Callaway MAVRIK FW Woods and Hybrids

I’ve been struggling with the EF 3W. Yet I crush the Fusion. Very consistent, just not the distance I expect.
In the same boat with my EF 3W and struggle with it so far. My 5W that is a PING G410 SFT I can launch like no other and is my go to.

The max fairways are really easy to launch. As someone that has struggled with FWs in the past, I’d HIGHLY recommend giving these a look.
Absolutely will. :cool:?

The max fairways are really easy to launch. As someone that has struggled with FWs in the past, I’d HIGHLY recommend giving these a look.
I will do that as well.

My initial review of the fairways is going to be somewhat limited, just due to lack of time with them so far. But from what I have seen in just a few swings on the course, the new 3-wood may end up being one of the best weapons in my bag this year.

During the fitting at ECPC, fairways were the last thing I tried. I was tired and I was essentially alternating between hitting perfect shots and weak flares because of lazy swings. John fit me into the SZ 3+ with a Ventus Blue 7S shaft. When you see 3+, your immediate reaction is probably that I like to use a 3 wood off the tee. That makes sense, but it's wrong. It turns out (news to me) that I'm a pretty high spin player and that decreasing the loft is the most effective way to get my spin into an acceptable range. I hit the ball pretty high, so John wasn't concerned that I wouldn't be able to play it off the deck, which is what I primarily use a 3 wood for.

Due to lack of inventory--we were some of the first people in the world to get these clubs after all--they had to sub in a regular Mavrik 3+ with Ventus Black 7S for me to play on the course. So the vast majority of my experience so far is with the regular 3+, not the SZ. For the SZ, let me just say that throwing a ball down on the extremely tight lies at ECPC and stepping up to hit a 13.5* FW off the deck had me initially thinking that I was going to see some worm burners. That was not the case at all. Immediately, it launched high and went long (when I wasn't flaring it to the right). I had no trouble at all getting it off the ground. Beyond that, I'll have to weigh in on the SZ version more later once I have it in hand and the weather clears up some.

On course, I think I have taken 4 shots with the regular 3+ and, while I know it seems super cheesy, my reaction has been, "wow." In CA, I used it twice to just bomb it down the fairway as far as I could in situations where I had hit bad drives on Par 5s and couldn't get home. Both times, I ended up getting WAY closer to the green than I thought I would. I also used it once off the tee. I hit a very solid shot, but I didn't really have any way to gauge how good on a hole I'd never played before.

That changed when I got home though. Due to a pretty mild start to the winter, I was able to get out and play 9 holes on January 4. It was windy, but it was about 50*, so I was able to get a reasonable comparison to how I normally hit shots at my home course. I used it off the tee on a Par 4 playing a little downwind and it was an absolute rocked. Perfect ball flight, and really, really long. I didn't hit the Mavrik driver to compare against it, but let's just say that with my old clubs, I would have thought it was a very long DRIVE under similar conditions. If that performance off the tee holds up, there are at least 3 holes at my course where I will use the 3+ exclusively off the tee this year and I'd be willing to be good money that my scoring average goes down on all of them.

Again, my impressions so far are anecdotal based on a small sample size, but I'm happy to answer any and all questions and I will have more coming ASAP. I hope to at least be able to get some comparison numbers in a simulator while the weather is bad, which won't be Trackman-type accuracy, but will be better than nothing.

Great review! What shaft did you get?

The stock KBS Tour Proto hybrid shaft. I think that was the only stock shaft I got in any of my clubs, but it was so good that I didn't even try anything else.

I got the Pro 2H and that is a great place to start my reviews because it surprised me as much as any club in the bag. I'm stuck at work and don't seem to have any in-hand pictures with me, but I can grab some tonight for anyone that wants any.

Coming into the Grandaddy, I have to admit that I figured that hybrid would be the one club that would be tough to knock out of my bag long term. For almost a decade, I've played a Nike VR 2 hybrid that just seems to work for me. I doubt there's anything special about it tech-wise, but I love the combination of profile and performance I've always seen from it. I tend to use my hybrid much more as a driving iron/5 wood type of replacement than as an iron, which is probably somewhat evident by the fact that a 2 hybrid is the only one in my bag. The Nike has given me that, with the combination of a very slim profile, at least as far as hybrids go. As hybrids have become bigger and more fairway wood-looking, I've been less and less interested in changing.

That is until I took about 3 swings with the Mavrik Pro. My swing on fitting day was mostly garbage and I was fairly tired by the time we got to hybrid. But from the very first swing, they were just lasers. I bet that the first five shots I hit with it didn't move more than 5 yards in the air combined. That's not to say that you can't work it though--you can. But don't really have to worry about it leaking one way or the other. It wants to go straight.

