Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

I don't know. It just says length.

Outstanding info so far guys. Seems like Cleveland made some great choices.

Mashie and I went out on a little Christmas date this afternoon, and I was lucky enough to catch the owner right before he was leaving to get some range balls.

Temp: 38* wind- 5mph

Mashie 18*

Now I hit about 5-6 balls at my house when I first got it, and it wasnt pretty. Pushed the first, the next 4 off the toe, not a great way to start off. I admit I was nervous hitting it again today after what happened yesterday. I had about 40-50 balls in my bucket and hit nothing but the mashie. Took some warm up swings and then started with the first. I pushed the first 8 balls way to the right and the next 5 I ducked hook to the left. I just could not get a feel for the weight of the club and it being so light. Took a deep breathe a got right back to it, next 10 were low stingers with a draw to it, next 5 high and right, got pissed and just whaled on the next 2 and pulled them both left. So after 30 balls I think I had 1 decent shot, and I was in shock with what I was seeing. Just simply could not hit it if my life depended on it. Took a little break and sent Yoccos a few txs asking him some questions about it then got back to the last 15-20 balls I had left. Boom best shot all day dead center and it was a beauty, I grinned and said finally. Next 5-10 were almost exactly like that, finished out with a couple bad shots mixed in but I was just excited to finally hit some good ones.

Ok enough rambling of what my day was like, get some info on the club itself. Each shot I hit, I knew exactly were it hit. The club has EXCELLENT feedback that you know instantly were you hit it. To me it sounds exactly like a ball coming of an iron. Its not the a wood sound, has a nice crisp iron like sound. For example I can hit a 6i then hit the mashie next and there almost identical. I really like that, at first it confused me and thought it was me but its the sound it makes. I also noticed that I can generate a ton of club head speed with it and it was getting me in trouble since im not used to it quite yet, the club felt so light that i could just get a ton of speed coming down on the back swing and I think thats why I had so many bad shots at first, because I finally started slowing it down a bit and really getting a feel for the club I started seeing good shots. On the 10-15 good shots I hit, I was getting a nice high ball flight with a draw to it, I only sliced 1 ball all day with it so thats always a plus. I dont think im any were near being comfortable with it yet but I know its coming, kind of like driving a car for the first time, your not comfortable with it at the start but you know its coming with some practice.

Still a lot more balls to hit with the mashie and hopefully it will warm up a little tomorrow and next week. Hope everyone had a good Christmas!

Sorry but that is too funny..... but not really!! :wtf:

It has nothing to do with LH. But I am sure it is what you are thinking...

TC is the only person that ordered special specs (extra length). Club had to be built.

It has nothing to do with LH. But I am sure it is what you are thinking...

TC is the only person that ordered special specs (extra length). Club had to be built.

Oh would could of ordered "special specs" Darn!! had I know I would of ordered mine with the spec to always hit the ball in the hole!!! hehehe

You mean left-handed isn't special specs to begin with? LOL

TC hope it gets there quickly bud!!!

Reactions: JB
Good stuff Bridges!

I also had the opportunity to spend some time with the Mashie again today. I was lucky enough to play a round of golf today (yes, my wife is awesome) and took every chance I could to hit the Mashie. I played it out of the ruff, from the fairway, off the tee and around the green. It performed admirably in all of these areas. I am really starting to love the sound of this club. As Bridges stated above, it really does sound more like a crisp iron shot than any other hybrid or fw I've played.

From the rough I found the Mashie to inspire a lot of confidence and produce great results. I was easily able to get the ball up and I was presently surprised with the carry. This thing is a beast off the tee...so much so that I'm actually going to rework my set a bit. As you can see in my signature, I currently carry a 4 wood but with the Mashie my distance gap between my 3h and my 4w is down so I'm going to probably go back to a 3w to increase this gap. From the fairway the Mashie is, as you would expect, very playable. Lastly, I don't play a lot of shots around the green with a hybrid, but I decided to try it out today when I found my ball resting against the collar. A simple smooth putting stroke and the ball rolled out to a few feet.

It was pretty windy here today so I was forced to hit a few low shots, which I had much more success with today than during my initial testing. I am, however, still occasionally overcooking a draw/hook, but hopefully I can smooth that out.

Good stuff Bridges!

I also had the opportunity to spend some time with the Mashie again today. I was lucky enough to play a round of golf today (yes, my wife is awesome) and took every chance I could to hit the Mashie. I played it out of the ruff, from the fairway, off the tee and around the green. It performed admirably in all of these areas. I am really starting to love the sound of this club. As Bridges stated above, it really does sound more like a crisp iron shot than any other hybrid or fw I've played.

From the rough I found the Mashie to inspire a lot of confidence and produce great results. I was easily able to get the ball up and I was presently surprised with the carry. This thing is a beast off the tee...so much so that I'm actually going to rework my set a bit. As you can see in my signature, I currently carry a 4 wood but with the Mashie my distance gap between my 3h and my 4w is down so I'm going to probably go back to a 3w to increase this gap. From the fairway the Mashie is, as you would expect, very playable. Lastly, I don't play a lot of shots around the green with a hybrid, but I decided to try it out today when I found my ball resting against the collar. A simple smooth putting stroke and the ball rolled out to a few feet.

It was pretty windy here today so I was forced to hit a few low shots, which I had much more success with today than during my initial testing. I am, however, still occasionally overcooking a draw/hook, but hopefully I can smooth that out.

How would you compare it to other hybrids you may have used before?

Here's another question for testers. When I was fit for my irons, I was told I was right in the middle of senior and regular flex. I hit them both and decided to go with senior flex because they just felt better. I usually hit senior flex hybrids and regular flex driver/woods. Since these new clubs are so light, are you finding you need a stronger flex? I will hit both but I am thinking the regular flex might be best for me. What's your take?

