2020 Bridgestone Tour B Golf Balls

Thanks for simplifying into JB terms. I dont think there will be a huge departure. There might be tiny tweaks in compression here or there, but without me getting into the tech, the details will be a pretty fun story for those that like the design side of golf equipment.

My take on refitting is that its free, it's a new product, our swings change constantly and why not, right?

Yeah, that makes total sense. I’ll have to try to get that done this weekend. I’ll be spending at least a little time on the range.

Awesome to see some feedback on the new balls. Soft but dense.... I like that! I get what you're saying though... basically firm but with some feel to it.

I have always been one to play a little harder, higher spinning tour ball due to not generating much spin. After some swing changes, I'm generating more spin than ever and it's taking some getting used to. When THP sent me last year's Tour B X to test, I absolutely loved them, and I'm still playing them. I need to be on the look out for the release of the new version.

Looking forward to your thoughts.
Of course at Distance Bash you are being ball fit, so there is that.

I am doing my own ball test in a couple of weeks pre-distance bash so I'll have some fresh data even if will be on a different day and we all know day to day, swings/impact effeciency changes.

Oh and I know about the fitting. When you announced it, I literally squealed/giggled like a school girl. And no it was not attractive. To anyone. Thank god I was alone.

Great info there @JB . I was certain your testing pro was @Canadan until you said he plays TP5.
Imagine me being in Florida right now instead of stupid Ohio?!

IMAGINE HOW MUCH THAT SENSE THAT MAKES?! hahaha ughhh why am I here.

I'm just south of ya so I get it. Although it's not to bad today here in balmy Louisville, Ky.

The BXS has been one of my fav's the last few years. My absolute fav ball of all time was the B330s. Amazing ball. I am sure these will be great as well. I think they need to be a bit clearer in their explanation of each ball, and maybe condense their offerings a bit. 3 balls instead of 4 would be good.

"I got 350 rpms less spin than I normally get, bringing it down to near RX levels, with the same launch and almost 2.5 mph more ball speed. "

That sentence has me giddy. New Tour B X sounds unreal for me.

Great info @JB! Really interesting that the X dropped spin. Will be curious to see if that holds true for me as well. I did hit a few of Randy's X last year at the event in alt shot and was pleased with the results I saw, but have never tested them side by side comparing numbers. Will definitely be doing that this year.

The BXS has been one of my fav's the last few years. My absolute fav ball of all time was the B330s. Amazing ball. I am sure these will be great as well. I think they need to be a bit clearer in their explanation of each ball, and maybe condense their offerings a bit. 3 balls instead of 4 would be good.

If the goal and plan is fitting, why do you believe less choices would be better?
FWIW, they did condense E series by 1, so the total ball count is lower.

Talk about an update on early testing. I honestly can say I liked what I just read and now am more eager to get these out in the course!!!

I couldn't disagree more with the idea of reducing the Tour B lineup, which has made perfect sense for a long time.

Ive always found the approach they took to make the most sense.

Orrrrrrrr actually go through the very quick and accurate fitting process they’ve setup to determine which ball makes the most sense based on your swing and thus eliminating confusion all together.

Okay I am back from some early testing and I have to be careful a bit about what I say here, so I will just talk about what I saw, rather than why I think I saw it. When a product is being teased as reinventing the tour ball, my ears perk up because I think about "ingredients". Again, while I can't go into that, I have said for close to 6 months now, this is a year to pay attention to golf balls and the status quo of how you choose should be analyzed as well.

I did three short tests today.
25 yard chip shots
Full PW swings
Driver

To explain, I should give you some background on those that have never been unfortunate enough to be stuck playing with me. I am a steep swinger that generates a lot of spin both on full swings and partial shots. Depending on the area I am playing, around the green I choose either a simple bump or run, or the preferred shot of throwing it closer to the pin and wanting it to stop. I have always been fit into either RX or spin reduction, thus creating more distance or the X, for spin reduction with a little more speed.

Around the green, we paced off a little bit and were hitting 25 yards to the pin give or take. Much of that was green. For full disclosure, I was told the greens have been super receptive and should show more spin to the eye than I am used to. This is an area that I expect the ball to do well and it delivered. One hop and stop routinely and had no trouble generating the shot repeatably, no matter which of the four balls I was testing. I focused in more on the RX and X, which I have always found offered a tiny bit less spin, but not enough to really notice and still had no issues. In fact the TOUR B X routinely just sat on a dime, which was pretty darn cool.

An area that is often talked about, and in some ways used as validation for performance is feel. These balls feel different to me. In a good way, genuinely, but different. They almost feel soft and firm at the same time, which was rather unique.

Moving back to the full PW swings and this is where the ball came alive for me. I focused on the RX and X due to my being fit and both reacted similarly. On average seeing 3-4 more yards off of the full swings with the X, and a few hundred RPMs of spin, but the feel was tremendous. Again, soft and firm. WTF? I am typing it, lived it and it still is odd hearing it out, but it's the best way to describe it. Maybe better would be soft and dense? X has always been a firm ball to me, but it doesn't feel hard or even firm with this. Hitting the ball well, I routinely saw more spin than I am used to, although the receptive greens might have had something to do with that. A number of shots with the X spun back a good 8-10 feet and the RX in the area of about a foot in front of pitch mark. And hey, I only missed one green so there is that :D

Driver is where I grabbed some assistance because I wanted multiple takes. Recent ******** online talking about slow vs fast and other nonsense when in reality distance is a combination of THREE things. Speed. Spin. Launch. What might be a 1-2 mph slower, could also be a reduction in 500 rpms of spin with higher launch and definitely go further than the faster golf ball. Then compound that with unlike most on the internet, I miss the sweet spot from time to time and that changes every dynamic of golf ball testing, because spin, speed and launch all change and in many ways, a forgiving golf ball would benefit a lot of golfers there, to keep spin in check (unless miss is high on the face). Okay enough rambling because at the end of the day, tech is there, but are the results? Sort of, yes, but also some pretty fascinating info.