Looks-wise, I'd say that it's still slightly larger than my old Nike, but that the profile is still really solid. Even though the toe in the Pro version is more rounded and less squared, I think it looks a lot less like a FW than most other hybrids out there. It's relatively slender. The picture of the crown on Callaway's website will give you a good idea until I can get some in-hand pictures up.

Performance-wise, I've been very, very impressed. I think this will slot perfectly into the spot I want it to fill. Between Jailbreak and the Flash Face, distance is not going to be an issue. It was -3 here this morning when I left for work, so I'm not going to get it out on the course in the near future, but I hit it multiple times on the course in CA. And it was extremely versatile. Probably the best shot I've hit with it so far was on a Par 3 playing about 210 in pouring rain, into the wind. The pin was way back left and the whole left side of the green was guarded by a huge bunker that was probably 15 feet below the surface of the green. I aimed at the middle and hit a little draw that landed about 15 feet past the pin on the back edge and probably moved an inch from its ball mark. The next day, in much warmer weather, I used it to go for a par 5 in two from about 235.

The bottom line is that if you like hybrids, this one is absolutely worth a look. For me, the club I was least excited about replacing is now one of the spots in my bag that I'm the most excited about playing. Any and all questions are most welcome -- fire away.
I definitely would love to see some in hand pics. The shape is what has me interested. I'm not a hybrid guy but I am a fairway guy and something like this is interesting.

The lines on the face are a nice touch, and I bet they really help frame the ball. Also, the shape of the pro hybrid is very intriguing

Me wanting to try the Max Fairway woods after the GD Reviews:

Ice review @tomcat

Would you say these are designed for distance? (Answer probably varies by model within the line). How are they at holding greens?

These were designed to do a few things:
1. maxmimize ball speed and forgiveness across all three lines. Which is why you see a different A.I. designed face for each. The computer did it's job really well and a by product is a fairway wood that rivals the driver with some players in terms of overall distance.
2. Callaway knew there was a large part of the consumer base that struggle with launching fairway woods. While they accomplished that in all three, the Max will stand out the most with the lower leading edge (more than anything designed previously). It's a slightly bigger profile, but it is a rocket launcher.
3. Help golfers who fight the fade/slice. The weights allow positioning to help encourage a draw bias.

Hope this helps.

I love that the regular hybrid model has the square toe. Now I just need to know if it's more fade biased like the last Apex model.

The Super Hybrid and the Pro will be the most fade bias. The standard and max will not be fade bias, & they won't introduce the "lefts" as so many fear with the hybrid. They did a goof job of maintaining a straight ball flight on well struck shots.

****quick edit - these are the lie angles comparing the fairway woods Max 1* from STD and STD is 1* up from SZ*****

I definitely would love to see some in hand pics. The shape is what has me interested. I'm not a hybrid guy but I am a fairway guy and something like this is interesting.

I'll snap some and post them up as soon as I get home tonight.

For me the Mavrik Max 5 wood was the star of the show. I will be getting a ton of use out of this club come spring. I have a series of holes on my
home course where I know this is going to come into play and I’ve been replaying it in my head since I got it. 5 wood off the deck while getting driver ball speed? Yes please. More detailed review coming.

1579020111834.jpeg
1579020144542.jpeg

Really happy seeing so many options for FWs and hybrids. The MAX version is a great addition that I think many people will be surprised to see working the best for them.

Can't get away from staring at that orange, it's so nice to look at!!

Any Mavrik Pro hybrid pictures? I love the Apex hybrid and was hoping for something closer to that shape/size.

Alright, I am going to just lead this review off with this...

View attachment 8922454

Just look at that smash factor. We're talking driver speed from a steel headed fairway wood!

I am finding myself having to pivot a bit on what I was initially planning on doing for the fairway wood write up. I didn’t get a chance to hit it during the fitting. I basically just picked the same version I had played in the past. During the event, I hit it once off the deck in crappy weather and a few times at the range. I knew it looked great just like every SZ 3 wood I have hit in the past. But, wasn’t really blown away at the time. When we got home from the trip and I could nothing more than just sit and stare at my new gear, I decided to pull the weights out. Never thought of checking before, but the heavy weight was forward. A position I rarely used in my SZ 3 woods in the past. So, I set the heavy weight in the back and just didn’t think of it much after that.

