Short Hitter - How Good Can I Expect to Get?

They were actually talking about playing from the correct tee box. Like playing the white or middle tee box instead of the backs. No reason to make the game any harder. I never play the back tees.

Tapatalk: even for walkers

Oh, right, that makes a lot of sense, thanks.

That is interesting advice. I'll have to try that x38 mathematical formula sometime. I've always just played somewhere in the middle tees.

As for playing par 3s within my ability. My local course has greens that are horribly small, the greens are hard as a rock, and typically slant heavily to one side or another. The real kicker is that the par 3 distances are 75-80 (this par 3 has never been measured, my course sucks), 190, 200, 220, and 225. I only have one choice of tees.

Man, sometimes living in rural Iowa sucks.

well the good thing is you'll never have to worry about the dueche in the srixon commercial (the "call miss daisy we got a driver" that guy)

in all seriousness i'm short as well and i echo the thoughts in this thread. It's about accuracy and short game short game short game and more short game, not distance.

for the play the upper tee's, to me that's situation dependent. If you only play for fun, then use whatever tee's make the game the most fun, no harm no foul. Now for me, as a very short hitter, i like (and want to do more) play competively and that means you play the tee's they tell you. Also i'm a young guy and i've got that whole stubborn pride thing going so i'll play the harder tee's even if it means i have to hit 3 iron instead of 7 iron in. I know i won't be able to score and play the holes the way they're intended to, but that's my fault for not hitting it far enough and i think it's good because i have to work at getting better in the all important short game in order to play well.

i feel it makes me a better golfer. anyone can make par going driver-wedge, it takes skill to go driver-4 iron and score. at least that's why i keep telling myself when i'm being out driven by 20 yards :D

...actually that brings me to another point, i feel being short has helped me in that regard. A lot of guys get hung up on length (that's what she said, dang it michael scott), and it can mess with their mental game if they're playing someone and getting out driven, or not driving to the length they're used to. It can get in their head and screw them up. Not only that but then guys aren't as good with their other clubs because they're used to hitting high lofted 9's and wedges into the green, they can't adjust and play longer irons into the green. I get out driven routinely, sometimes by a lot and it doesn't bother me in the least, it's not something that even enters my mind to effect my confidence the way it can longer hitters.

I think it allows me to focus even more on my game without being distracted by what others because i'm not playing the same game they are, you know?

Last year I was helping to coach some middle schoolers and got in the habbit of bringing a 6 iron with me to use for demonstrations etc. One day we went out for some on course practice and I decided to play along using only that one club(even when putting). Amazingly I was able to shoot the same 9 hole score as I had with my full set. Although I couldn't hit the long par 4's in 2, I stayed out of trouble, had to really think through my shots, pick my spots and felt no pressure to bomb it. It really changed the way I think about the game, took the pressure off of my tee shots and caused me to drop 3 strokes from my index.

I used to think this was impossible until I joined a twelve man group and watched a 65 year old man routinely shoot low 70's (under par rounds thrown in) never hitting a driver farther than 220. He was a wizard from 100 yards in though. Best hands I've ever seen. Will you ever make the tour? Probably not, but you should have no problem shooting good scores from the whites at most public courses.

That is exactly what I was going to say. I have played with some of my dads friends and even my dad and they never hit the ball over 220 but yet they score in the 70's they ship everything close and putt lights out. Its amazing to watch. There is a guy at our club thats about 79 years old or older he hits the ball 190 to 200 and shoots his age.

Absolutely play a shorter tee. Most amateur golfers are not as long hitting as they think and should be playing from closer tees than they do. I average around 240 with my driver. I try to play around 6,300 yards. Will stretch to 6,500 if that is the only next option (meaning the next shorter drops to 6,000 or shorter).

The par 3 length - previously mentioned - is a good way to pick a tee. If you think that you can truly hit 2 of the 4 greens on the par 3s with an average shot (meaning you miss left or right, not come up short) then those might be good tees. If you have to hit long irons or woods realistically to hit the par 3s from a certain tee you should move up.

Ego tends to ruin the fun of a round that would be a lot more enjoyable to everyone - and faster - if played from closer tees.

I have seen a few comments here on using the proper tee, that is very interesting. How do I determine what the proper sized tee is?
Golf Digest had a formula in one of their issues, I don't remember which one. Take the distance you hit your 5-iron, let's say it's 150 yards like our OP, and multiply it by 36. In this case our OP should be playing from around 5400 yards. This will also give him the opportunity to make some birdies. Why not hit some GIR's, make some putts and have some fun? Too much ego involved in golf, as Pen said.

<stands up>

"Hi, my name is Ken and I too am a short hitter..."

Thanks to the OP for bringing this up. I too have had some of the same concerns about the future of my game.

As far as the "times 38" thing- I'm not so sure. On a good day, I'm hitting the 7i about 130 yds. which means I should be playing no longer than 4940? I only know of one course in my area that short only because there are no par 5s.

