Are we at the mercy of OEM's club builders?

. Dear OEMs, take your time and get these right! We can wait for quality work. Really, we can.

You must have missed all of the posts in the new clubs threads complaining about gear taking too long :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Speaking of though...where does one purchase a relatively cheap loft/lie machine? :unsure: That's something I wouldn't mind having

See below, but when I learned how to bend, my pro told me that they're not all created equal.

i think his main point is that we shouldn't have to do the bolded on brand new clubs. Which I fully agree. Don't even give people the option of custom specs if you can't actually get them there.

Agree - it needs to be right, wonder if with all of the different standards for clubs now that is the new standard - ie. if over the years standard for me has been 65* but clubs now standard is 63* you're already starting with a different lie.

Let me add something to this that sometimes is lost a bit. Loft and Lie machines are very good devices, but they are still up to the user to seat the club correctly. Im not saying @golfinnut is doing it wrong at all, but it does happen.

Second, not all loft and lie machines are created equally. For instance we use a Mitchel Signature. It was expensive. Why? Because most OEMs and all Club Champions use them. Most Tour Vans use them. Most shaft companies use them. So we want our numbers to align with what they are using. We also have a Golf Mechanix Digital Loft and Lie. It can be off by multiple degrees if you don't seat it exact and almost hold it in place. We have used some cheaper devices and most of them cause more stress than they actually provide good info.

Save up, buy a Mitchell and be glad you have a device that will outlast you.

With all of that said, if I got a new set of irons and was concerned that they were 3 degrees off what I ordered, I would send them back.

????????????

Nailed it. Can I buy that Mitchell when you're done? :p

See below, but when I learned how to bend, my pro told me that they're not all created equal.

Agree - it needs to be right, wonder if with all of the different standards for clubs now that is the new standard - ie. if over the years standard for me has been 65* but clubs now standard is 63* you're already starting with a different lie.

????????????

Nailed it. Can I buy that Mitchell when you're done? :p

It will outlive me. But their stuff is awesome and for those wondering, we bought the stuff in our Club Lab.

wow, never thought of this. i mean we go and get fitted and take the time and efforts and money to do so. Reason being is because we've come to know its the little things (in small fractions) that make a difference in golf. The makers themselves get involved with fittings. You would think the major players (makers) would have the quality control we pay for when we buy their expensive products. If indeed new custom order clubs are getting into the hands of the purchaser (player) different from what is fitted to him and ordered, that is imo a very big chunk of BS. The whole thing basically diminishes the entire (what is said to be important) process of getting fitted in the first place.

Ive often heard through the years (many years ago) that driver lofts were often off by a couple degrees and that was common. Never really understood that part either. But ff to nowadays and with all the tech and all the emphasis placed on fitting heads and shafts, lofts, lie, lengths, etc. more than ever before, one would think the makers would get it right for the customer who goes out of his way to custom order. If not, may as well buy off the shelf since there is no point. Or heck why not then just buy fitted from a knockoff seller like pinemeadow or diamondtour or some others that make great equipment custom ordered.

wow, never thought of this. i mean we go and get fitted and take the time and efforts and money to do so. Reason being is because we've come to know its the little things (in small fractions) that make a difference in golf. The makers themselves get involved with fittings. You would think the major players (makers) would have the quality control we pay for when we buy their expensive products. If indeed new custom order clubs are getting into the hands of the purchaser (player) different from what is fitted to him and ordered, that is imo a very big chunk of BS. The whole thing basically diminishes the entire (what is said to be important) process of getting fitted in the first place.

Ive often heard through the years (many years ago) that driver lofts were often off by a couple degrees and that was common. Never really understood that part either. But ff to nowadays and with all the tech and all the emphasis placed on fitting heads and shafts, lofts, lie, lengths, etc. more than ever before, one would think the makers would get it right for the customer who goes out of his way to custom order. If not, may as well buy off the shelf since there is no point. Or heck why not then just buy fitted from a knockoff seller like pinemeadow or diamondtour or some others that make great equipment custom ordered.