Fast forward a few weeks and I had some sim time booked to get my fix. Scratch the new club itch. Going through the bag hitting shots, loving what I was seeing from each club. Get to the 3 wood just out of the natural progression of things. Thinking nothing of it, I just take a swing. Crack. Wait a minute, what the hell was that? Take another swing. Crack. Holy crap, look at that thing go. Rinse and repeat over and over again. Watch the ball carry forever. Hmm. Maybe I underestimated this club at the time.

I know that they were able to further optimize the face of the fairway woods just like the rest of the Mavrik line. I know they said that they were able to raise the CT and achieve driver like speed off the face. But, I mean, it’s just a 3 wood and they have been maxed out for a while now right?

I hit the club on a few more occasions and saw the same results each time. This warranted a little further investigation on what numbers I am actually achieving with this club.

This past weekend, I was able to spend some time on Trackman with the new bag. By the time I got to the 3 wood I was absolutely wiped out. I had hit an insane amount of shots in a very short amount of time. Not expecting much out of myself, I set the ball down, take a mighty lash at it, and Crack! The ball is off. Same amazing performance.

Just looking at what I have been feeling validated on a legit device like Trackman tells me that this club is special. Looking at the data, vs. my old Epic Flash SZ 3 wood. A 3 wood that I felt was better than any 3 wood I had owned prior. I was seeing 3 mph more ball speed and 12 yards more carry. Not only that. But, the Mavrik is easier to hit for me. Don’t get me wrong, the EFSZ is no slouch. But, the numbers weren’t lying. The Mavrik SZ 3 wood is king of the hill for now. And, I don’t know when I will see another fairway outperform what I already had by such a margin.

Mavrik SZ 3 Wood
View attachment 8922455

Epic Flash SZ 3 Wood
View attachment 8922457

Fairway woods can be finicky business. It seems some players, myself included, often times have a hard time finding one that works well. And, when they do, they hang on to it for dear life. I can’t promise you that the Mavrik will be your unicorn 3 wood. Heck, I don’t know for 100% certainty that it’s mine yet. But, the signs are strong. I can’t wait to get this outside and hit it off of some real grass, try to bend it through some tight spots, try to play for position off the tee.

This could quite possibly be the super star of the Mavrik line. Once I got home with my new clubs, the fairway wood was honestly probably the last thing on my mind. Now, it’s almost all I can think about.

I will leave you with these. Such a good looking fairway wood.

View attachment 8922458

View attachment 8922459

View attachment 8922460
These are great numbers and a great writeup. I'm not the biggest fan of the coloring but that's what Callaway customs is for.

In the same boat with my EF 3W and struggle with it so far. My 5W that is a PING G410 SFT I can launch like no other and is my go to.
Definitely try to hit the 3w, it is a monster and is plenty easy to launch.

Something else of note here, if you like to be able to move the ball left and right these are some of the easiest fairways I have ever tried to do it with. No issues at all hitting a small draw or fade with the 3 or 5 woods.

Ice review @tomcat

Would you say these are designed for distance? (Answer probably varies by model within the line). How are they at holding greens?

I think it's safe to say that with AI being used on everything from the driver to the new AI optimized tees coming out (just kidding) that while distance is always key, the optimization capitalizes on forgiveness. With the supercomputer looking at all of the variables, and it spitting out the best option, I don't think you can just say it's one or the other, which I suppose is great.

In regards to holding greens, I don't know, honestly. I've not hit one of these and had it get on the green. That's an issue with my game, not the club. I'm typically using these as long second / third shot clubs, and while I can get it close, I'm usually on a short iron onto the green. I hope to find out soon.

Great write up @tomcat ?

I have been in same boat with my hybrid, reading your review makes me want to give it another chance. I too have the same gap in distance from driver down to anything else and have also just gotten used to not being able to close it just yet. Still a work in progress, but I am definitely going to give the hybrid another chance. The Max hybrids may be a perfect fit for me as well, will get out to give these a swing at a store soon. (y)

The big gap always loomed over me, and quite frankly, wasn't always sure how to fill it. Many times would just plan on driver - 7i, just knowing that I'd lose strokes, but I just wasn't comfortable with other clubs in between. So glad to have some options now.

Any Mavrik Pro hybrid pictures? I love the Apex hybrid and was hoping for something closer to that shape/size.
I think @bigskyirish is the only one in the pro, and he'll be posting some tonight.

Yep - I think I'm the only with with a pro. I'll post some pictures of the 2H tonight when I get home, probably about 6 p.m. MST, give or take.

Oh hey.

DSC01089-XL.jpg

Cannot wait to hear @Jman thoughts on this bad boy.

What a beautiful pic dude.

DSC01121-XL.jpg

Something that should not go under the radar is each of these fairway woods have their own unique A.I. face for each loft across each model. Think about that for a minute.....

Back