Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

I'm really ill with myself over my attempt at regripping my Mashies last night. They arrived yesterday and I was going to hit them today. I knew from about 20 pages back that there was some conversation on the fact that the shaft butt diameter was a bit bigger and it might be a bit tougher to regrip. Anyway, I cut off the stock grip and start trying to but my WinnLite Midsize on it...I can't even get it started. So I keep fooling with it, and never do get it on.

So I go mack to the interwebs and start doing more research on my options. The 58g C Kua shaft has a 0.650" butt end diameter (where most are 0.580" or 0.600") and there are only a couple of grip options I can see anywhere...both of which are just similar versions to the stock grip.

Anyway, I have two new "stock" grips on the way, and two beautiful, unhit, ungripped Mashies sitting in the corner on a beautiful sunny day. Argh!!

So let this serve as a warning to pay attention to the shaft diameters when you are trying to regrip a club. I believe that all the 58g Mashies, the Cleveland FW and the 270 and 290 drivers have the same diameter which is larger than standard.

Good info buddy and I am sure it will help many of us to not make the same mistake. Let us know the brand of the "stock" grips you ordered, that do fit the Miyazaki shaft.

hope you get to hit them sooner rather than later AD!!!
I'm really ill with myself over my attempt at regripping my Mashies last night. They arrived yesterday and I was going to hit them today. I knew from about 20 pages back that there was some conversation on the fact that the shaft butt diameter was a bit bigger and it might be a bit tougher to regrip. Anyway, I cut off the stock grip and start trying to but my WinnLite Midsize on it...I can't even get it started. So I keep fooling with it, and never do get it on.

So I go mack to the interwebs and start doing more research on my options. The 58g C Kua shaft has a 0.650" butt end diameter (where most are 0.580" or 0.600") and there are only a couple of grip options I can see anywhere...both of which are just similar versions to the stock grip.

Anyway, I have two new "stock" grips on the way, and two beautiful, unhit, ungripped Mashies sitting in the corner on a beautiful sunny day. Argh!!

So let this serve as a warning to pay attention to the shaft diameters when you are trying to regrip a club. I believe that all the 58g Mashies, the Cleveland FW and the 270 and 290 drivers have the same diameter which is larger than standard.

Wow, thanks for the info Ad. Sorry to hear these will be sitting for a few days.

sorry to hear about that AD. Maybe I will stick it out with the stock grip for a while see if it grows on me. Hanks have you regripped your mashie with the multicompound grip yet?

Just back and I can't split the two! Both similar distance and trajectory,the Superfast is lower profile like a small fairway shape while the Mashie is more rescue mid like,i think the mashie will last longer as the white paint on the superfast on the sole may wear away.The superfast defo feels lighter than the Mashie.Hmm decisions!

The torture!! Sorry to hear that man and after reading that I now like the stock grip, a lot lol

That's great info I was getting ready to regrip as well now I'll wait

I've had mine regripped and haven't had any issues or performance loss as of yet

That's great info I was getting ready to regrip as well now I'll wait

I've had mine regripped and haven't had any issues or performance loss as of yet

+1 I've regripped with winn lite grips and the performance has been great, if not better than before just due to liking the grip more.

Did it mess with the weight at all for you? I like the grip plenty but I know it wont last forever.

I wonder how much a pure grip will change the swing weight of the club. I think they weight around 53g.

AD I just read your post and I don't know how much experience you have installling grips but it is possible to get a grip on. I put 4 wraps of tape under a reg size grip and after a lot of swearing and hard work its on their and I couldn't be happier. I'd give it another shot man if you can, once you get the first half inch or so on, its butter from there.

I put on GP New Decades that feel really really nice In fact I think they help me get the club through the ball nicely
+1 I've regripped with winn lite grips and the performance has been great, if not better than before just due to liking the grip more.

Not that I've noticed and I'm definitely a 'feel' player even though I get razzed for it sometimes. The best part is I can always change the grip out if I were to have issues for whatever reason
Did it mess with the weight at all for you? I like the grip plenty but I know it wont last forever.

