rickp

Reaction score
Handicap
I am in the market for a new putter and play on relatively fast greens. The putter I am looking at comes in either 340 grams or 360 grams. Which would be better for faster greens?

A local pro told me a lighter putter on slow greens and a heavier putter on fast greens. His thoughts on the subject were you have more distance control over a heavier putter as it gives you more feel.

I seem to hit heavier putters shorter than lighter putters (If I was using the same stroke) so I would play the heavier putter since it would be about the right speed. But that is just for me, it could be completely different for you. I would recommend just going with a weight that you like the feel of the best then adjusting to it and learning how to hit it the proper speeds on the course no matter the weight.

A local pro told me a lighter putter on slow greens and a heavier putter on fast greens. His thoughts on the subject were you have more distance control over a heavier putter as it gives you more feel.

I've actually been told the opposite by a golf pro :banghead:

I was told the lighter putter would give me better control with the quick greens because less weight means less force exerted by the putter, thus giving the golfer more control

I'm so old school and have always used lighter 320/330 gram heads all my life and play where our greens are like putting on concrete, super fast. I like lighter weight for fast greens, but I have never really played anything near 350/360 that seems to be the standard today (for whatever reason). Putting is so subjective, there is not a right answer.

I have been playing 340 to 350 on all greens, fast or slow successfully. I only change where where I grip the putter, lower for fast higher for slower. It works for me.

355-375 is my preferred wheelhouse.

This past year I paid more attention to head weight. The 2010 Kia Ma has adjustable weights so it is pretty easy to get above 350 and depending on the starting raw weight can get above 360. I am finding I like a heavier head weight. Now I counter that with a heavier weight shaft, true temper 200gr. The over all heavy makes me, in my thinking, use the shoulders more than the wrists. So far so good.

I've actually been told the opposite by a golf pro :banghead:

I was told the lighter putter would give me better control with the quick greens because less weight means less force exerted by the putter, thus giving the golfer more control

Yeahh I've also heard lighter putters are for more control from a pro. I guess ultimately is just what works the best for you.

Back