On course lessons

Golf Chick

Golf Fashionista
Reaction score
Handicap
Decreasing
What's everyone's thoughts on this? With my previous instructor, we'd combine several lessons together and she would do lessons from the course. I actually liked it. However, my current instructor doesn't have the time because he sees lessons 8am-8am all day everyday....

Since I have my lessons tonight, I was thinking of asking him if he could reccomend someone? maybe? :confused2:

Never had lessons but I would like the on course style much better.

My teacher does playing lessons and they are great. It is more about course management than swing. I like having him critique what I'm doing and thinking. Big part of playing well is making correct decisions. These types of lesson are invaluable to me.

I'm thinking of asking my instructor if he could recommend anyone that does on course lessons. I cannot go back (and shouldn't go back) to my previous instructor because my current instructor is correcting everything that my previous instructor had taught me!

I'm thinking of asking my instructor if he could recommend anyone that does on course lessons. I cannot go back (and shouldn't go back) to my previous instructor because my current instructor is correcting everything that my previous instructor had taught me!

I'm surprised he doesn't do them. Course management is so important. If you like your current instructor, I would beg him to play at least nine with you when the course is slow. I guess they all have different things that are important to them as teachers.

I'm surprised he doesn't do them. Course management is so important. If you like your current instructor, I would beg him to play at least nine with you when the course is slow. I guess they all have different things that are important to them as teachers.

I asked him about it last week, he said that he's just too busy with lessons that he doesn't have time to do on course lessons. And he can't start either, because if he did it with me, then he'd have to do it with all of his students. So I guess I'm kind of stuck :(

I asked him about it last week, he said that he's just too busy with lessons that he doesn't have time to do on course lessons. And he can't start either, because if he did it with me, then he'd have to do it with all of his students. So I guess I'm kind of stuck :(

Understand. It is sad :(

For me, on course instruction has helped as much, if not more, than the lessons with my instructor on the mat with video. I take 'indoor' lessons from a great instructor plus I am fortunate enough to have a scratch golfer to learn course management from. He is a young guy just out of school so the deal I made with him is cover his greens fees and he gives me instruction while we play a round together. In my experience, learning course management has been just as important as working on my fundamentals off the mat. To be specific, the on course instruction has helped my game A LOT around the greens.

For me, on course instruction has helped as much, if not more, than the lessons with my instructor on the mat with video. I take 'indoor' lessons from a great instructor plus I am fortunate enough to have a scratch golfer to learn course management from. He is a young guy just out of school so the deal I made with him is cover his greens fees and he gives me instruction while we play a round together. In my experience, learning course management has been just as important as working on my fundamentals off the mat. To be specific, the on course instruction has helped my game A LOT around the greens.

To each his own but indoor lessons can be a scary thing. Does he teach you outdoors as well? Just curious (not trying to be funny)

If you want help with course management maybe playing with people who are better than you are (not necessarily a teacher) could help?

If you want help with course management maybe playing with people who are better than you are (not necessarily a teacher) could help?

Done that...not very helpful. I guess it could also be the people that we play with, LOL!!

Done that...not very helpful. I guess it could also be the people that we play with, LOL!!

Yeah - it would have to be the right person.

I know where you're coming from GC. It's one thing to work on something on the range and it's another to take it to the course. I've taken a few lessons over the winter and my next one will be a playing lesson. I hope your current instructor can recommend someone for you to take a playing lesson with.

I know where you're coming from GC. It's one thing to work on something on the range and it's another to take it to the course. I've taken a few lessons over the winter and my next one will be a playing lesson. I hope your current instructor can recommend someone for you to take a playing lesson with.

That's what I'm hoping!! He's got friends at a lot of other golf courses, so we'll see. I don't really want to go back to my previous instructor as she wasn't really much help! I'd like to go back to her for putting, though! She was great in that part of the game!

To each his own but indoor lessons can be a scary thing. Does he teach you outdoors as well? Just curious (not trying to be funny)

define "a scary thing". And yes, he offers on course lessons.

I love the fact that my coach takes me on play lessons. I've learned a lot from them and he can see my game in action and see more than just what I'm doing on the range. It is very helpful for us both.

I don't really know what you mean by "scary"- without video and other feedback, I can see "grooving" a bad swing, but when you are looking at the mechanics of the swing and being in better/more efficient positions throughout the swing I think they can be really effective. Besides, in our climates, it is a way to refine your swing and continue to improve during the winter months.

the solution is to book a block of time from him at a course he gives lessons at and during that time have him watch you play 3 holes
an hour would be key and he'd only have to be with you maybe 45 mins...
then book another lesson for his eval of what he saw on the course
that one could be a 1/2 hr block of time

Back