Driver & shaft dependencies

mdbuschsr

Just playing for fun
Reaction score
Handicap
OOB 17.3
I just posted in another thread about a driver head that I have (Maltby Ke4 Beta). I think I like the head, but I've never had a shaft in it that works.

How dependent is the head on the shaft, and vice-versa? What I mean is, if I go for a driver fitting, and it says that I should swing brand 'X' head with brand/model 'Y' shaft how well will that translate to other combinations?

I recently swung my driver on the simulator at GolfGalaxy, and after talking with a sales person, my numbers are all off quite a bit. My biggest concern is back spin. I was seeing numbers that were 2-3000 higher rpm than they should be. With Andy's help, I am changing my driver swing some so those numbers are sure to change hopefully.

But my question, I think, is still valid. Can I get fit for say a TM R9 460 with X shaft and have that shaft work in my component head?

Sort of, but different heads react vastly different. A shaft that might suit you for a Supertri (high spin head) probably wouldn't work for a head like a Bridgestone J38 head (extremely low spin). JB would be able to answer this better than I would though.

Based on what I learned from my shaft-fitting experience I would say not exactly. A shaft that works well in one club won't exactly work well in another, for example I play a Dymo2 which is higher spinning. I hit a certain shaft that I can't remember in it and my spin numbers went through the roof, took that same shaft but in a Ping Rapture V2 and it put me right where I need to be as far as backspin and launch angle, same shaft completely different results.

I would say get the shaft fit to you and the head unit to eliminate problems, you could get lucky and it all work out well or it could bite you in the butt.

Edit: that reminds me I need to start looking for a Rapture V2 to compare with the R9 I hit I hit yesterday

The best thing you can do is listen to the two THP Radio shows that are on the home page with Miyazaki shafts. Tim Gillis is our guest and he talks a lot about Shaft and Head combos and why they are so important. What to look for, etc....

The best thing you can do is listen to the two THP Radio shows that are on the home page with Miyazaki shafts. Tim Gillis is our guest and he talks a lot about Shaft and Head combos and why they are so important. What to look for, etc....

I'll do that, Thanks JB

Back