LPGA Kia Classic - Slow Penalty Assessed

staticline

Reaction score
Handicap
Kia Classic Slow Play Penalty

The War on Slow Play has drawn blood.
Shasta Averyhardt, an LPGA rookie, was tagged with a two-stroke penalty on the first day of this week's KIA Classic at the Industry Hills Golf Course.
Details are sketchy based on a local report, but Averyhardt, along with playing partners Jennifer Song and Lindsey Wright, was placed on the clock. Averyhardt was later hit with a two-stroke penalty. Of course, since her final score was a 7-over 80, it's not like the penalty took her out of the championship hunt or anything, but still ... not the kind of thing you want hanging around your neck.
"I have to make better decisions on the golf course," Averyhardt said afterward. "I want to manage the course better do a better job at that. I think everything will be fine after that." Well, as long as she manages the course with a little more speed.
Slow play is fast becoming the hot-button (what does that phrase mean, anyway?) issue of the golf world, with PGA Tour players like Ben Crane, Kevin Na, Webb Simpson and JB Holmes apparently believing it's their right to take long enough on the golf course to need to shave at the turn. Still, throw a penalty like this on them and it's a good bet they won't be slowing down again anytime soon.

Slow play is the cancer of golf. Good to hear the LPGA did the right thing for once. Also sounds like she knows she needs to do something to correct the problem. Now if the PGA tour would grow a set and hit the problem head on. At least with TV golf, we have the channel button. Just too bad we can't point the remote and push the buttom on the course.

That's the thing, with tv i think the tour doesn't mind slow golfers. slow golf = more time for commercials = more money. the fan at home doesn't necessarily notice the slow groups unless they're the final group at the end of their round (only shots on the course), or if they're so slow that nobody behind them can go (no other shots to show).

That's the thing, with tv i think the tour doesn't mind slow golfers. slow golf = more time for commercials = more money. the fan at home doesn't necessarily notice the slow groups unless they're the final group at the end of their round (only shots on the course), or if they're so slow that nobody behind them can go (no other shots to show).

I politely beg to differ. Faster play=showing more golfers=better chance viewers see who they like=more viewers=bigger ad demand/dollars=more money. What you described above isn't how commercials are bought/sold/broadcast/optioned.

One of the biggest reaosns, if not the only reason they have a desire to address the issue is tournaments not finishing on time. Last year they had a handful go longer than the TV cutoff time. With DVR being so popular some people missed the end which is unforgivable in pro sports.

In reponse to topic though, I love that the LPGA did something. Say what you want about the LPGA, they are proactive, and since booting Bivens for Whan appear to be doing all the right things for a comeback. I would not be surprised if the PGA monitors the the public's response and takes note. Actually, if I am honest i woud be shocked if the PGA monitores the public's response and took note sadly.

I politely beg to differ. Faster play=showing more golfers=better chance viewers see who they like=more viewers=bigger ad demand/dollars=more money. What you described above isn't how commercials are bought/sold/broadcast/optioned.

and i respectfully disagree, to a point. If they were concerned with showing more golfers the networks wouldn't spend time showing tiger and phil's practice routine's for 5 minutes before they hit, they'd just show the shots and move on to the next guy under the idea that more golfers shown=more viewers. the longer the day takes, the longer people are at the course, the better the odds they'll buy things, even stuff as small as water adds up.

I do agree that slow play forcing more commercials could drive away viewers for the lack of action being shown. There's not a whole lot going on (to the average viewer, obviously us golf nuts find something cool about even the most mundane parts of a golf broadcast) during a golf tournament the way it is now, having less golf, i agree, is certainly not going to attract the viewing public.

I do agree that the networks, sponsors and PGA don't like it when tournaments don't end on time, i'm sure there are plenty of behind the scenes financial headaches that come with that, although i doubt dvr is one of them. It's kind of a side issue but i think when you dvr a live sports program, you do so knowing the risk that it could go well over time because it's a live event. I understand that it sucks, and i agree, but if I dvr a basketball or football game that's slated to end at 9pm, i know that game isn't going to end before 9pm, probably no where in the vacinity of, those times are more of a guideline than a rule.

My best friend us a chronic slow player....he doesn't "forward think" when we get to the green, he will leave his cart right in front of the green instead of on the side that's gives you the shortest walk after holing out. His after shot routine is crazy, he will hit his shot, stare at it, if it's bad he takes some practice swings... Then puts his headcover on and starts walking. Now we will just start walking the second he hits his shot, hopefully gets the clue this year. It's embarrassing having to be constantly reminded to hurry up. His argument is that he paid good money to golf And he can take all the time he wants. And when we try to say something to him he gets super defensive.

Back