Replace 3 hybrid with 5 Wood?

bobgeorge

Kentucky Wildcat Fan!
Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone try this? If so, what were you results?

Loft angles are about the same, but I'm thinking a 5 wood might be easier to hit.

Thanks!

I've never owned a 5 wood myself. I just find hybrids easier to hit off the deck, well, not easier, but i'm more consistent with them. Hopefully you get some good feedback.

I carry a 5 wood and always have. I find the club as easy to use in most situations as a hybrid (maybe not deep rough). However, technically the 5 wood (typically 19*) is equivalent to a 2 hybrid. You'll notice I carry both - there's a legitimate 15 yard gap between them. Hope that helps...

I carry a 3 hybrid (19*) instead of a 5 Wood. I hit my hybrid better than my woods (even thinking of getting a hybrid to replace my 3W). If you hit your woods better, a 5 wood might be a better option. If you can, go hit both on monitors and see which one provides better numbers.

I would probably be using it off the deck. Only time I would use it on a tee would long par 3s. I think my 3 hybrid is 21*.

You'd have to try it to be sure. Some people swing a hybrid better than a wood. One thing to keep in mind is that the wood will probably have a longer shaft, which can contribute to distance increases. Also, the poster that said the comparable hybrid would probably be a 2h is correct.

I keep trying to work a 2H to replace the 5w/4w but it never works for me. Once I go below about 20* in a H or iron, the wood becomes the easier and more consistent option. Though maybe the Mashie will change that!

Anyone try this? If so, what were you results?

Loft angles are about the same, but I'm thinking a 5 wood might be easier to hit.

Thanks!

I think for most, the shorter hybrid would be easier to hit. I still own a 5 wood but hardly ever carry it anymore. I find that I don't often need the distance of the 5 wood, which I hit a good 10/15 yards further than the hybrid of the same loft. I need the hybrid distance and flight a lot more often. If anything more is needed, I just go with 3 wood.

I had a gap between my 4 hybrid and 5 wood. I couldn’t find a 3 hybrid to match my 4 & 5 Nike hybrid; and I found a great deal on a matching 7 wood… So I removed my 3 wood from the bag, and added the 7. So, in my case, a 7 wood was the 3 hybrid replacement.

I used to carry all woods, (3, 5 and 7) and over time I have switched them all to hybrids. Speaking specifically about the 5w vs a hybrid, yes they have similar lofts but I find the hybrid much more versitale. I only used the 5w off the fairway, but the hybrid, I can use in the rough, out of fairway bunkers, chipping near the green, in addition to off the fairway. In a game that limits the number of clubs one has in their bag my personal choice is to be able to get the most out of the clubs that go in that bag.

Back