Lexi Thompson decision

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
From the Facebook page of the LPGA(http://www.facebook.com/#!/notes/lpga-official-page/commissioner-mike-whans-statement-regarding-lexi-thompson/500237168150

Commissioner Mike Whan's Statement Regarding Lexi Thompson

by LPGA Official Page on Friday, January 14, 2011 at 2:20pm.

“After careful consideration of Alexis (Lexi) Thompson’s petition requesting ‘limited membership’ and doubled sponsor exemptions, from six to 12, I have decided to deny that request for 2011.

“Lexi has remarkable skills for a 15-year-old, and if she continues to grow and develop, I believe that she should have a great future both on and off the golf course. This season, Lexi still will be able to secure up to six sponsor exemptions for LPGA sanctioned events, and also may choose to pursue additional playing opportunities through our "open" Monday qualifier format.

“I appreciate the thought and passion that Lexi, her family and her management team at Blue Giraffe Sports put into their petition. It's clear to me that Lexi and her team have a quality, long-term vision."

All I can say is...

WHAT AN IDIOT!

Thats absolutly ridiculous. You don't see the Euro tour cutting off Matteo Mannassero from Playing do you? NO.
She should be able to play in as many tournaments as she wants

Keep in mind that the LPGA cannot bend the rules again like it did for Michelle Wie and the PGA Tour did not amend the rules and let Tiger Woods get more exemptions or into the Players.

I actually agree with the decision. She knew the rules when she turned pro and now she wants them to change them.

She can get a sponsor's exemption in six of them. She can try to qualify for whatever esle she wants, according to the report:
This season, Lexi still will be able to secure up to six sponsor exemptions for LPGA sanctioned events, and also may choose to pursue additional playing opportunities through our "open" Monday qualifier format.

Frankly, rules or not, I don't think the LPGA can afford to pass on talent and draw like this girl has/will bring.

lets just say she wins one of those 6 that she is in, does she still only get to play in the other 5 or is there some kind of battlefield promotion that would kick in at that point?

I don't see the big fuss, if she is good enough and wants to play bad enough they gave her a way in with the Monday quals. Go qualify, which can only help make her better in terms of dealing with the pressure to get in on talent...not potential.

lets just say she wins one of those 6 that she is in, does she still only get to play in the other 5 or is there some kind of battlefield promotion that would kick in at that point?

The way I understand it the minimum age for membership on the LPGA is 18. Morgan Pressell (2005) and Aree Song (2003) applied for early entry at age 17 and were accepted. Let her try then. Otherwise they are allowed six exemptions.

If she wins one, I think everything changes. I didn't think the LPGA had more than 6 tourneys left anyway.

Can someone explain to me how a Monday qualifier works. Obviously, I know that you play your way into the field but how many spots are giving to qualifiers or is it just the winner? If it's 5 or more she should be able to play her way on a lot.

From Golfweek.com:

Thompson loses petition but still gains access

By Beth Ann Baldry

The LPGA denied Lexi Thompson’s petition to double the number of allowable sponsor exemptions, but she won’t be complaining. Commissioner Mike Whan’s solution could result in even more starts for the 15-year-old prodigy. And they won’t be handouts.

Beginning this year, the LPGA will open its Monday qualifiers to non-members. Thompson still will be allowed the maximum six exemptions, per LPGA rules – not the 12 she had sought – plus the ability to Monday qualify for seven domestic events, along with the U.S. Women’s Open and Ricoh Women’s British Open.

“While the vehicle that they used to get there was different, we’re satisfied with the outcome,” said Bobby Kreusler, Thompson’s agent at Blue Giraffe Sports. “We actually have more opportunities than what we asked for.”

Whan said he’d been considering changing the Monday qualifying criteria well before Thompson filed her petition. In the midst of discussions with Thompson’s agent, Whan told him of the rule change.

“I said, ‘There’s an option for you,’ ” Whan said. “I don’t know how many Sunday night plane tickets you want to buy.”

Fields at Monday qualifiers aren’t exactly overflowing, because competing is a big expense for many pros struggling to make a paycheck, and those qualifiers were limited to LPGA members. This change gives the LPGA a chance to earn more revenue and strengthen its fields -- and storylines -- with fresh talent. It's a good move by Whan.

Not everyone who is deserving of sponsor exemptions gets a nod. Thompson will take many of the spots this year, leaving fewer for other potential stars. For example, Victoria Tanco, a two-time AJGA Player of the Year, has had a difficult time getting starts. Tanco, 16, of Argentina, isn’t optimistic that she will get many exemptions in 2011. This rule change gives her a chance to make her own way.

Thompson, who will turn 16 on Feb. 10, earned $336,472 last year, equivalent to 34th on the LPGA money list. She finished 10th at the U.S. Women’s Open and second at the Evian Masters.

Thompson will play in the Australian Open (Feb. 3-6) and ANZ Masters (Feb. 10-13), both sanctioned by the Ladies European Tour, to start her season.

With so many opportunities now available to players, Whan is considering changing the criteria for non-members to earn status for the following season. Now, a player must finish the equivalent of 80th or higher on the money list to skip LPGA Q-School. But, Whan said “perhaps” that number will change.

Seems more than fair to me. She certainly hasn't been discriminated against.

I actually agree with the decision. She knew the rules when she turned pro and now she wants them to change them.

She can get a sponsor's exemption in six of them. She can try to qualify for whatever esle she wants, according to the report:

At one time I thought it would be best for the tour to allow her to play more, but after some thought while the tour was ruling on this, I have to agree that she knew the rules and it is better that the tour not bend the rules for her.
She will have plenty of opportunities in the future and can as pointed out, try to qualify where she is not exempt. I wish her luck and think the LPGA did the right thing.

Rules are rules. She'll have her opportunities.

Kevin

im sure lexi will be alright... the lpga needs as much attention as possible cuz they are hurting
im a huge fan of the lpga and am really disappointed alot of the tourneys arent there anymore

Back