"Jacked" Lofts in 2020

You realize, I hope, that none of this effects my game. Not really.
I still play a lot of golf at my age, but it's on weekdays and it's purely social and recreational.
I don't enter ANY formal club events anymore. The extent of my competitiveness is whose monthly tab the drinks go on, and to be honest, I can afford the drinks.
If it isn't 100% fun, I don't play. Not now. Not at this point in life.

My interest in this jacked loft issue isn't fully related to my golf pastime per se. Playing golf is a separate issue.
It's related to my golf equipment hobby. That, if not an entirely separate thing, is at best a loosely related one.

What do I care as long as I know how far I can hit each club? That's what I keep getting asked.
You'd be surprised how little I care how far I can hit each club. Well, sure, I care, but remember, I'm a septuagenarian whose index is only going to go in one direction at this point. It's social and recreational. It's not competitive. I broke 80 only four times all of last season.
Odds say I won't do it four times this coming season, a year older.

But I've always had a fascination with the equipment.
I've NEVER NEEDED to buy new equipment,
I've WANTED to buy new equipment because getting new stuff every once in a while is fun.

I've also wanted some choice in what I was buying, and given a choice, I wouldn't be buying gear with the modern stamping protocols.
Forget the rest of the club other than the stamping. That's fine. Interesting new technology. I don't like the stamping,

I'm paying enough that I should get what I want,
and knowing how far I can launch a ball with each club is simply not the issue.
Not to me.
I'm interested in the equipment as it's own issue, and therefore know exactly what I want.
Sadly for me, it's just not available for every slot in the bag.

I still play a lot of golf at my age, but it's on weekdays and it's purely social and recreational.
I don't enter ANY formal club events anymore. The extent of my competitiveness is whose monthly tab the drinks go on, and to be honest, I can afford the drinks.

My interest in this jacked loft issue isn't fully related to my golf pastime per se. Playing golf is a separate issue.
It's related to my golf equipment hobby. That, if not an entirely separate thing, is at best a loosely related one.

What do I care as long as I know how far I can hit each club? That's what I keep getting asked.
You'd be surprised how little I care how far I can hit each club. Well, sure, I care, but remember, I'm a septuagenarian whose index is only going to go in one direction at this point. It's social and recreational. It's not competitive. I broke 80 only four times all of last season.

I've WANTED to buy new equipment because getting new stuff every once in a while is fun.

I've also wanted some choice in what I was buying, and given a choice, I wouldn't be buying gear with the modern stamping protocols.
Forget the rest of the club other than the stamping. That's fine. Interesting new technology. I don't like the stamping,

Not to me.
I'm interested in the equipment as it's own issue, and therefore know exactly what I want.

Stamp it into the hosel then

Or, just ignore it and read something else.
It was humor, sir. I've enjoyed my participation in this thread, but the redundancies being perpetuated in here at this point are obvious.

Stamp it into the hosel then

That doesn't remove it from the sole....where the right number belongs.
Look, I buy what's available for me to buy.
I'm just saying what I'd like,
and why I don't particularly like what's available to buy.

It was humor, sir. I've enjoyed my participation in this thread, but the redundancies being perpetuated in here at this point are obvious.
You're right. I'm really not that thin skinned.
I just wasn't sure if you realized that even I know it's not a practical golf issue.
It pertains entirely to my interest in equipment.

I just wasn't sure if you realized that even I know it's not a practical golf issue.
It’s all good! Reality is, this has been a tame back and forth, and than most goodness we can still have those today.

You'd be surprised how little I care how far I can hit each club. Well, sure, I care, .

Surely that’s the only thing you should care about isn’t it? And to be fair, you may have only broken 80 4 times last season, but that’s 4 times more than most. You quite clearly still have a decent game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who gets to choose what the right number is? Why is there even a right number?

20 years ago we had PW at 43 degrees andwe do now. We also had them weaker, just like we do now.

Not to me.
I think your problem is that the more customization you allow, the more expensive that product becomes to make and that gets passed down to the consumer. Anyone who has worked in manufacturing will tell you that cheap and custom do not go hand in hand. These companies want to make money which is why a Callaway customs order just to change the paint color costs more. Large batches = less cost to produce. I am pretty confident that with enough money you could get at least some of the manufacturers to give you an unstamped set that you could have stamped yourself the way you want. Have you ever inquired about it? If not, there are custom club manufactures you could work with.

I've actually enjoyed the topic. It's brought out a lot of differing opinions which always will enhance the transfer of knowledge, regardless if a common ground is found. It's all good chatter and maybe someone along the way found it helpful.

I believe it was you who mentioned Edel some pages ago. I had never heard of them before so I was checking out their web site. As you mentioned, they do stamping of what ever number or will stamp the loft your choice. And it looks like they will do custom loft and lie all at no upcharge. Having never played their products I'm not sure if they are the quality or characteristics you are looking for but if it was that critical that's the route I would take.

I am pretty confident that with enough money you could get at least some of the manufacturers to give you an unstamped set that you could have stamped yourself the way you want. Have you ever inquired about it? If not, there are custom club manufactures you could work with.

Custom clubmakers, unfortunately, can't keep up with the major OEMs in the tech area. Totally understandable.
I have indeed inquired about the stamping from major OEMs and they're not interested.

But here's the good part.
If this is my worst problem for 2020, it's going to be a really good year!

Custom clubmakers, unfortunately, can't keep up with the major OEMs in the tech area. Totally understandable.
I have indeed inquired about the stamping from major OEMs and they're not interested.

But here's the good part.
If this is my worst problem for 2020, it's going to be a really good year!

I’ve mostly avoided this thread - jumping in at the end, but I think these would suit you.

maybe? i dunno

Don't wanna hear anyone complaining about the Epic Forged being jacked up after seeing the T400 irons. :ROFLMAO: I feel like I back to playing traditional lofts now. :cool:

Kept track of my second shots over 3 months and, for me, more than half of the shots were with three irons - 31*, 35* and 40*. With traditional lofted irons from the same OEM, I would have four irons instead of three for full swing shots - 29*, 33*, 37*, and 41*. Pretty sure having more full swing options is better for me.

Kept track of my second shots over 3 months and, for me, more than half of the shots were with three irons - 31*, 35* and 40*. With traditional lofted irons from the same OEM, I would have four irons instead of three for full swing shots - 29*, 33*, 37*, and 41*. Pretty sure having more full swing options is better for me.
That's a odd separation on your current setup, 4° then 5° on the next step. Is the number progression synchronous?

Luckily there are plenty of options in that range if that is what you prefer!

Back