If you purchased through a fitter like club champion everything is checked in built in House

If the op fels its all wrong Id have them checked at the place they were purchased to check and see what they come up with. of course you have to consider the tool they are using and the person doing it. ya just cant know.

Id be curious to hear what titleist would say to the OP. Would they claim they are allowed tolerances that far off? and if so....that leaves alot to question imo as for integrity of the whole fitting process. It would kind of make it a moot point. I mean 1 up is 1up , its not 3 for a reason.

If the op fels its all wrong Id have them checked at the place they were purchased to check and see what they come up with. of course you have to consider the tool they are using and the person doing it. ya just cant know.

Id be curious to hear what titleist would say to the OP. Would they claim they are allowed tolerances that far off? and if so....that leaves alot to question imo as for integrity of the whole fitting process. It would kind of make it a moot point. I mean 1 up is 1up , its not 3 for a reason.

I'm about to write to Titleist to find out. :rolleyes:

Every set of irons I've ever purchased have been off by enough to be concerning so I now get every set checked after purchase. The worst I've ever had was my Titleist AP1s where the lofts and lies were all over the map and pretty much unplayable.

Best set I ever received was the Hogan PTx from the Event - they were all bang on. My Grandaddy set was near perfect with the exception of a 9i that was 3* weak.

Every set of irons I've ever purchased have been off by enough to be concerning so I now get every set checked after purchase. The worst I've ever had was my Titleist AP1s where the lofts and lies were all over the map and pretty much unplayable.

Best set I ever received was the Hogan PTx from the Event - they were all bang on. My Grandaddy set was near perfect with the exception of a 9i that was 3* weak.

Every set I’ve ever had has been off from the factory. Even my Hogan’s from that same event. They took them after the first day and adjusted them.

That being said, my son’s new Apex CF19’s where checked upon arrival and they were spot on.

Last edited:
this all makes me think I should have checked my ping g400's I bought last season. Too late now after this much play I suppose.

Be sure I would contact them and send them back if need be no matter the inconvenience to me. And if they didn't want me to give a crap review and dog them to every single person who will listen I better feel they made every conceivable effort to make it right while minimizing any and all inconvenience they did cause me.

I'm held to that same standard on my products and services. You either stand behind both, or you don't.

Sounds to me like they pulled the wrong heads out of the bin and assembled your set. It was human error. You probably got someone else's order and they got yours. Call Titleist and tell them before you do anything. I know you don't want to wait, but trust me you want to give them the chance to make this right. They need to make you a new set. If you snap a head it's on you.

All the heads for Titleist are cast or forged and machined in Taiwan. The process is now computer controlled and there is very little variance throughout a set. This was true on my 6 year old set of Cobra BioCell irons - no variance in the set. Everything dead bang on spec. Assembly is here in the US.

Quick update ..... apparently Titleist doesn't like it when you post on the Team Titleist site about anything negative. I posted something about my experience yesterday, but they never posted it. Apparently the moderator didn't think it was appropriate for others to see any negative experiences. And I know they saw it because I received an email from someone at Acushnet saying they found my specs. So they saw my post but just refused to post it. So he sent me the spec sheet & low and behold, the specs were not what I asked for. Wrong swingweight, wrong lie. :unsure:
I replied back, so we will see what happens now.

Maybe Titleist is getting tired of seeing all of your happy birthday threads and decided to force your hand at a different topic.

Jk

No one at Titleist reads our threads on here :rolleyes:

Where did you order them? Go back to that place and have them deal with it.

Where did you order them? Go back to that place and have them deal with it.

That was my next step. I have a pretty good relationship with the guy I do fittings with there. So I'm going to let him know & see what happens

I don't there is this much of a variance between my machine & a digital machine when it shows this!

It's supposed to be 64* .... this clearly shows 67* :unsure:

loft_lie.jpg

As several have said, it's common. I honestly don't think they even check them when you list special loft/lies half the time. At the very least, I think 2* is within tolerances for most OEM's or at least I think I've read/heard that before. But, you have a machine so why not just bend them how you like and move on?

Back