Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver

I really struggled with the driver early in the year, but I can't say enough good things about the Flash SZ's forgiveness. I've had plenty of mishits end up in places that I would have been plenty happy with when I hit good shots with the Rogue SZ last year.

I really struggled with the driver early in the year, but I can't say enough good things about the Flash SZ's forgiveness. I've had plenty of mishits end up in places that I would have been plenty happy with when I hit good shots with the Rogue SZ last year.
Good to hear! Hopefully I can turn it around.

Purchased an Epic Flash Sub Zero on Tuesday as I found this section of the forum and I have never really read a bad thing about them. One of the main reasons I purchased was I needed a new shaft in my M1 as it was a regular flex and I definitely needed to be in a stiff flex. Played my first round with it yesterday and I'm hoping that some adjusting needs to be done because I wasn't overly impressed. I felt a bit erratic off the tee but I do understand it was my first round out with it so I'm hoping a few adjustments will help. I bought it off the used rack at the local golf shop so it has a Project X Evenflow blue which I have in my 3 wood and love. Hoping to get out on Monday or this weekend and hit a few balls or play a quick nine to see if anything changes.

May also help to figure out the adjustments I can do on the club. That stuff is foreign to me.

Were the misses strike related? Were you missing one direction over another? Could be that you need to get used to the new stick. Also, if the shaft is stiffer than what you have been using, your timing may be a little off.

I will say that the Epic Flash SZ is pretty dang forgiving for a smaller footprint and low spin model. But, it doesn't fit everybody. Without knowing anything about your game, I would say give it some time. Like you said, figure out the adjustments and see if that can help correct some of the misses.

Were the misses strike related? Were you missing one direction over another? Could be that you need to get used to the new stick. Also, if the shaft is stiffer than what you have been using, your timing may be a little off.

I will say that the Epic Flash SZ is pretty dang forgiving for a smaller footprint and low spin model. But, it doesn't fit everybody. Without knowing anything about your game, I would say give it some time. Like you said, figure out the adjustments and see if that can help correct some of the misses.
Ball flight seemed to always start off straight but then it would slowly start slicing. I always seemed to be hitting the slice which was frustrating. I'm trying to avoid just lining up with the idea that I'm going to slice the ball because I feel like that is a crutch instead of trying to actually fix the issue.

Ball flight seemed to always start off straight but then it would slowly start slicing. I always seemed to be hitting the slice which was frustrating. I'm trying to avoid just lining up with the idea that I'm going to slice the ball because I feel like that is a crutch instead of trying to actually fix the issue.

If the ball seems to be falling off to the right, I would start by moving the sliding weight all the way to the heel of the club. See what that does for your ball flight. If it needs some more correction, you can place the hosel in the D position which would make it play more upright giving it some more draw bias.

I know I am late to the party, but boy...what a club! I tried the standard epic flash at 10.5 and I am stunned with what I am seeing.
Just to give you guys some background, I am 16 handicap with a SS in the low 90’s. Driver is usually my weakness. I have a OTT swing and I routinely hit pull slices.
I hit all over the face but the middle and I am usually a low ball hitter. I usually hit it around 220 and not straight.
I spend two range sessions with this beast and I cant believe what I am seeing: High, fairly straight, long shots. My mishits are going further than my previous “good shots “ and the good ones go insane distances.
cant help but feel confident with this beauty.

I have been playing my Sub zero now for about 2 months and what amazes me bedsides great distance is the tighter dispersion. I literally have not hit one drive OB or in trouble the past 8 weeks. Not sure if a combination of shaft being good fit but putting an easy, in balance swing, the ball just flies straight with slight fade.

I am typically a slight draw flight but for me (in maximum draw setting) I am either straight or slight fade. Took about half a dozen rounds to find optimum settings but now is gold. Unfortunately it appears my season is finished as I jammed elbow a few weeks ago and have tried playing twice but elbow pain is unbelievable despite PT. Cortisone shot next Wednesday and with post layoff we’re talking November at earliest and temperatures start dropping like a rock up here. Lots of good memories with this driver to tide me over until spring.

Not getting as much as I’d like out of the Tensei blue 65, have a 55 Evenflow Green on the way. I loved the green in one store session, but my trusted fitter didn’t offer it up when I bought, I don’t think they had one with a LH adapter.

I actually reserved an Epic Flash SZ 9* with a Tensei AV Blue 75X shaft. I would have picked it up today, but I didn't have my trade in clubs in the car. So I'll have to pick it up tomorrow after my tournament round.

Most that know me know I struggle with a leaky fade that will turn into a slice at the drop of a hat. So I don’t pull driver often, just to try to keep the local backyards safe.

However, when I can play this driver and keep it in play...the results are just amazing. I had one yesterday that just made me giggle. Long and straight, and right down the pipe. It truly is a fantastic club when I don’t screw up my swing.

I love my Flash. Only thing I have had my mind on lately is trading it for a Sub Zero head. The desire to tinker is strong.

How many of you guys have cut it down to a shorter length? As the off season approaches here, I am considering a little tinkering with it like length, making it more upright (D setting?) and loft. Mine is an Epic Flash 9’degree. Have it set on +2, N/S, weight slightly toward draw side. Miss is low left or high right push with more of an upright swing. But I will say, the misses are not as bad and are longer than any driver before. Tend to use irons 1-2 degrees up, 45” drivers in the past. Appreciate any insights or feedback ?

