PGA Tour Responds to Premier Golf League

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
“The schedule for the Team Golf Concept is designed to directly compete and conflict with the PGA Tour’s FedExCup schedule, and to not conflict with the Masters, PGA Championship, U.S. Open and The Open Championship,” commissioner Jay Monahan said.

“If the Team Golf Concept or another iteration of this structure becomes a reality in 2022 or at any time before or after, our members will have to decide whether they want to continue to be a member of the PGA Tour or play on a new series,” Monahan said.

Monahan is gonna lose this one.

This is going to be interesting to what happens.

I kinda feel like he would be shooting himself in the foot not to take a stand. What choice does he really have? You either maintain that your rules and your league are premier or you don’t. If you don’t, how does that look to your potential field of athletes. He is basically saying we are the pinnacle and if you want to to be on top the golf world you want to be here and that is that.

• Admin
I kinda feel like he would be shooting himself in the foot not to take a stand. What choice does he really have? You either maintain that your rules and your league are premier or you don’t. If you don’t, how does that look to your potential field of athletes. He is basically saying we are the pinnacle and if you want to to be on top the golf world you want to be here and that is that.

I agree with this. And frankly he is right. My issue is the complete toss aside when it comes to scheduling, tournaments and the idea that players create their own.

Guess I have been under a rock because I wasn't even aware of the Premier Golf League. Gonna be interesting to see what happens.

Except based on the proposals floating around the players that jump ship are going to make a lot more money.

The PGA Tour is about to sign a package doubling their TV rates. The players are not surprising looking for their cut to increase as well. The only way Monahan cuts this off at the knees is figuring out how to keep the Top 10 guys rich.

Monahan is gonna lose this one.
Agreed, it doesn't feel like the PGA Tour is gonna walk away looking good in this situation.

I read a small article on this but it was kind of vague. Definitely will follow to see the outcome.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out. I think I may be more excited about the potential of the Premier Golf League than I am about the future of the PGA Tour. At the very least maybe this will force the tour to look at some of it's shortcomings and actually make some changes.

so basically you are a tour player or you are not? the amount of money being thrown around with the PGL makes me believe some of the top talent will play if the money is right. Also it's less event for them and allows them to build their brands globally.

The other side is you have the top players subsidizing the purse money for the lower level players. If you get enough stars to jump, then sponsorships wont continue and the money will be less

so basically you are a tour player or you are not? the amount of money being thrown around with the PGL makes me believe some of the top talent will play if the money is right. Also it's less event for them and allows them to build their brands globally.

The other side is you have the top players subsidizing the purse money for the lower level players. If you get enough stars to jump, then sponsorships wont continue and the money will be less

Yup and I like the line in the sand. I wish we had more of it, but him taking that tells me that he has at least 1 name in the hat already...

Yup and I like the line in the sand. I wish we had more of it, but him taking that tells me that he has at least 1 name in the hat already...

I could see Sponsors Exemptions being used much differently if this new tour launches.

definitely think there is a legit fear factor here of losing talent, or they wouldn't have put out a statement.

definitely think there is a legit fear factor here of losing talent, or they wouldn't have put out a statement.

Outside of a handful of players, I am not sure it really matters, right? I know its easy to say that, but I can genuinely say that there is more to this than meets the eye. Think about it like this. The largest consumers in golf are in the US. Its not close right now. Switching to another tour, could lead to less sponsor dollars for players, which in turn would have to be weighed appropriately.

I see the PGL appealling to the guys who are in the top 50-100 range...who aren't making big money on tour week in and out, and aren't making big money off their sponsorships/endorsements.

I also see this drawing interest from the Euros as an opportunity to cash in too.

It will all come down to what PGA events the PGL competes against...as an opportunity for $10mil PGL vs. the Byron Nelson or Colonial (local events for me...) would probably go in favor of the PGL event -- and that sucks, but I get it...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Premier Golf League? What the hell is that?!?!

Seriously... I'm clueless and this is the first I've heard of it :unsure:

Switching to another tour, could lead to less sponsor dollars for players, which in turn would have to be weighed appropriately.

You think? Or would some sponsors take a chance on supporting a guy jumping to the PGL and being successful...thus putting their brand in the spotlight...?

I just want the television product to not be utter ****, so hopefully they will change for the better with how this all shakes out.

I just want the television product to not be utter ****, so hopefully they will change for the better with how this all shakes out.
Another chance for FOX to get into the golf arena...other than the US Open....? Hmmmm

You think? Or would some sponsors take a chance on supporting a guy jumping to the PGL and being successful...thus putting their brand in the spotlight...?

No, I do not think that.

Do we as content consumers care whether it's the PGA Tour or some other tour if all the big names show up on our television or local courses?

I love the idea of competition, as long as the big events remain in tact (top five, naturally).

Back