Here's another question for testers. When I was fit for my irons, I was told I was right in the middle of senior and regular flex. I hit them both and decided to go with senior flex because they just felt better. I usually hit senior flex hybrids and regular flex driver/woods. Since these new clubs are so light, are you finding you need a stronger flex? I will hit both but I am thinking the regular flex might be best for me. What's your take?

Kelly, I think this is what I love most about Intl Flex Code. Rather than just deal with standard flexes, one can really fine tune the shaft to work best for you.

Kelly, I think this is what I love most about Intl Flex Code. Rather than just deal with standard flexes, one can really fine tune the shaft to work best for you.

JB what if someone does not know their code? Then how would a person decide if there were in the middle like Kelly was mentioning?

I guess when I get fitted they will piece it all together and tell me what would be best. That's what my coach did when he fitted me with my irons and since I was in the middle, he just let me swing both and I went with the one that gave me the best results.

JB what if someone does not know their code? Then how would a person decide if there were in the middle like Kelly was mentioning?

Fitting.

I was planning on going to the range today and we got 5" of snow last night! I guess I will have to wait till it clears out of town.

How would you compare it to other hybrids you may have used before?

For what its worth, so far I plan on keeping it in my bag over my other hybrids. I plan on spending some time with all of my hybrids this week doing some comparisons at the range. I'll report specs for my other hybrids and my findings here.

Almost 4,500 views already....think the Mashie will be a popular buy for people this spring? Great stuff so far testers!

Since it's really windy here today and I'm not going to make it to the range , I thought it would be a good time to introduce the other hybrids that I'm going to be using for comparison purposes this week. I plan on comparing the following 4 hybrids:

1. Cleveland Mashie M3 (20.5*) - Miyazaki C. Kua 59 Series Hybrid Stiff (62g)

2. Mizuno MP CLK (20*) - Mitsubishi Fubuki Stiff (84g)

3. Taylormade Burner Rescue (19*) - Stock Burner REAX Shaft Stiff (60g)

4. Tour Edge Exotics XCG V (18*) - Graphite Design Tour AD Stuff Flex (72g)

Despite the differing lofts, I have used each of these hybrids as a 3 iron replacement in my bag.

Let me know if you have anything specific you'd like me to try with each club for comparison purposes.

Since it's really windy here today and I'm not going to make it to the range , I thought it would be a good time to introduce the other hybrids that I'm going to be using for comparison purposes this week. I plan on comparing the following 4 hybrids:

1. Cleveland Mashie M3 (20.5*) - Miyazaki C. Kua 59 Series Hybrid Stiff (62g)

2. Mizuno MP CLK (20*) - Mitsubishi Fubuki Stiff (84g)

3. Taylormade Burner Rescue (19*) - Stock Burner REAX Shaft Stiff (60g)

4. Tour Edge Exotics XCG V (18*) - Graphite Design Tour AD Stuff Flex (72g)

Despite the differing lofts, I have used each of these hybrids as a 3 iron replacement in my bag.

Let me know if you have anything specific you'd like me to try with each club for comparison purposes.

I am a big fan of Tour Edge Exotics woods. I don't know if this is possible, but I would really like to see the results of pairing the TEE xcg V with the C Kua shaft vs the Mashie. I think that the face of TEE woods and hybrids are hotter than anything I've ever hit, and in combo with a properly fitted C Kua sounds like dynamite.

I am a big fan of Tour Edge Exotics woods. I don't know if this is possible, but I would really like to see the results of pairing the TEE xcg V with the C Kua shaft vs the Mashie. I think that the face of TEE woods and hybrids are hotter than anything I've ever hit, and in combo with a properly fitted C Kua sounds like dynamite.

I think any hybrid with the C. Kua shaft becomes a better hybrid. But keep in mind that the combo you are speaking of would cost double what a Mashie would cost. After having hit both, I preferred the Mashie. The distance was pretty close to equal, but shot dispersion was better and the feel was better with the Mashie. TEE makes some really good clubs, but if it were me (and it was as I have both), I would choose the Mashie.

Up to this point, I have to agree with JB that the Mashie is winning me over v. the TEE. I'll post my 'official' comparison results in the next few days, but so far I'm liking my results with the Mashie. The stock shaft in this thing is just fantastic!

I think any hybrid with the C. Kua shaft becomes a better hybrid. But keep in mind that the combo you are speaking of would cost double what a Mashie would cost. After having hit both, I preferred the Mashie. The distance was pretty close to equal, but shot dispersion was better and the feel was better with the Mashie. TEE makes some really good clubs, but if it were me (and it was as I have both), I would choose the Mashie.
I have a TEE xcg (15*) 3 wood that is just plain awesome after I had it shafted with a C Kua. Prior to the shaft change, I was inconsistent and would often bag a 4 wood instead as my longest wood. That's why I was curious about the TEE xcg V hybrid paired with a C Kua. JB ,thanks for your input. Still,I wonder what AHA's opinion would be if he would do the shaft swap.

I have a TEE xcg (15*) 3 wood that is just plain awesome after I had it shafted with a C Kua. Prior to the shaft change, I was inconsistent and would often bag a 4 wood instead as my longest wood. That's why I was curious about the TEE xcg V hybrid paired with a C Kua. JB ,thanks for your input. Still,I wonder what AHA's opinion would be if he would do the shaft swap.

Very interesting to read more about your TEE 3 wood / Miyazaki C. Kua combo.
What is your swingspeed?
What is the distance (carry/roll) with TEE 3 / Kua?

This thread is about the Mashie guys and those fortunate enough to be testing it early. To discuss another brands FW wood, please use an appropriate thread.

I´m sorry!

Back