Car Hunt recommendations

Tuna, I'd take a really good look at the Hyundai's especially with their prices in Canada... The new Sonata and Elantra (2011) look great. I drive a Sonata right now and I have zero complaints, I'll be trading later this year and I'll be getting the new Sonata or Elantra...

Wow, another new car shopper. Enjoy your new ride when you get it. Just got GG a new car and she loves it.

I drive a bunch of cars as I travel all week for work and use 2 -3 rentals per week. Of the cars you listed I enjoyed the new Chevy Cruze, seemed like a solid build with nice features and it was tight for a car at this price point. I know the Hyundai Sonata gets alot of high marks but I've rented this 5x now and it's a noisy rattle trap as far as I'm concerned.

Just to toss some info into the mix to help with differentiation on the list, here's a little help. I won't comment on the competition, since I can be a little biased as I am a manager for Ford corporate.

From the list you gave, the Fusion is the largest on the list, thus the slightly higher pricing. It's a midsize car, the rest were all compacts. So you'll see some extra features available on it, as well as more powerful engine choices. It also has the best infotainment system in the industry available on the SE and up - SYNC. Heather and I currently lease a pair of Mercury Milans, which are basically Fusions with a different skin and badging and couldn't be happier.

I saw RatFink had mentioned the Mazda 6. It's another platform-mate to the Fusion. The Mazdas tend to be marketed as sportier (Zoom-Zoom!) but mechanically are very similar. But no SYNC option, which I do consider to be a negative.

Depending on the timeline you have for your purchase, you may be interested in the 2012 Focus. It will be completely redesigned from what we have here in North America currently, and will be the same Focus as they sell in Europe. Production begins at the end of the month, so they're a couple months from being available at dealerships. I've driven the car already (perk of working for the company) and was very impressed - I like it better than my Milan. Depending on how you order it, it comes loaded with technology. It may fit you better than anything on the list, if you have the time to wait.

My vote would be for a better, older model. Nothing depreciates faster than a new car. Get one with 20K or less and it's virtually new anyway.

Osahar: She's willing to wait. We won't be picking up her new ride until mid August

Interesting thing about the Mazda 6's out here; they're selling so badly that Mazda has ponyed up a large discount to the dealerships to get ride of them. You can get a new 6 for just a couple thousand more then a 3 which is fairly intriguing.

For the fun of it she test drove a base model Lancer sedan yesterday. Appearntly a Fit feels zippier but my does the Turbo model fly

Osahar: She's willing to wait. We won't be picking up her new ride until mid August

Interesting thing about the Mazda 6's out here; they're selling so badly that Mazda has ponyed up a large discount to the dealerships to get ride of them. You can get a new 6 for just a couple thousand more then a 3 which is fairly intriguing.

For the fun of it she test drove a base model Lancer sedan yesterday. Appearntly a Fit feels zippier but my does the Turbo model fly

4g63 is probably the best four cylinder motor ever built. (The turbo model you speak of.)

My choice of a new car right now would be the new Sonata within the price range you are looking. The Fusion is definitely second. Both I think you guys would be very impressed with.

dodge avenger

dodge avenger

Sorry man, I'm primarily a mopar guy, but in the midsize sedan class, the avenger and sebring just don't cut it. The current ones are absolute horse turds.
The new ones that are coming out, are supposed to be greatly improved, but I believe the Fusion is still the benchmark.

Ok cool. I don't know much about them other than I like their looks. I reserved one over Christmas to rent, but they bait-switched on me. I was hopin to try one for myself.

Steer away from GM/Chevrolet/etc. and Dodge/Chrysler/etc.

Last edited:
My SIL swears her Mazda 3 is the best/favorite car she has owned, I drove it for several hundred miles and liked it alot. With that list you can't really go wrong, the only manufacture I've heard negative of was Hyundai but that was years ago and more than likely no longer relevant.

Seems like a good deal on the Mazda6s.. are you leaning that way?

If you can hold off buying for a few months, wait until the 2011 model year is up, and the 2012s start coming out. There will be huge savings on the 2011 cars left on dealer lots - When we got my aunt's Fusion we saved something like $8,000 and still dragged it in from Saskatoon since no one in Calgary had the car she wanted.

Back