To expand on that, the pro hitting alongside of me is a staffer for another company, he plays the TP5 golf ball. Hits it very well. Says it feels firm. Before getting to him, I will give you my thoughts. I did not see a spin reduction off the tee with the RX. In fact it was nearly dead on for speed and spin to what my regular numbers are with distance right there with it. The X was different. I got 350 rpms less spin than I normally get, bringing it down to near RX levels, with the same launch and almost 2.5 mph more ball speed. Accounting for nearly 7 yards of more distance. WTF? What did it feel like? Soft and Dense. :D

The professional testing with me went right for X and XS. He preferred the X, but liked both. He actually hit the longest drive with the XS, but was infatuated with the penetrating flight of the X ball. Comparing to his normal gamer, he actually gained speed and had a spin reduction, while getting 1.5 more degrees of launch. Giving him nearly 11 yards more distance off the tee. FWIW, watching him test was nauseating, because of the precision and effortless motion. Numbers on best drive with the X. Up 1.3 mph ball speed. Down 347 rpms of spin. Up 1.5 degrees of launch.

So what did I learn? Absolutely nothing, other than the pro working with me today makes me want to take up competitive eating. No in all seriousness, I think Bridgestone has something on their hands here. Are you going to pick it up and all of the sudden hit Tiger stingers and tip like Kuchar? Maybe. Will this ball make you a better player? I dont know the answer to that, but am 100% confident that getting fit for a golf ball will and this Tour B lineup is absolutely rock solid. There will be more coming from me in the coming weeks on all 4 balls as I get to spend a bit more time with them, have others try them and dive a little deeper into the technology that is pretty ******* cool.

Okay if you made it this far, kudos. If you didn't, I am sure there is some youtube video or site that will exist soon only paying attention to center contact. If you get nothing else from THP, understand that the golf ball reacts wildly different based on where impact takes place, the speed of the collision and it could be the biggest change in equipment you can ever make.
Great review JB!! I finally need to give Bridgestone a serious look and get fit and try the lineup out!!

If the goal and plan is fitting, why do you believe less choices would be better?
FWIW, they did condense E series by 1, so the total ball count is lower.

I think the RX and RXS are redundant and not enough different to warrant both being in existence. There is such a thing as paradox of choice. At a certain point available options stymie sales and customers just walk out.

This is my singular opinion, love bridgestone balls. I just think they need to consolidate their premium line a bit OR clarify them better on the box.

I think the RX and RXS are redundant and not enough different to warrant both being in existence. There is such a thing as paradox of choice. At a certain point available options stymie sales and customers just walk out.

This is my singular opinion, love bridgestone balls. I just think they need to consolidate their premium line a bit OR clarify them better on the box.
One is for people who need to reduce spin dramatically, and one is for slower swinging golfers who would benefit from extra spin. Eliminating one of these two would be a terrible decision, as they probably fit the majority of golfers.

I couldn't disagree more with the idea of reducing the Tour B lineup, which has made perfect sense for a long time.

You have to understand I am looking at this from the retail side of this. I completely understand it, but I cannot tell you how many times I have tried to explain it to customers only to have them say. "eh, I just buy ProV1".

Maybe I am just bad at sales and need a new gig.

I get the thought, although we are now seeing just about every company that had two premium balls add to it over the last few years, because the tech is in place.
I think when your message has been 100% about fitting, taking a ball away that might fit a pretty large segment of golfers would be a bad business decision.

I also dont think RXS and RX are any more redundant than X and XS, but that is just me.

What's interesting is the difference between those balls are as much or greater than the difference between TP5 and TP5x...Based on design.

One is for people who need to reduce spin dramatically, and one is for slower swinging golfers who would benefit from extra spin. Eliminating one of these two would be a terrible decision, as they probably fit the majority of golfers.

That exact explanation is the exact same for the BX and BXS as well.

You have to understand I am looking at this from the retail side of this. I completely understand it, but I cannot tell you how many times I have tried to explain it to customers only to have them say. "eh, I just buy ProV1".

Maybe I am just bad at sales and need a new gig.

Haha, I am sure you are fine at sales. Question is, how did they choose that over Pro V1x or AVX or even Tour Soft (based on price)? As an educated equipment guy, I am sure you have the answers. Do you do ball fittings where you work?

You have to understand I am looking at this from the retail side of this. I completely understand it, but I cannot tell you how many times I have tried to explain it to customers only to have them say. "eh, I just buy ProV1". Maybe I am just bad at sales and need a new gig.
RX: Better compression, low spin
RXS: RX with more spin
X: Firmest Option
XS: Firmest Option with more spin

Actually, for the dudes who just blindly buy ProV1, just lead with this;
XS: This is what Tiger uses.

@JB great review - Really well written! I'm really excited to give these Bridgestone balls a try.
Here is a dumb silly a$$ question, I assume that you were at a range and were able to retrieve the balls on Chip and Pitches.
How did you get them back when you hit driver?

Seeing the difference in the 2 balls during our fittings at the event really brought a good perspective. The RXS are almost tacky to the touch and Zach had us rub them together and you could feel the extra grip the RXS offered to help the player that needed that extra greenside spin. I generate plenty of spin so it instantly eliminaed the RXS and XS and we quickly narrowed it down to the RX being the best option for me. I think the 4 choices are pretty spot on and going through a fitting really pinpoints which would benefit you the most.

Back