As far as the options I found, it looked like Lamkin had three choices, two specifically for Cleveland Replacement Grips called the Launcher Superlite (which I think is the stock grop - 36g) and 2010 Launcher (which is a touch heavier at 40g), and one Miyazaki branded one (46g).

I did a quick search of the Golf Pride and Winn websites and didn't see anything for a 0.650" diameter, so it looks like the options are minimal for something in the right size. Other grips or grippers might have better luck getting a smaller diameter grip on, but my skills or tools aren't that good.

I ended up buying the 2010 Launcher one from Golfsmith (like $4.99 each). They have it labeled as a Cleveland Golf grip, but it looks the same as the Lamkin to me. The ones on the Lamkin site were all $7.99 and shipping was pretty bad.

I'm the say way and there are just somethings that can feel off to me. Grips just happen to be one of those.

Don't get me wrong, I'm digging the grip but I really want a uniform grip on all my clubs if I can. I'm pondering changing on the Mashie but we will see. Good to know it hasn't impacted anything for you.

I put on GP New Decades that feel really really nice In fact I think they help me get the club through the ball nicely

Not that I've noticed and I'm definitely a 'feel' player even though I get razzed for it sometimes. The best part is I can always change the grip out if I were to have issues for whatever reason

AD I just read your post and I don't know how much experience you have installling grips but it is possible to get a grip on. I put 4 wraps of tape under a reg size grip and after a lot of swearing and hard work its on their and I couldn't be happier. I'd give it another shot man if you can, once you get the first half inch or so on, its butter from there.

I've probably regripped 6-7 sets of irons, so I've done it a bit, but not a pro. I eventually was able to get the bottom of the grip on the club, but couldn't get it to go more than the half inch. I may have broken the inside of the grip getting it on that far. I can't even imagine trying it with four wraps of tape CB.

I've probably regripped 6-7 sets of irons, so I've done it a bit, but not a pro. I eventually was able to get the bottom of the grip on the club, but couldn't get it to go more than the half inch. I may have broken the inside of the grip getting it on that far. I can't even imagine trying it with four wraps of tape CB.

I hear you, and I wouldn't try it again. I have two winn lite midsize grips on the way for the next time I regrip the mashie, I won't be doing the wraps of tape again, that was brutal.

Exactly my reasoning as well. I want all my clubs to feel the same way if possible starting with the grip.
I'm the say way and there are just somethings that can feel off to me. Grips just happen to be one of those.

Don't get me wrong, I'm digging the grip but I really want a uniform grip on all my clubs if I can. I'm pondering changing on the Mashie but we will see. Good to know it hasn't impacted anything for you.

Thats why I'm a little scared of regripping haha. I know a little obsessive. I use the M3 to get into a good rhythm, so if the grip is different on the others its a small adjustment but one nonetheless.

Exactly my reasoning as well. I want all my clubs to feel the same way if possible starting with the grip.

I think the Mashie is grip agnostic....it will help you with your adjustment Yoccos
Thats why I'm a little scared of regripping haha. I know a little obsessive. I use the M3 to get into a good rhythm, so if the grip is different on the others its a small adjustment but one nonetheless.

I just regripped my irons and the grip I chose feels similar to the Mashie so I do not intent to change the stock grip, at least not right now.

I like the stock grip. Not something I would've normally played and is a pretty good introduction.

I just regripped my irons and the grip I chose feels similar to the Mashie so I do not intent to change the stock grip, at least not right now.

I dunno, I hear you guys about having the same grips but the Mashie works so well how it is Im scared to fudge with it. Like, if it works dont change it kind of thing. I find the stock grip is good not great but its not that bad that I want to mess with the Mashie mojo.

I dunno, I hear you guys about having the same grips but the Mashie works so well how it is Im scared to fudge with it. Like, if it works dont change it kind of thing. I find the stock grip is good not great but its not that bad that I want to mess with the Mashie mojo.

that's pretty much how I feel OEM. I don't think its a great grip, but I'm not going to tinker with it just yet

Back