Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

I don't think I've ever spent as much time in the fairway with this club. Does it set your swing in a rhythm at all? I like it for setting up a good second shot.

Hopefully you get to try the M1. I'd walk it over but the whole cross country thing is a concern.

You know I think thats a very good observation. The Mashie is good for the swing as it really rewards a good smooth tempo and rhythm. There is no reason to try and kill the ball as the head/shaft combo does all the work for you. Its cool dude, gas prices are going up too so Id advise against driving across country lol, but the M1 will be mine. I can teeing off with that more then anything else in my bag.

Appreciate your understanding in the matter.. $3.39 WTfranks. Anyway, I'm really starting to warm up to the M1. Like I said different sound/feel to me but on contact still feels like a Mashie. Just a little more ting to it imo. Hard to tell about distance exactly but yesterday it looked a good 20 yards or so longer than the M3 and that was with range balls. I had that penetrating ballflight but it just kept going. I just love talking the Mashie at the range or the course with other people. They never believe me when I talk about the shaft especially. Then I say, take a swing and they're hooked.

You know I think thats a very good observation. The Mashie is good for the swing as it really rewards a good smooth tempo and rhythm. There is no reason to try and kill the ball as the head/shaft combo does all the work for you. Its cool dude, gas prices are going up too so Id advise against driving across country lol, but the M1 will be mine. I can teeing off with that more then anything else in my bag.

I can tell you right now that if I had the option for the M1, I wouldn't hesitate.

Appreciate your understanding in the matter.. $3.39 WTfranks. Anyway, I'm really starting to warm up to the M1. Like I said different sound/feel to me but on contact still feels like a Mashie. Just a little more ting to it imo. Hard to tell about distance exactly but yesterday it looked a good 20 yards or so longer than the M3 and that was with range balls. I had that penetrating ballflight but it just kept going. I just love talking the Mashie at the range or the course with other people. They never believe me when I talk about the shaft especially. Then I say, take a swing and they're hooked.

I know it is off topic but I would not b*tch about $3.39 my friend. it is $0.20-$0.50 more per gal here.

Lets please keep this about the Mashie. Thanks.

I can tell you right now that if I had the option for the M1, I wouldn't hesitate.

Yup... it would be my 3wd right now.

I did for a while. But what's my name?

That picture I put up from Sunday when I GIR'ed a Mashie M3 from 212 or so, the guy I was playing with played to a number you could say lol. This was a par 4 though not a 5. But in his defense its the #1 HCP hole on the course with lots of danger. Danger that the M3 just laughed at bwahahaha

What kind of distance are you seeing out of your M2? I know you prefer the bomb n gouge approach but in your opinion, could you see the M2 as a 3wood replacement?

I know you guys can't hit the M1 in lefty, but what if it wasn't the exact same Mashie experience you're used to with the M3 or M2? What I mean by that is a somewhat different sound/feel.

I'm not arguing or saying anything wrong with that decision just curious is all.

Maybe I'm just doing something wrong with the M1 but I don't find it as automatic as the M3. I can say from the experience I've had it seems its going to be more verstatile than the 3w but I haven't had on course experience yet.

Hopefully that came out right and not as questioning your logic.

Hahaha, man I do the exact same thing on those kinds of Par 4s. If I can find a way to M3 tee/M3 approach I will. Shoot on a par 5, I would tee off with a PW if it would give me M3/M3 as my second and third haha.

I did for a while. But what's my name?

That picture I put up from Sunday when I GIR'ed a Mashie M3 from 212 or so, the guy I was playing with played to a number you could say lol. This was a par 4 though not a 5. But in his defense its the #1 HCP hole on the course with lots of danger. Danger that the M3 just laughed at bwahahaha

I know you guys can't hit the M1 in lefty, but what if it wasn't the exact same Mashie experience you're used to with the M3 or M2? What I mean by that is a somewhat different sound/feel.

I'm not arguing or saying anything wrong with that decision just curious is all.

Maybe I'm just doing something wrong with the M1 but I don't find it as automatic as the M3. I can say from the experience I've had it seems its going to be more verstatile than the 3w but I haven't had on course experience yet.

