The Movie Review Thread

That documentary was crazy. Nice obscure doc reference.

"This Is It"- I've held off watching this for morbid reasons and I just never agreed with the man's lifestyle, but realized how talented he was. My wife finally got me to break down and his personal issues aside, it shows a side of concert prep that I was unaware of. He was a consummate perfectionist and and superb entertainer. If you are even remotely a fan, watch it.

"The Experiment"- Great thriller with Adrien Brody and Forest Whitaker. We grabbed this on a whim and came away enjoying it. It definitely screws with you though.

"Before the Devil Knows Your Dead"- Just a screwed up crime drama that's ended up being one of favorite movies. It's completely twisted. Movie starts out with Marisa Tomei in bed, not a bad start. Ethan Hawke and Philip Seymour-Hoffman are fantastic as is Albert Finney. I recommend this to everyone, but I have yet to find someone that likes it as much as me.

I'm right here buddy, I'm right here. :drinks:
It's sort of a modern version of the tell tale hear by poe. Ethan Hawke and Seymour our Amazing.

Oh wow I just looked up Before the Devil Knows youre Dead on Netflix and realized Ive seen it. haha. I have to agree, that was a good movie. Crazy but good in a messed up way.

I have Before the Devil... queued up on NetFlix. Sidney Lumet's last movie.

I've mentioned them in the film buff thread and I'll do it again. I highly recommend the The Red Riding Trilogy. 1974, 1980, and 1983. Really gritty British films about murder and police corruption in Northern England.

Watched The Black Dahlia the other night. I love James Ellroy, and L.A. Confidential was a great movie, but this one didn't make it. Tried too hard to be as good as China Town and fell in the crapper.

Kevin

Nice to see some other Devil fans out there. :clapp:

To all you Netflix users: Look up the movie called EXAM

It is just simply about these 8 people trying to do an exam for a job and it's just a crazy thriller. I reccomend it.

Just watched "Crazy Heart"' and it's fantastic. Jeff Bridges is amazing as is Maggie Gyllenhaal.

Also watched the Sunset Limited starring Samuel Jackson and Tommy Lee Jones. Based on a play by Cormac McCarthy - also a fabulous movie.

To all you Netflix users: Look up the movie called EXAM

It is just simply about these 8 people trying to do an exam for a job and it's just a crazy thriller. I reccomend it.

That keeps coming up on my queue. Haven't pulled the trigger. I just looked for The Experiment. The Adrien Brody version isn't available as a streaming movie. I can watch what looks like the original, a German movie from 2001, but I don't watch subtitled movies during the week for religious reasons.

Kevin

That keeps coming up on my queue. Haven't pulled the trigger. I just looked for The Experiment. The Adrien Brody version isn't available as a streaming movie. I can watch what looks like the original, a German movie from 2001, but I don't watch subtitled movies during the week for religious reasons.

Kevin

Ive never been a big subtitled movie person but on recent trips I watched both the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo and the sequel The Girl that plays with Fire. Very good movies.

Ive never been a big subtitled movie person but on recent trips I watched both the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo and the sequel The Girl that plays with Fire. Very good movies.

Subtitled is much better than dubbed. Dubbed sucks. For movies and golf shots.

I have both of those in my streaming queue.

Kevin

I watch every movie with subtitles on. One reason I am not that fond of theaters, because I miss the subtitles. It helps, especially with some of the english accents that are hard to understand.

I'm not a big fan of subtitled movies...the last one I can remember trying to watch was "Crouching Tiger". Couldn't get through it.

I watch every movie with subtitles on. One reason I am not that fond of theaters, because I miss the subtitles. It helps, especially with some of the english accents that are hard to understand.

I'm not a big fan of subtitled movies...the last one I can remember trying to watch was "Crouching Tiger". Couldn't get through it.

So you turn on subtitles for everything? But you dont like to watch subtitled movies? lol are you playing jedi mind tricks?

So you turn on subtitles for everything? But you dont like to watch subtitled movies? lol are you playing jedi mind tricks?

mind trick on us you play?

It's because while I am reading, or glancing down to see what the hell they just said, there is english dialect going on the background. I need both. Maybe I've just watched the wrong subtitled movie. I'd rather not read my movie entirely, but just read to fill in the gaps.

Kevin

Theres actually a relgion that concerns subtitles? I'd like to hear!

Do you have streaming NetFlix? Is there a way to turn on subtitles for every movie? Those Red Riding movies were kind of brutal with the northern England accents. By the third one I was getting it down, but I did a lot rewinding early on.

Kevin

It's because while I am reading, or glancing down to see what the hell they just said, there is english dialect going on the background. I need both. Maybe I've just watched the wrong subtitled movie. I'd rather not read my movie entirely, but just read to fill in the gaps.

Yeah I see what youre saying. Well, I watched zero subtitled movies before watching the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo because I hated it. But I kept reading so many good reviews about those two movies I decided to give one a shot and Im sure glad I did.

Yeah I see what youre saying. Well, I watched zero subtitled movies before watching the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo because I hated it. But I kept reading so many good reviews about those two movies I decided to give one a shot and Im sure glad I did.
I'll look into that one.

For whomever is on and reading...sound off, favorite flick. Numero Uno, no ties, no second favorites. You get to watch one movie.

"Shawshank Redemption"

I'll go with Seven. He did what we'd all do at the end, dont lie!!

No doubt...how twisted was that flick? "What's in the box?"

Truely one of those edge of your seat thrillers. And that ending and the box makes my blood boil just thinking about it. I want to break the rules already and throw Memento out there too, what a mind f*ck that movie was.

Truely one of those edge of your seat thrillers. And that ending and the box makes my blood boil just thinking about it. I want to break the rules already and throw Memento out there too, what a mind f*ck that movie was.

What was in the box? I don't remember.

Weve got Red on our radar. Thats dissapointing to hear. Agreed the Book of Eli was much better then I expected.

Saw "Red" and thought it was awful. Although Helen Mirin did a good job playing a role I never would have guessed her for. Malkovich was a genius as usual.

Saw "Book of Eli", highly recommend, thought it was well done and never would have guessed the ending.

On my radar is "127 Hours". Has anyone seen it?

Now see- I enjoyed Red. While it isn't going to win any awards, I was amused throughout the movie and found it a reasonable way to pass a couple hours. I don't know that I would buy the movie, but I was at a friends and they wanted to watch it, I certainly wouldn't object.

Back