World Handicap System - Coming Jan 2020

It’s max NET double bogey. So if I’m getting 2 pops on a par five I still mark a 9, not a 7.
Huh? Holy crap that's going to be a pain to figure out on all the course we play.

I see a major flop developing here.

and just who is going to figure in all these things? The courses themselves? the local/regional golf association of which you cap is coming from?
many many courses are municipalities who already cant do things so correctly in the first place. And whether a muni or a private someone now has to look at all cards and make the determination. Who is paying for that persons time? And if its on the hands of any local/regional association are not most these folks volunteers anyway? So whos doing all this work? when and how?

Most of the work will be done by back end computers. No one will be looking at cards.

Huh? Holy crap that's going to be a pain to figure out on all the course we play.

I see a major flop developing here.

Im hoping the courses will have a simple sheet helping people figure it out. I’m not betting on it though.

And probably the most ignored rule as well.
I rarely play alone anymore. I usually get paired up with strangers and even if I'm not paired up with them, there are always plenty on adjacent holes. Before you say that doesn't count, let me remind you... my tee game has been so bad lately that I am basically playing with the players on adjacent holes!

Im hoping the courses will have a simple sheet helping people figure it out. I’m not betting on it though.
I have been lucky lately to get a cart with both a scorecard and sand, so I am not overly optimistic. ?

I gather most lower cap competitive players will be happier in the end now that the mid and high players average scores will be even further away from thier caps than before.

Now the 5 to 10 groups will spawn the most winners even though they may not be the biggest group. Just sayinn...;)

I was thinking about this again as I consider just how many esc holes are in my current cap already leading to one which is in a way unintentionally a vanity cap. Now to max out at double bogey would have me in company I do not belong. In fact because of the pars I can get and even my fair share of birds it would have me in the company of those who barely ever triple and never quad or higher. Too many the feast/famine type of players (which I often am) will be at caps that are just too low for what the player really is. I mean the current system of course is already always a step lower as it represents our best potential and not our average. But now (when this takes place) it will imo become too innacurate. Too far ahead of where many us really are. Many feast/famine types can easily jump 2, 3,maybe 4, strokes down in hc. I mean the 1or2 or sometimes 3 esc strokes/holes I can have now can easily become another 2 or 3 more in enough rounds. Even my better rounds now are not usually without at least one esc hole.

I still dont see why all this change just because the tiniest fraction of people who might be playing in other places regularly.
QoL changes are heavily weighted towards higher handicaps too.

And not to say I don't support that group, but at the same time, changing scoring logic and altering for conditions seems WAY too complex for most golfers. It's hard enough to explain ESC or Slope/rating as is.

I mean course handicap is pretty simple to do after a few times. Just need your phone to calculate it.

Hc X slope divided by 113

So for me on a slope of 130

7 x 130 = 910

910/113 = 8.05 or a course handicap of 8.

Also, if you really cannot remember that formula, google course handicap calculator and all you have to do is plug in your handicap and the slope and it’ll spit it out :)

If you play your buddies with strokes you should be finding the course handicap anyways in all fairness.

So in terms of esc:

I get 8 strokes on that course so on the 8 hardest holes, I will only be able to score (input wise for HC) double plus the stroke.

Makes it much easier for me to remember than the chart where I have to figure out what division my handicap is in and whether that means double, 7, 8, etc

Holy Brap Catman!
I was thinking about starting to score rounds for a handicap for the first time next season and the maths are already hurting my head!:stickbeat::surrender:

It is going to take an accountant to see what score can be posted. A net double will vary according to one's handicap and which hole they are playing. Under the new rules, an 8 handicap can now take a triple on the 8 hardest holes, but only a double on the other 10. (Currently max of +2 anywhere) An 18 handicap can now take a triple on any hole. (up to a 7 currently) A 28 handicapper can take +4 on 10 holes, +3 on the other 8. (Rather than a max of 8) It was easier to know just one number was the max.
And the new handicap is based on one's best 8 rounds, rather than 10, so potentially lower.

Read up more on this, the fact that your cap updates every day is cool.

also thesoft cap calculation is great

I’m tired after reading through this thread

And the new handicap is based on one's best 8 rounds, rather than 10, so potentially lower.

I don't know about potentially. Likely, or guaranteed would seem more accurate. Knock off numbers 9 and 10 for me right now and I'm well below scratch. I feel like the 8 rounds thing might be quite a dramatic difference sometimes.

I don’t get paid to do this math or what I can take or not take. I think I enjoyed it more being told no worse than double

Read up more on this, the fact that your cap updates every day is cool.

also thesoft cap calculation is great
I could go either way on this. Locking caps and trying to 'hit a number' by the next revision was always pretty fun.

Why does the USGA continue to embarrass themselves?

should prove interesting, as with esc it's great for the vanity cap until you start playing tournament golf, never figured out why the cap isn't just an average versus potential, again should be interesting to watch this adventure pan out.

should prove interesting, as with esc it's great for the vanity cap until you start playing tournament golf, never figured out why the cap isn't just an average versus potential, again should be interesting to watch this adventure pan out.
It’s too easy to sandbag average. Potential penalizes the sand baggers extra and makes it harder to sandbag. In theory. Dedicated sandbaggers don’t seem to have any issues though.

Back