Fortunately, I'm one of the testers that enjoys being asked questions buddy, and I don't ever take it as someone questioning my logic.

It's a tough question to answer though to be honest, but I will try (it's tough b/c I just won't ever know). First off, the sound of the Mashie is just unique to me, it isn't what makes the club great to me. What makes it great to me is the high ball flight, the distance, the glide rails, the Miyazaki shaft, but most importantly, how effortlessly it is to just hit, whether it be on a tee, in the fairway, out of the rough. The M3/M2 have all those things in common with the M1. THey all have a Miyazaki shaft, they all have glide rails. THe sound and my perception of it is completely my own.

Now, this could be completely wrong if I were to ever have the chance to hit an M1 and I might be able to understand a bit better what you're experiencing.

Make sense?

I tried testing these out yesterday, but alas they still don't have any in here. I hate ordering equipment with trying first, but think I'll go ahead and pull the trigger on an M3. There's plenty of people loving these things, if I dont Im sure someone else would pick it up pretty quickly.

Well hit Mashie 4 times on Sunday.... we won't talk about the first 2. :D

#13 is 352 Par 4 that goes uphill has sorta flat landing area then runs downhill that has pond guarding the green. I had 85 left into 352 yard hole. 267yds but tee moved up maybe 15 yards=250 we will call it. I don't think I've been down that far hitting any of the other hybrids I've owned.

#18 is 440 dogleg Par 4. I had 200 left. I could have been even closer but I didn't cut corner like I planned so even then it went 240.

Pretty serious pokes man. Do you find them more forgiving than a 3w? or is it still too early to tell?

What kind of distance are you seeing out of your M2? I know you prefer the bomb n gouge approach but in your opinion, could you see the M2 as a 3wood replacement?

Well hit Mashie 4 times on Sunday.... we won't talk about the first 2. :D

#13 is 352 Par 4 that goes uphill has sorta flat landing area then runs downhill that has pond guarding the green. I had 85 left into 352 yard hole. 267yds but tee moved up maybe 15 yards=250 we will call it. I don't think I've been down that far hitting any of the other hybrids I've owned.

#18 is 440 dogleg Par 4. I had 200 left. I could have been even closer but I didn't cut corner like I planned so even then it went 240.

Its possible that it could replace my 3wd but then that means I need to get another Mashie since its being longer than I thought it would be. I might take it to friend and see if he can bend it just a little to see if can get a little more distance out of it. Plus this was first time I played with it and hit it with different grip on it on.

Pretty serious pokes man. Do you find them more forgiving than a 3w? or is it still too early to tell?

Me and a 3wd have never really got along. I usually top them or do something stupid with one in my hand. I can count on one hand of "great" shots I've hit with one. I actually topped Mashie first time tried in on the course. I was pissed at hitting tree right off the tee so I wasn't very happy to begin with. But even with 2 horrible swings I would say they are still more forgiving than a 3wd in my hands atleast!

That makes a lot of sense TC. We all have different characteristics that we value more than others. It's kind of funny because when you put the bold down, it just jumps. How much I put into the sound/feel over those other characteristics on the M1. I can't hit the M1 as effortlessly as the M3 and I was searching for why, which why I almost feel like I'm harping on the sound/feel. My session today will be with a different perspective. I'm going to be looking at M1 characteristics vs a 3w if I'm looking to replace as I did M3 vs 3H.

Great insight TC.

Fortunately, I'm one of the testers that enjoys being asked questions buddy, and I don't ever take it as someone questioning my logic.

It's a tough question to answer though to be honest, but I will try (it's tough b/c I just won't ever know). First off, the sound of the Mashie is just unique to me, it isn't what makes the club great to me. What makes it great to me is the high ball flight, the distance, the glide rails, the Miyazaki shaft, but most importantly, how effortlessly it is to just hit, whether it be on a tee, in the fairway, out of the rough. The M3/M2 have all those things in common with the M1. THey all have a Miyazaki shaft, they all have glide rails. THe sound and my perception of it is completely my own.

Now, this could be completely wrong if I were to ever have the chance to hit an M1 and I might be able to understand a bit better what you're experiencing.

Make sense?

