedges, and I know jb loves and games the cg15 wedges, and is testing the cg16 irons.. So are there cg16 wedges out there? Or is this about the irons?

This is about the wedges. Click to the first post shows the picture and info on the wedges.

This is about the wedges. Click to the first post shows the picture and info on the wedges.

dang thought i was in the cg16 IRON thread lol - little too many beers reading posts at 1 am

These look great. Question #1, how much do you feel the conforming grooves affect the spin, compared to the CG 15 (if any at all). Question #2, if I put Spinners in these id question #1 still even relevant?

These look great. Question #1, how much do you feel the conforming grooves affect the spin, compared to the CG 15 (if any at all). Question #2, if I put Spinners in these id question #1 still even relevant?

I notice a difference when hitting out of the thicker stuff, but outside of that, not much. And yes the Spinners could in fact be the answer.

I notice a difference when hitting out of the thicker stuff, but outside of that, not much. And yes the Spinners could in fact be the answer.

Thanks JB and everyone else for their comments. You guys are very enlightening.

For folks that have hit the CG16s how would you compare their forgiveness to the CG14s? I know the grooves are different. Trying to decide whether to pick up CG14s on sale or wait. Thanks!

Back