Moving - Hire Movers or Rent Truck

Mmaynard11

Grandaddy Captain Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Alright fellas...so here is the question. We are scheduled to move our stuff down tonFlorida from Ohio in a month. We’ve had a few moving quotes & they are anywhere from $2000 - $10000+. Honestly we aren’t taking all of our stuff, most of our stuff is already packed in the garage. I’ve looked at U-Haul and I can rent a truck, pack it & drive down for under $2,600. I’m skeptical about movers, I’ve heard & read the horror stories.

What would you do? Anyone have any discount codes for U-Haul or know a well recommended moving company?

movers........for that far? Movers.

Alright fellas...so here is the question. We are scheduled to move our stuff down tonFlorida from Ohio in a month. We’ve had a few moving quotes & they are anywhere from $2000 - $10000+. Honestly we aren’t taking all of our stuff, most of our stuff is already packed in the garage. I’ve looked at U-Haul and I can rent a truck, pack it & drive down for under $2,600. I’m skeptical about movers, I’ve heard & read the horror stories.

What would you do? Anyone have any discount codes for U-Haul or know a well recommended moving company?

Being as both my wife and I are in our middle to upper 60s right now I would hire movers. We're getting too old to do the moving thing any more by ourselves.

Not to mention that at our destination they will just be unloading into a garage...so not that difficult.

It’s more about the driving of a truck.

movers........for that far? Movers.

That would definitely be my son & his friends trying to navigate items down the steps.

Not to mention that at our destination they will just be unloading into a garage...so not that difficult.

It’s more about the driving of a truck.

Send David a PM pretty sure he can help you with a minimalist to full scale move

That would definitely be my son & his friends trying to navigate items down the steps.
are you not getting any relocation assistance?

Send David a PM pretty sure he can help you with a minimalist to full scale move
That’s right him & I talked about this last time I almost moved to Florida 4 years ago.

If this was college, you could get a bunch of guys to do it for beers.

You'll be driving yourself down to Florida even if you hire movers, correct? It might be worth driving Uhaul down. Any extra cost for going one-way?

If this was college, you could get a bunch of guys to do it for beers.

You'll be driving yourself down to Florida even if you hire movers, correct? It might be worth driving Uhaul down. Any extra cost for going one-way?
You got that right...then flying back. We won’t fully relocate until end of May.

Take what you can yourself, then have movers take what you can’t.

If you don't have anything really big to move, ie: piano, pool table, really large heavy furniture then probably move yourself. If you have any of those items that are going then I would say movers. The drive in a Uhaul or Penske rental truck won't be that bad. Worst case the truck breaks down and you have to transfer the whole truck to another truck.

Give me a few hours and I’ll give you a full write up.

If it were me, I would definitely choose to haul it myself.

Just the peace of mind alone, knowing where all your stuff is, would be worth it to me.

If you don't have anything really big to move, ie: piano, pool table, really large heavy furniture then probably move yourself. If you have any of those items that are going then I would say movers. The drive in a Uhaul or Penske rental truck won't be that bad. Worst case the truck breaks down and you have to transfer the whole truck to another truck.
? you could have left that last piece off.

Going that far I’d probably go the movers route. When I bought my house 2.5 years ago we hired movers for the first time as we’d used up our lifetime allotment of family helping.

Maybe it was because it was Friday and they wanted to start their weekend but those guys literally ran the entire time. I just stayed the hell out of their way. What would have taken us 2 full days to do they had done in 4 hours. Since I was paying by the hour, they made a rather substantial tip.

I hope to never move again but if I do I hope that I can afford movers again. So easy and stress free.

It would depend on the size of the truck. Some state highways may have issues with certain sized trucks and weights where you would need to do weigh ins, and as a everyday Joe you wouldn't know and could run into an issue. Even when I rented a 18' truck just to pick up a dining table, we were technically over the weight. When I moved from our condo to our house in a 24' truck, we were definitely over and should not have taken the parkway.

Just something to look into if you decide to drive it yourself.

That said, would be a fun road trip, but definitely uncomfortable if for many hours

It would depend on the size of the truck. Some state highways may have issues with certain sized trucks and weights where you would need to do weigh ins, and as a everyday Joe you wouldn't know and could run into an issue. Even when I rented a 18' truck just to pick up a dining table, we were technically over the weight. When I moved from our condo to our house in a 24' truck, we were definitely over and should not have taken the parkway.

Just something to look into if you decide to drive it yourself.

That said, would be a fun road trip, but definitely uncomfortable if for many hours

now that is somethingI never thought about.
Give me a few hours and I’ll give you a full write up.
Thanks man much appreciated.

Where in Florida? Here's the deal....Many areas have frequent/weekly estate sale type auctions...We moved to Florida 10 years ago. Moved ourselves. I bought a 6 by 12 and filled it and towed it. When there sold the trailer for $200 less than paid for it. We didn't move hardly any of our furniture. We gave to our kids and sold rest. In Florida we filled our house with stuff from estate sales.....Mostly more upscale stuff and at good prices. We were in Port St Lucie...Palm City Auction was 20 miles away and much high end stuff cheap. You can google Palm City Auction...We were early 50's when we did the move....Little sweat never hurts. Ha

I am hiring movers every day of the week. I can just imagine my wife and I doing the move ourselves. Might need a divorce lawyer soon after, as she would probably kill me after I broke everything.

When I was younger I always preferred to do it myself and save money. Last time I did it in my late 40’s it took me 2 weeks to recover from the soreness. That was the last move I’ll do.

How much is your time worth?

There is absolutely no way I would move myself anymore. College was fine. Now I’m too old and my time and joints are too valuable.

Do both. Hire movers at both ends to load and unload but drive the truck yourself.

This way you skip the lifting, get to keep all of your stuff and it will arrive when you do.

Back