That makes a lot of sense TC. We all have different characteristics that we value more than others. It's kind of funny because when you put the bold down, it just jumps. How much I put into the sound/feel over those other characteristics on the M1. I can't hit the M1 as effortlessly as the M3 and I was searching for why, which why I almost feel like I'm harping on the sound/feel. My session today will be with a different perspective. I'm going to be looking at M1 characteristics vs a 3w if I'm looking to replace as I did M3 vs 3H.

Great insight TC.

No worries man.....based on the fact that I have played golf with you, you hit your 3wood quite well actually, so perhaps the M1 has a bit of "pressure" from you to perform?

Again, just asking questions here.

I think the M1 is not automate too. I have only had it on the range once, but I struggled controlling it more than the M3. The M3 is so easy and the M1 takes some patience I think. I was hitting the M1 better of of a tee, rather than the ground. I hope to make it to the range tomorrow and I will post what kind of results I get. On a great note, I did get some of my M1 ground shots to hit like a Mashie should! There is hope and I think it will just take a little bit of getting used to.

I think the M1 is not automate too. I have only had it on the range once, but I struggled controlling it more than the M3. The M3 is so easy and the M1 takes some patience I think. I was hitting the M1 better of of a tee, rather than the ground. I hope to make it to the range tomorrow and I will post what kind of results I get. On a great note, I did get some of my M1 ground shots to hit like a Mashie should! There is hope and I think it will just take a little bit of getting used to.

The video you provided, was that the M1? If so, it sounded similar to the Mashie sound I'm use to.

Great insight TC.

I think thats a good idea. Id go out and tee up the M1 just a little as if you were going to tee off with it and see how it performs. How consistent can you hit in the FW? What kind of distance do you get? And how manageable are you misses? Sunday my misses with the 3W killed me. One was OB and the other into trees and short. My miss with the 3W is almost always push out to the right. So Id look for the M1 to provide me the same distance but with less danger / more confidence.

The video you provided, was that the M1? If so, it sounded similar to the Mashie sound I'm use to.

It was the M1. It does sound just like all the other Mashies. I just think the loft is not as forgiving. I imagine the M5 is one of the easiest clubs to hit. (I have never hit one though) One thing for sure is that I hit the M1 better than my 3w and that is what I want to achieve anyway.

It was the M1. It does sound just like all the other Mashies. I just think the loft is not as forgiving. I imagine the M5 is one of the easiest clubs to hit. (I have never hit one though) One thing for sure is that I hit the M1 better than my 3w and that is what I want to achieve anyway.

And that's all that really matters. Like all golf clubs, some take longer to adjust to than others. Keep up the good work and the practice and it'll come around I'm sure of it.

I absolutely love my 3w. It's a beast for me to be honest. I reshafted it and have a bit more control, maybe not as far but I love the control. You're absolutely right about the pressure. All I could think about was Mashie like ease of use, with 3w like distance. When I do hit it well its all that and more.

No worries man.....based on the fact that I have played golf with you, you hit your 3wood quite well actually, so perhaps the M1 has a bit of "pressure" from you to perform?

Again, just asking questions here.

I'm gonna try the tee for sure. I am usually hesitant but after the last time out on grass (Sunday) I found teeing up was a good thing! Patience is a virtue. Are you finding about 20 yards or so difference as well?

Ill see if I can get some video. I was just talking about getting a flip haha.

And that's all that really matters. Like all golf clubs, some take longer to adjust to than others. Keep up the good work and the practice and it'll come around I'm sure of it.

Yeah I know, I just need to get to the range more. Life has hit a busy point right now and I am just trying to hang on. As long as I can include some golf or range time in life I stay grounded. What a great stress reliever the Mashie is! You can just go out there and bang away at the balls and get beautiful results! I love it.

Good thoughs OEM! I'm so ready to leave work now and get my Mashie's on.

I think thats a good idea. Id go out and tee up the M1 just a little as if you were going to tee off with it and see how it performs. How consistent can you hit in the FW? What kind of distance do you get? And how manageable are you misses? Sunday my misses with the 3W killed me. One was OB and the other into trees and short. My miss with the 3W is almost always push out to the right. So Id look for the M1 to provide me the same distance but with less danger / more confidence.

Back