Playing the wrong tees also foils some of the design features the architect intended you to play. For example, if playing the back tees means the fairway hazards don't come into play for you, even with driver, there is an element of risk and reward that is missing from the game. Golf was meant to be a game of decisions and not being forced to choose between laying up or challenging a hazard takes something away from the fun.

my home course is one of the longer ones in this area
the tips are 7100-7200
and the fronts are 4800-4900
with 5 sets of tee boxes
my avg teeshot is 230 with some much less and a few a lil bit more
i have played every teebox on the course at one time or another and it is very surprising that i score almost exactly the same give or take a few strokes
it just really sucks from the tips when you have to tee off with driver on 2 of the par 3's hahaha

then theres my brothers course that length wise it seems like you dont even need driver at all
and the par3s from the tips are like 170
butttttt... i know single digit guys that have a rough time at this course cuz its ridiculously hard

that being said i think accuracy is the most important aspect for a short hitter or anyone in that matter
ive played with some ridiculously long hitters and only a few of them really impressed me because they could not miss
then ive played with long hitters that have no business playing the tips cuz they had the distance but def not the direction and were hitting 3 off the tee or mulligans all the time
i like to be able to hit mid irons and shorter for my approach shots and not be a 4w away from the green everytime i tee off... it just puts too much pressure and when things arent going well it doesnt make the game any fun
so ill play from the 6100-6200 range depending on how hard the course is

golf is supposed to be fun

I'm liking this thread. It's nice to see that I'm not the only short hitter out there. Just played my first round of the year on a very wet course and my drives carried about 192 and plugged every time. Guess it's time for me to focus on the short game.

Wait this is the internet. I thought everybody hit the ball 280-300. I know that is my 5 iron.

I have a buddy that only gets 210-220 off the tee due to a bad back and he shoots in the 70's. His short game is nasty and that's what he practices the most.

Sounds like me. Not a power hitter but I love hitting wedges and putting. I have a power fade and with that I hit about 220, but straight shots go 260. 5 iron is about 170-175 for me. I shoot low 80s right now. It doesn't matter how far or hard you hit the ball, what matters is how many shots it takes you to get it in the hole. If you're uncomfortable with long irons, get 3-5 iron hybrids. You will be as good as you make yourself, thats always been my philosophy. And that is what it will always be. Then, the more you practice, the luckier you get (Thank you Gary Player). :D

Wait this is the internet. I thought everybody hit the ball 280-300. I know that is my 5 iron.
This may be the internet, but THIS is THP where integrity still counts for something. LOL

This may be the internet, but THIS is THP where integrity still counts for something. LOL

I agree completely. In my world, that of a celebrity, integrity is especially important. I find it is especially important when dealing with Ferrari dealers and foreign diplomats.

And I bet thats into a 30mph wind too ;D

A good way to judge which tees are best for you is to look at the par 3 holes. If you feel like the yardage is within your ability then play those tees. If it's too far then maybe move up a tee.
Tapatalk: even for walkers

I agree and, our PGA Pro has always said if you can't reach the par 4's in two, consider moving up to make the game more fun.

My thoughts exactly, I sure don't sniff at a 200-220 drive. Thats about my range and I am often the longball in the group. I freely admit to having the highest card at the end too, consistently. If I could get a nice tight 200-225 drive I'd lock it down in a heartbeat. Then I could concentrate more on fairway and shortgame work.

i say if absolutely none of your teeshots get past 200-230 there might be a problem that needs to be fixed
there's a member of our course that can barely walk and has 2 bum knees and he's still a single digit and can pop drives in the 250 range
heck ive popped a few good ones... just wish it was more my avg to pop it that way alot more
i know i got it in me it just doesnt wanna show up every time i tee off hahaha

<stands up>

"Hi, my name is Ken and I too am a short hitter..."

Ken, that's really funny.

My club is full of a bunch of older guys who have handicaps that range between 6 - 12.

Besides the fact that they are retired and have grey (or no) hair, here is what they have in common:

1. They don't hit the ball very far, but they are very straight from the tee. They never hit into any trouble, tee shots are ALWAYS in the middle of the fairway.

2. They carry many fairway woods and hybrids.

3. They hit a lot of layups, and never into greenside bunkers.

4. They have really strong short games, and can hit a variety of different shots, depending upon conditions (lie, wind, turf conditions, etc).

5. They can really putt, especially when needing to lag it.

6. They seldom 3-putt. Why? See 3, 4, and 5 above.

When the match is over and we are enjoying an adult beverage in the lounge afterwards, they seldom have to pay for their drinks.

Most of us can learn a lesson or two from these older gentlemen.

I believe John Daly lead the tour for six or eight years running in driving distance and never won..........More food for thought.

This is such a great thread. There is such an emphasis on distance in golf. I always felt pretty insecure about the length of my drives. I found the real difference between myself and those I used to play with was the fact that I actually counted all my strokes. They hit farther than me to the left and the right but would conveniently "forget" to count their penalty strokes and flubbed shots out of the rough. I'm just fine with my short honest game.

I used to play with an old timer who was not much longer than you off the tee and I would blow it by him off the tee. He'd then hit his long iron/ 3 wood into the green, I'd have a wedge and he'd be closer to the pin. He'd proceed to kick my butt and break 80 every round. He'd play back too. Play your game, get better at things you can improve (irons, putting, short game) and don't look at it as a limitation. You can get really good not being very long.

This is such a great thread. There is such an emphasis on distance in golf. I always felt pretty insecure about the length of my drives. I found the real difference between myself and those I used to play with was the fact that I actually counted all my strokes. They hit farther than me to the left and the right but would conveniently "forget" to count their penalty strokes and flubbed shots out of the rough. I'm just fine with my short honest game.

Marketing, ego's and watching the PGA is why many are hooked on distance. I would love to have another 50 yards a hole in the middle of the fairway, but it is what it is. I'm not twenty anymore. I'll take straight over long anyday.

This gives me encouragement I'm not very long bec of my disability but tee to green is pretty good approach shots are good I would like to 2 putt @ worst 100 pct of the time we will see this year, goal is to have every round under 100

Back