Wilson Staff Duo Soft+ and Duo Soft+ Optix Golf Balls

Looks like a good inexpensive ball option

I agree, they almost seem translucent. Would be interesting to see in person.

Interesting you should say that. I get that translucent impression from the 2019 Optix.

Last edited:
Definitely on the radar for both of these offerings. Great price point, and I love an orange/red ball.

Was given a trial sleeve of the Duo Soft +. Gonna try them out. I've hit the previous Duo Soft ball before, so I'm interested if there are any performance differences! Also, looked at the Duo Soft + optix balls. Colors do seem a little more matte or less vibrant than the previous generation. I apologize for not grabbing a picture.

IMG_1634.JPGIMG_1635.JPGIMG_1636.JPGIMG_1637.JPG

Played a Wilson Duo-Soft ball about 3 months ago, and noticed a crack in the ball. Chucked it and played another. Had no issues with a some others until about a month after my first ball cracked. I hit my drive with no issue, then my wedge shot sounded really weird. The putt also sounded weird. I didn't look closely at the ball until I hit my drive and I could immediately tell there was an issue. Looked at the ball and there was a crack between the Wilson Staff and the shield. I sent Wilson an e-mail stating my issue and offered to send them the ball. Haven't heard a word from them. Not really expecting anything because these were just winter balls, but at least you would think that they would reply. I resent my e-mail 2 weeks ago, no reply. Won't use these again ever although I still play the professional.

I like the colors. When I started playing in 1992 or thereabouts someone I worked with made mention of my yellow golf balls. “Yellow is for tennis, orange is for basketball.” I succumbed to peer pressure and bought white golf balls when my yellow ones were lost.

Now I’ll play whatever maker and whichever color. If it’s helps my game, I don’t mind. If someone is offended by the color of my golf balls, they can buy me the ones they want me to play. And I will. Til they’re gone and I’ll play what I want again.:)

Awaiting your impressions. The Duo Soft Optix is currently my favorite ball.

Red ones might be on my list for outings!

Not a bad ball

Played a Wilson Duo-Soft ball about 3 months ago, and noticed a crack in the ball. Chucked it and played another. Had no issues with a some others until about a month after my first ball cracked. I hit my drive with no issue, then my wedge shot sounded really weird. The putt also sounded weird. I didn't look closely at the ball until I hit my drive and I could immediately tell there was an issue. Looked at the ball and there was a crack between the Wilson Staff and the shield. I sent Wilson an e-mail stating my issue and offered to send them the ball. Haven't heard a word from them. Not really expecting anything because these were just winter balls, but at least you would think that they would reply. I resent my e-mail 2 weeks ago, no reply. Won't use these again ever although I still play the professional.
Don't blame you for taking that position. Too many great brands to play vesus waiting on Wilson to respond.

Just got an email from the PGA SS featuring these. They describe the cover perfectly - semi-translucent.

What really caught my attention is the cover is decribed as "High Resilience Polybutadiene." Not Surlyn (ionomer). Not urethane. Interesting.

Update - I think it's a typo. I think they meant "core" instead of "cover."

Just found one of these at work near the runway, and love the colour. As Snell balls I use are back ordered until the end of March, may as well try this out. How soft are these? Are they like Chrome Softs? Those are just too soft for me off the putter.
ef0ca573792fdd6929157ff99cb2d0b4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Softer than Chromesoft. Softer than Supersoft, my former go-to ball, but I like these better off the putter (firmer.) I wouldn't rule it out just yet. (EDIT: from what I remember about Chromesoft, the Staff Duo will feel softer off the putter.}

I cracked one about a month ago and another one 2 weeks prior. Sent 2 e-mails to Wilson thinking they would respond maybe wanting some kind of information (still have the ball), but haven't heard a word. Scratch Wilson Duo Soft. That said, I still like their professional ball!

Just found one of these at work near the runway, and love the colour. As Snell balls I use are back ordered until the end of March, may as well try this out. How soft are these? Are they like Chrome Softs? Those are just too soft for me off the putter.
ef0ca573792fdd6929157ff99cb2d0b4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just have this thing about blue balls. I don't like blue balls.

I tried a sleeve of the professional in yellow and the color really popped but it wasn't very durable, almost like it was painted on. Curious if these are the same.

I like that blue color but I imagine you would lose it in the sky on a nice day.

Aww man. Sucks they’re cracking and Wilson isn’t responding.

Thats ridiculous regardless of the price. Plus no excuse for poor customer support. Maybe the PD team for balls should take the calls.

The TXG video confirms that with Matt's full speed driver swing and average male driver speed the soft golf ball is losing ball speed versus the ProV1 as a base line. Maybe the low spin properties are beneficial for longer irons and straighter drives, but it appears if you're after absolute ball speed you're better off with a harder ball.

Dave

I was just playing with the matte red Duo Optix today. The verdict is still out on how they perform for me. But I like matte golf balls. My go to for now is the OnCore Avant 55 green.

The TXG video confirms that with Matt's full speed driver swing and average male driver speed the soft golf ball is losing ball speed versus the ProV1 as a base line. Maybe the low spin properties are beneficial for longer irons and straighter drives, but it appears if you're after absolute ball speed you're better off with a harder ball.

Dave

peep those yardages though!

they actually touch on a point that few remember to make - we don't play golf on launch monitors, we play on a course where total distance is actual distance

Back