How many of you guys have cut it down to a shorter length? As the off season approaches here, I am considering a little tinkering with it like length, making it more upright (D setting?) and loft. Mine is an Epic Flash 9’degree. Have it set on +2, N/S, weight slightly toward draw side. Miss is low left or high right push with more of an upright swing. But I will say, the misses are not as bad and are longer than any driver before. Tend to use irons 1-2 degrees up, 45” drivers in the past. Appreciate any insights or feedback ?
I actually bought a 3 wood EvenFlow Black shaft and stuck it in mine (I love it). The Flash FW adaptors will not work for that, but any other FW Callaway has made has the same adapter as the Flash Drivers.

I alternate between 44.5” BB7 and 45” Evenflow black. For whatever reason, I’m more OTT with 45.5 or longer. My last round was with the ProjectX and loved the combo fwiw.

I know I am late to the party, but boy...what a club! I tried the standard epic flash at 10.5 and I am stunned with what I am seeing.
Just to give you guys some background, I am 16 handicap with a SS in the low 90’s. Driver is usually my weakness. I have a OTT swing and I routinely hit pull slices.
I hit all over the face but the middle and I am usually a low ball hitter. I usually hit it around 220 and not straight.
I spend two range sessions with this beast and I cant believe what I am seeing: High, fairly straight, long shots. My mishits are going further than my previous “good shots “ and the good ones go insane distances.
cant help but feel confident with this beauty.

This sounds familiar as far as the swing and the ball flight although I tend to hit more of a fade as opposed to a slice after the pull start.

I have been interested in the Epic and will likely hit one in the next couple weeks. I hope I get similar results.

Picked this up today, and I've already shortened it a little and changed the grip. If it performs on the course anything like it has the half dozen times I've tested it on a gcquad, it'll stay in the bag for a long time. Finished length 45", finished swingweight is just short of D5.
ce06105266aa8d7a974eb384431d6329.jpg
cfd745e4d6f5427842171f6d7f38d631.jpg
7d3b79eebe4ab7afba9203a1beec4d4d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

kevin81002,
How did you manage to get D5 sw after cutting length down to 45”?
Thanks.
Mike

Not getting as much as I’d like out of the Tensei blue 65, have a 55 Evenflow Green on the way. I loved the green in one store session, but my trusted fitter didn’t offer it up when I bought, I don’t think they had one with a LH adapter.

Love the Evenflo Green, have your identical shaft in my SZ and it is stellar. Best of luck with the new shaft.

It was a little sketchy at first, but I changed it to +1 & the results are really good.

kevin81002,
How did you manage to get D5 sw after cutting length down to 45”?
Thanks.
Mike
On my scale, it was D7 at the stock 45.5" length with the stock mcc align grip, most likely due to the weight and profile of the shaft. The grip and tape weighed 59g. The new microsuede midsize and tape weighed 56g. Basically, D7 cut down 1/2" becomes around D4. And take 3g off the grip weight and it came in at like D4.7ish.

The usual tensei shaft that comes with the EF is 65g and I believe stock sw for the EF is D4. So I'm sure the extra shaft weight with the 75g shaft affected the swingweight.

Testing so far for me has been great. I went down this morning to the range and so far I'm happy with it. This thing is an absolute beast.

Picked this up today, and I've already shortened it a little and changed the grip. If it performs on the course anything like it has the half dozen times I've tested it on a gcquad, it'll stay in the bag for a long time. Finished length 45", finished swingweight is just short of D5.
ce06105266aa8d7a974eb384431d6329.jpg
cfd745e4d6f5427842171f6d7f38d631.jpg
7d3b79eebe4ab7afba9203a1beec4d4d.jpg

UGh.....you getting tighter dispersion with your length is just filthy....

I’m really hoping to see the same A.I. technology in whatever new line of drivers/woods as the Epic Flash series. While I don’t have an EF in my bag, I’ve hit them several times and have had some fantastic numbers.

UGh.....you getting tighter dispersion with your length is just filthy....
Haha... I've been eyeballing this combination since early last month when I hit it at Roger Dunn in Hawaii. Dispersion was decent, and much better than what I have been playing. But man the ball speed numbers and carry distance I've been seeing with it every time I tested it was quite impressive. I found the same combo locally, and tested it probably 5 or 6 times before finally pulling the trigger. The interesting part is swinging smooth with it I'm seeing about 15yds of carry more than my last driver. And stepping on it, it's more like 40yds. The TS2, it just seemed like the faster I swing, the more it spins, the higher it goes, and distance stayed about the same.

So it has been several rounds since I put my Epic Flash Sub Zero into play - if anything, I just have a ton more confidence in this driver - with the original Epic I was afraid to try and get an extra gear - I usually would hit a weak fade or the ball would balloon.

This EF SZ is very forgiving and I now hit a baby draw which just runs.

Final adjustments after being fitted were a 10.55 head set to 11*, D2 SW and has the Tensei 66 stiff flex, 44.5"

Back